The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Elizabeth Gaskell Advice

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachael (last edited Mar 03, 2009 05:50PM) (new)

Rachael (rprensner) I'd like to try a Gaskell novel, but there seems to be a number of strong candidates: Mill on the Floss, Mary Barton, North and South, Wives and Daughters. Where should I start? I guess I should say, just as a hint, that probably simpler would be better. I'm trying to read Wuthering Heights right now and it's becoming a bit of a struggle to get through.

message 2: by Allison (last edited Mar 03, 2009 05:14PM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) North and South :-) I'm reading it now and it is going to be one of my favorite books. Also, there is a lovely BBC miniseries based on the book.

I've seen the BBC miniseries for Wives and Daughters, and its good as well.

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Oh...I just noticed Pride and Prejudice is one of your favorite books...

North and South is much better, in my opinion...it's Mr. Thornton is a much better 'hero' than Mr. Darcy.

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I have read Last of the Mohicans, and it was a struggle for me. North and South is excellent. I would suggest you start with that. It's lighter than the others.

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Did Gaskell write another book called Last of the Mohicans? Cause...Last of the Mohicans is by James Fenimore Cooper

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) oh, you took it off...cool.

None of the other books matter anyway...only North and South :)

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Micha wrote: "Permanent Passenger: My Life on a Cruise Ship

Excellent behind the scenes look at life on a cruise ship"

LOL!!!! Can you say SPAM? Oh my goodness...I just laughed so hard.

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments This fool has been here before.... I sent a warning to one of the threads that he is back to send us his garbage!! Seriously, GET A LIFE!!!

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I'm sure his book is just top notch if this is what he has to resort to.

message 10: by Allison (last edited Mar 04, 2009 06:42AM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) hey...stupid man. This is a thread about ELIZABETH GASKELL books. You are not "in the flow" of conversation.

But, you ARE an idiot.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Woooo! Remind me not to get on Fiona's bad side!

Hey Lori, I move that we elect Fiona as Associate Super Mod - what do you think ??? She's got your killer instincts!

message 12: by Laura (last edited Mar 12, 2009 07:49PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Hey Fiona, Allison & anyone else who wants to throw in their 2 cents - back to Elizabeth Gaskell.

I have the following books, and choosing which to read next:

1. North & South - you know who
2. Howl's Moving Castle - you ALSO know who
3. Good Night Mr. Tom - Michelle Magorian
4. The Audacity of Hope - Mr. President

Any thoughts?

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Hey Laura...you should read North & South first, then you and I should read Howl's together ;)

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I thought this would be a challenge for you

;)

Just wait till An Air That Kills comes in, then you'll be completely flummoxed!

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Good idea Allison! I'd love to read Howl's with you! But if I know you, you'd finish in 2 hours, and I'd be done in like a week!

:)

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I have the audio version, so it was gonna be my fall asleep/I can't sleep book. Although if it's like The Loop, it'll keep me awake instead! I like the lady who reads it, Jenny Sterlin, she does Laurie King's Beekeeper's Apprentice series. I think.

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) whatever :P We probably read at the exact same pace

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) OK, I think I figured it out. I have N&S in paper, Howl's on CD, so I'll read them both! Prob. start N&S this weekend, and I'll start Howls when I finish Wesley the Owl. Prob by Friday nite.

sound good Allison?

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Is Mr. Tom relating to WWII?

message 20: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) yay, sounds good! I'm reading N&S right now anyway :) just over half done. I'll probably read a Stephanie Plum or something and then start Howl's.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) YAY! Shall we start a thread?

message 22: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) *ahem* Fiona? No book pushing from you.

Laura...yay start a thread!

message 23: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) so should a lovely book called Anne of Green Gables

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) That's a great one too! That was my 1st book for 2009. I'd like to eventually read the series, have you Allison?

message 25: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) well of course :) The whole series is lovely.

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I think I've read them like 10 times, seriously. My FAVORITE books ever probably, if you consider how long I've loved them and how many times I've read them.

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) Start with Cranford. Its by the far the easiest read, very Jane Austen and gently amusing. If you like Pride and Prejudice, you will find Cranford very easy reading. Btw, Mill on the Floss is by George Eliot.

message 28: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 271 comments I'm nervous about reading a Cranford novel, because my friend (a huge Jane Austen buff) tried and said she was a bit hard to get through. BUT the BBC versions of her stuff are AMAZING. If the miniseries is anything to go by, try North and South first. That miniseries became my friends and mine favorite and we re-watched it numerous times. If you like Pride and Prejudice, you should really like this, because it's very, very similar.

Cranford was also made into a really good BBC miniseries. Don't know about the book (a collection of short stories, right?), but if Petra X says they're good, I'll take her word for it.