Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

Samuel Blink and the Forbidden Forest
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > The best MG book I read in DECEMBER was...

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jacci (jaccit) | 59 comments I'm reading Samuel Blink and the Forbidden forest. It's very entertaining and fun.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The only MG book I read this month was Rowan of the Wood. I really liked the mythical mix of Celtic history and legends intertwined with a contemporary plot. The writing style was a bit elaborate for my tastes however, and at some points the plot kinda dragged.
Rowan of the Wood

Jacci (jaccit) | 59 comments Evelyn, that's not terribly dissimilar to the one I read! But, I'm listening to it on tape which I think always makes the books more fun.

message 4: by Beth (last edited Dec 25, 2012 06:27PM) (new)

Beth The best book I read in December was Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies by Andrea Beaty. I began laughing from the beginning. This book would be great for reluctant readers and those that enjoy graphic novels (It's a clever mix of both!). My son read it with me (he's 12), and he really enjoyed it as well! The stinker even finished it before me! Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies by Andrea Beaty Andrea Beaty

Jacci (jaccit) | 59 comments Wow, never heard of that one, thanks Beth!

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth Jacci wrote: "Wow, never heard of that one, thanks Beth!"

I almost didn't get it for our library, but it looked like a good book for reluctant readers. I'm glad I got it now! I can't wait to talk it up with the kids!

message 7: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 4 comments I think The Miraculous Journey of Edward Trane. It was an awesome read for me this Christmas.

message 8: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) I read A Year Down Yonder (A Long Way from Chicago, #2) by Richard Peck . I had finished a group read of A Long Way from Chicago (A Long Way from Chicago, #1) by Richard Peck with my class but had never read the sequel, so I read it as a read-aloud. The kids were excited to revisit Grandma Dowdel and Mary Alice. I loved both of these books because they were funny and heartwarming at the same time.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1662 comments Mod
Love Richard Peck! I think he's me of the best MG (and older)writers. I count him as an inspiration for my writing--especially the humor part.

message 10: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) Rebecca, I love his writing too. So funny. I need to read a few more of his books.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Jacci wrote: "Evelyn, that's not terribly dissimilar to the one I read! But, I'm listening to it on tape which I think always makes the books more fun."

So true! I love audiobooks. Best ever is Watership Down. I can't think of an age group that wouldn't love that book.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Melinda wrote: "I think The Miraculous Journey of Edward Trane. It was an awesome read for me this Christmas."

Oooh I love love love that book, it's so magical, what a great idea to read it at Christmas!

message 13: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 4 comments Evelyn wrote: "Melinda wrote: "I think The Miraculous Journey of Edward Trane. It was an awesome read for me this Christmas."

Oooh I love love love that book, it's so magical, what a great idea to read it at Chr..."

It was actually suggested to me by my librarian. I was not sure how I would like it but has to be the best suggested to me yet.

Jacci (jaccit) | 59 comments Evelyn wrote: "Jacci wrote: "Evelyn, that's not terribly dissimilar to the one I read! But, I'm listening to it on tape which I think always makes the books more fun."

So true! I love audiobooks. Best ever is Wa..."

Evelyn wrote: "Jacci wrote: "Evelyn, that's not terribly dissimilar to the one I read! But, I'm listening to it on tape which I think always makes the books more fun."

Hahaha, I made the mistake of showing the animated version of that to my kids and they are still terrified of it.

Jacci (jaccit) | 59 comments Rebecca wrote: "Love Richard Peck! I think he's me of the best MG (and older)writers. I count him as an inspiration for my writing--especially the humor part."

I have not actually read Richard Peck, will have to look for him.

message 16: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mldavisreads) The best book I read in December was The False Prince. I listened to it on audio and loved it. It's about a kingdom where the royal family was recently assassinated and one of the noblemen is trying to create a stand-in for the long lost younger prince. On another note, both of those Richard Peck books mentioned earlier are great on audio-- the accents are so amusing!

Jacci (jaccit) | 59 comments Mandy wrote: "The best book I read in December was The False Prince. I listened to it on audio and loved it. It's about a kingdom where the royal family was recently assassinated and one of the noblemen is tryi..."
That sounds good!

message 18: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 48 comments Gustav Gloom and the People Taker I so liked Gustav even though he's so gloomy. Best for 8 and up cause it centers around a spooky house and it's inhabitants. I also picked up Keeper of the Lost Cities from the library and really enjoyed it.

Jacci (jaccit) | 59 comments Haven't heard of those, thanks Brenda!

message 20: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 48 comments Mandy wrote: "The best book I read in December was The False Prince. I listened to it on audio and loved it. It's about a kingdom where the royal family was recently assassinated and one of the noblemen is tryi..."

I keep meaning to get this one, it does sound good.

message 21: by Mary Alise (new)

Mary Alise Herrera (maherrera) | 4 comments I read "with my ears" THE UNWANTEDS. Loved the combo of dystopia and magic and am looking forward to the second book!

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth Jacci wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Love Richard Peck! I think he's me of the best MG (and older)writers. I count him as an inspiration for my writing--especially the humor part."

I have not actually read Richard P..."

He's one I need to read too!

message 23: by Beth (new)

Beth Mary Alise wrote: "I read "with my ears" THE UNWANTEDS. Loved the combo of dystopia and magic and am looking forward to the second book!"

That book was great! I can't wait to read the next one!

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie  (plumcrazy22) Evelyn wrote: "Jacci wrote: "Evelyn, that's not terribly dissimilar to the one I read! But, I'm listening to it on tape which I think always makes the books more fun."

I know I read that book in high school (+20 years ago) and liked it until the bunnies died. That's all I can seem to remember is that the bunnies died. :( I've thought about rereading it, but I just haven't had the heart. I got so attached to those rabbits. I guess that's the sign of good writing.

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie  (plumcrazy22) I really liked reading Kit from the American Girl series. I thought she had alot of spunk. She's not really a girly-girl. She loves baseball, writes a newspaper for her family....all during the Depression, so it's historical fiction. An easy way to introduce Depression. Kids may find some similiarities between their life now and back then.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) I'm finally coming to grips with the fact that Richard Peck and Robert Newton Peck are two different people, even though they've actually a lot in common. In fact, if you like one, you'll probably like the other.

Compare and contrast: Dukes and The River Between Us. ;)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.