David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Archive's > New Years Resolutions!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) Do you have a New Year's Resolutions? Tell us about it and why?

message 2: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
So tough! I think to try to get less stressed a out getting my next book out. I drive Adele nuts right now because I finish one book and a obsessive about starting the next one lol.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) I bet most authors are like that, David. A lot of pressure to put out the next book. That's why I'm a reader, not a writer. (Besides the fact that I suck at writing.) Haha!

It's not necessarily a New Year's resolution but I need to get back to the gym. I've got at least 30 more lbs. to lose (maybe 50) and diet alone isn't going to do it. Ugh.

message 4: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

You can do it Shannen!!

message 5: by Allie (new)

Allie | 224 comments I think mine is going to be work on my music more. Like write more songs and be more confident with my voice.

message 6: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

That's a great idea! I have zero musical talent so I'll leave it to you ;)

message 7: by Jonel (new)

Jonel Ok, so maybe someone here can help me with my New Years goal. It's going to be reading related. Based on my math (and if I've managed to bungle this simple math, don't laugh too hard) 156 books is 3 a week for the year. Is this too easy, too hard, or managable but definitely a goal to work for?

message 8: by Allie (new)

Allie | 224 comments I've been told I can sing, I play trumpet to! Tough work, you have to have a pair of lungs to play it. And I love singing and I'm glad people like to hear me sing.

Which reminds me, today my friend and I got up at our school assembly and sang Jingle Bells in front of everyone :)

message 9: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Jonel wrote: "Ok, so maybe someone here can help me with my New Years goal. It's going to be reading related. Based on my math (and if I've managed to bungle this simple math, don't laugh too hard) 156 books i..."

Wow! I'd say it's doable, but definitely a major challenge, at least for me it would be :) My advice: make sure you pick plenty of short books LOL!

message 10: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Ally*Lou's Girl*Tomlinson wrote: "I've been told I can sing, I play trumpet to! Tough work, you have to have a pair of lungs to play it. And I love singing and I'm glad people like to hear me sing.

Which reminds me, today my frie..."

Wow! I could never do that. I'd freak out lol! Not only do you have lungs, but guts too! Next up: American Idol!

message 11: by Allie (new)

Allie | 224 comments Haha! My friend made me, but it was so much fun! I love preforming in front of people! Public Speaking is like my favorite thing ever!

And I'll probably go on The X Factor instead, I never really liked American Idol haha

message 12: by DeAnna (new)

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments Jonel wrote: "Ok, so maybe someone here can help me with my New Years goal. It's going to be reading related. Based on my math (and if I've managed to bungle this simple math, don't laugh too hard) 156 books i..."

I don't think it's too easy, unless you read mostly novellas! I'd say it's doable, but you'd probably have to be pretty diligent about it.

message 13: by Jonel (new)

Jonel David wrote: "Jonel wrote: "Ok, so maybe someone here can help me with my New Years goal. It's going to be reading related. Based on my math (and if I've managed to bungle this simple math, don't laugh too har..."

Thanks for the input. :) It definitely needs to be a challenge and it's looking like this might be the right number.

message 14: by Jonel (new)

Jonel DeAnna wrote: "Jonel wrote: "Ok, so maybe someone here can help me with my New Years goal. It's going to be reading related. Based on my math (and if I've managed to bungle this simple math, don't laugh too har..."

Thanks for the help DeAnna!!!!

message 15: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Ally*Lou's Girl*Tomlinson wrote: "Haha! My friend made me, but it was so much fun! I love preforming in front of people! Public Speaking is like my favorite thing ever!

And I'll probably go on The X Factor instead, I never really..."

Lol! We watch all the singing shows, Voice, X factor, Idol. We're addicted!!

message 16: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) I make them but I'm not sure I ever follow through with them.

I've read over 200 this year Jonel so it is possible, but then sometimes on weekends I can read 4 or 5 books. 2 a day.

Maybe my new years resolution should be I will read 150 books this year then I can actually fulfill one of my resolutions LOL

message 17: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) lol...Im single, no children so the only thing that distracts me from reading is goodreads lol and tv of course.

message 18: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) its fun though and think of all the great people we meet!

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
I would have met my GR's reading goal long ago if I wasn't so addicted to GR!!! ;-)

message 20: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) I can relate I read way more last year, but I mod a couple groups and they take a lot of time. But I do enjoy it so I won't complain.

Jazzabella ~*~ Catherine~*~ (jazzabella) | 87 comments My New Years Resolution is to try not to get too many more books before I have read all the books I already have. Its going to be really hard for me because I am always finding more and more books that I want to read!

message 22: by Martha (new)

Martha  (iread1105) | 69 comments To read a great many more books! :D
And maybe expand my reading horizon.

I need to get outside more with my goldendoodle, Molly! We live across from an amazing park and I really need to cut back my work hours somehow! Nothing better than walking around the lake listening to a good audio book! And in Scottsdale, AZ, we're in perfect weather for it! So, 2 resolutions -- work less, and more time at the park!!

message 24: by Jonel (new)

Jonel Tana wrote: "I make them but I'm not sure I ever follow through with them.

I've read over 200 this year Jonel so it is possible, but then sometimes on weekends I can read 4 or 5 books. 2 a day.

Maybe my new ..."

Haha. I definitely know what you mean Tana. I can definitely read 4+ books on a weekend, especially if it's rainy out.

message 25: by Jonel (new)

Jonel Catherine wrote: "My New Years Resolution is to try not to get too many more books before I have read all the books I already have. Its going to be really hard for me because I am always finding more and more books ..."

This sounds like an amazing goal Catherine. I wish you all the best with it. I know I could never do it. :)

message 26: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Catherine wrote: "My New Years Resolution is to try not to get too many more books before I have read all the books I already have. Its going to be really hard for me because I am always finding more and more books ..."

LOL! I'm reasonably good at this. I keep my TBR at 30 books or less, and I can't add one until I finish one off of it :) I'm very OCD about my TBR. I look over it every so often and "make cuts" if there are books that I'm not really that interested in reading and there are others I want to add!

message 27: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Karen wrote: "I need to get outside more with my goldendoodle, Molly! We live across from an amazing park and I really need to cut back my work hours somehow! Nothing better than walking around the lake listen..."

Now that is a perfect resolution, you should definitely do it! It's the little things in life, right? And there's always more work, so we have to enjoy life while we can. This is really hard for me to, because I love "working" since working is writing. Right now, I'm taking a break from Ice Country while Adele and I visit the Mayan ruins for 4 days. It's soooo hard for me to not write at all, even for one day LOL! I need to learn to let go a little more :)

message 28: by Allie (new)

Allie | 224 comments David wrote: "Ally*Lou's Girl*Tomlinson wrote: "Haha! My friend made me, but it was so much fun! I love preforming in front of people! Public Speaking is like my favorite thing ever!

And I'll probably go on Th..."

Well maybe one day you'll see me! :)

David wrote: "Catherine wrote: "My New Years Resolution is to try not to get too many more books before I have read all the books I already have. Its going to be really hard for me because I am always finding mo...".

Ohmygosh David. I do the same thing about my TBR list. I have upcoming releases that haven't been started yet or the realistic one would be at 30 or 40. I also make cuts all the time and try not to spend time organizing the order I plan on reading. I think I may just be a tad bit OCD or "anal" as i call it. In my hardback library, all books are in alphabetical order by author by series. I freak out if anyone pulls a book out and puts it back in the wrong place. Same with DVD's. My family and friends laugh it off and love me anyway!

David wrote: "Karen wrote: "I need to get outside more with my goldendoodle, Molly! We live across from an amazing park and I really need to cut back my work hours somehow! Nothing better than walking around t..."

I work from home and own my own company. I am diligent about making sure everything possible is done before leaving my office for the day ( night, who am I kidding) so normally don't walk out until 8, at the earliest. My poor pup sits and stares thinking she can hypnotize me into getting up and go play with her. Heheheh... It's that analness at it again. Just one more email... one more report that I could finish... Definitely going to make a better effort this next year. This year (2012) I made a rule, nooooo weekends. Office door gets shut and have done well at following that resolution! On to 2013!

Jazzabella ~*~ Catherine~*~ (jazzabella) | 87 comments David wrote: "

I could only hope that one day I will have that kind of control over mine! I blame it all on the Kindle store. I can get books faster then I can read them :( I am very determined to work on it really hard though!

message 32: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Karen wrote: "David wrote: "Catherine wrote: "My New Years Resolution is to try not to get too many more books before I have read all the books I already have. Its going to be really hard for me because I am alw..."

Omg you are so like me Karen!

message 33: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Catherine wrote: "David wrote: "

I could only hope that one day I will have that kind of control over mine! I blame it all on the Kindle store. I can get books faster then I can read them :( I am very determined to..."

Yeah, Kindle is the angel and the devil! Makes it waaay to easy to get books :)

message 34: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Karen wrote: "David wrote: "Karen wrote: "I need to get outside more with my goldendoodle, Molly! We live across from an amazing park and I really need to cut back my work hours somehow! Nothing better than wa..."

Ooh, I understand. When it's your company you have that extra motivation. That's similar to writing too. I think if I can write 4,000 words per day instead of 3,000, then I can get the book out 18 days soon or something like that, which will make my readers happier. Now I'm up to a quota of 5,000 a day and I think Adele's going to kill me! Not long ago my goal was 2,000 a day so it's getting out of control!!

message 35: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Oh and your pup sounds awesome, Karen!

Adele may want to kill you, but your readers are ecstatic!! ;-) We love 5,000 words a day! (Sorry Adele!)

And, yea, my doodle is a sweetheart and I'm so grateful that I work from home now and she can stay by my side all day! She keeps me sane. She loves the grandkids! Her favorite game when they came over was to chase them down and sit on their heads! She used to be bigger than they were up until a couple years ago. Too funny. They'd giggle and squeal and all you could see were arms and legs waving around under her.

message 37: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Black (ruby_black)

Happy New Years!

message 38: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Karen wrote: "Adele may want to kill you, but your readers are ecstatic!! ;-) We love 5,000 words a day! (Sorry Adele!)

And, yea, my doodle is a sweetheart and I'm so grateful that I work from home now and she..."

Aww so cute! If you don't mind my asking, what kind of business do you have?

message 39: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Ruby wrote: "

Happy New Years!"

Lol!!

message 40: by Lola (last edited Dec 26, 2012 01:22PM) (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments I guess my new years resolution would be to renew my efforts of looking for a job. And continue to try and get more followers on my new blog.
Although i actually never do new years resolutions and prefer to go with the flow.

message 41: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Sounds good, those are very practical and well though our resolutions Lolita :)

David wrote: "Karen wrote: "Adele may want to kill you, but your readers are ecstatic!! ;-) We love 5,000 words a day! (Sorry Adele!)

And, yea, my doodle is a sweetheart and I'm so grateful that I work from ho..."

I own a community associations management company.... HOA's..! And no, not something you say, I want to grow up and be a Community Manager! Hahahah... It's one of those thankless jobs but someone's got to do it. It's an economy proof business at least! ;-)

message 43: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Aww wow, you get a BIG thank you from me!! You deserve thanks every once in a while no matter what you do!

message 44: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Nacole (brandynacole) I don't really set New Year's resolutions either. I know what my lifelong goals are and that's where I keep my focus. I want nothing more than to do the best as I can as a mother, wife, friend, writer, and reader. I keep my focus in that order and always keep my goals in mind. I do stop on a daily basis and ask myself, how did I do? If I don't like the results of the day, I change them. I have noticed that I'm becoming a little obsessed with keeping up with my blog, fb page, goodreads, and trying to spread the word. I don't like this because I don't want that to cut into my family time so it has cut into my writing time. If I was going to set a goal, it would be to quit obsessing over all this, focus back on my writing, but still check in every once in a while.

message 45: by Dione (new)

Dione Sage | 10 comments This will be the first year I don't make a New Year's Resolution. That is because this year will also be the year I start on my "List of things I have always wanted to do"... It's a list I put together of things I wanted to do, places I want to see and new hobbies I want to try (all realistic things though that I could do but just have always put off or been afraid to try)

message 46: by Bonny Bon Bon (new)

Bonny Bon Bon (bonnybonbon) | 44 comments Like a few of you, im not really one to make new years resolutions because basically a week after i do they get thrown out of the window but hey why not. Mine would b to lose 20kgs, go on at least 1 date and to go to america :D not necessarily in that order lol

message 47: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Brandy wrote: "I don't really set New Year's resolutions either. I know what my lifelong goals are and that's where I keep my focus. I want nothing more than to do the best as I can as a mother, wife, friend, w..."

I know exactly what you mean. It's so easy to get obsessive with things, especially because of the Internet. There's got to be a balance which I'm always struggling with

message 48: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Dione wrote: "This will be the first year I don't make a New Year's Resolution. That is because this year will also be the year I start on my "List of things I have always wanted to do"... It's a list I put toge..."

Ooh yay, I love that idea!!

message 49: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinabee) | 22 comments Hmm, yes, I'm in the category of not making New Years resolutions, but when I do, I keep them simple and doable. So, I guess for 2013, my resolution will just be to pass all my classes and get my masters degree. Also maybe to stay in the UK for a bit longer (cause I really don't want to go back home to the states) lol. sounds doable, I hope. :/

message 50: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Definitely!! You can do it Alina!!