The Scarlet Letter The Scarlet Letter discussion

Learning from Faulkner

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tae (new)

Tae Kim Hester’s young daughter Pearl asks her mom “the sunshine does not love you. It runs away and hides itself, because it is afraid of something on your bosom.” She then says “I wear nothing on my bosom yet!” and “Will it not come of its own accord, when I am a woman grown?” These are the innocent questions of a little girl who does not understand what sin her mom has committed. Pearl’s mom says “Nor ever will, my child, I hope” about her daughter getting a scarlet letter stuck on her. This to me says that Hester is hoping that her daughter will learn from her mom’s mistakes and not have to go through what she did as a woman.

Anthea Carson I remember this from The Scarlet Letter, but I don't quite follow what this has to do with Faulkner. Can you elaborate on that?

Aleksandar Trapara This could be some sort of test, eh?

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim Or maybe this is the version of The Scarlet Letter written by Faulkner...

Tafan Kareem Not only Hester any normal devoted mother will always try to protect her child the best way she can!
guess Nathaniel Hawthorne also mentioned that in the novel, this is not something special about Faulkner's work..

Anne Schaetzke As I Lay Dying made me realize what a thin line there is between life and death.