The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

The Woman in White
This topic is about The Woman in White
2013 Group Reads - Archives > The Woman in White - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah | 269 comments Here is the proposed schedule for The Woman in White. I have tried to divide the sections into approximately 100 pages each, and since the holidays are upon us, I thought that perhaps it would be best to stretch the novel out over 6 weeks. However, if the consensus is to shorten it to one month, we can reconfigure the reading schedule. I have also tried to accommodate any editions of the novel that people might have by sticking to who is telling the narrative rather than figuring out consecutive chapters because of the way the book is written. If there are any problems, let me know!

Dec 31-Jan 7 The Story Begun by Walter Hartright

Jan 7-14 The Story Continued by Vincent Gilmore to The Story Continued by Marian Halcombe (the June 17th entry in chapter 3)

Jan 14-21 Finish The Story Continued by Marian Halcombe

Jan 21-28 The Story Continued by Frederick Fairlie, The Story Continued by Eliza Michelson, The Story Continued in Several Narratives, and The Story Continued by Walter Hartright to chapter 5

Jan 28-Feb 4 The Story Continued by Walter Hartright & The Story Continued by Mrs. Catherick

Feb 4-11 Rest of the novel

Lynnm | 3027 comments Thanks for posting, Sarah - looking forward to reading it!

message 3: by Zulfiya (last edited Dec 20, 2012 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 1596 comments Looks manageable, but to be on the safe side, I am going to listen to the Librivox audio. Otherwise I might get bogged in my numerous reading projects:-) I will rely on the paper copy to bookmark the sections and passages, but otherwise the audio versions often help to stay on track:-)

Julie (readerjules) I am good with spreading it out longer because I also need (want) to read Anna Karenina and Catch-22 during the same time period.

Sarah | 269 comments Thanks for your input! We can always extend the discussion for each section if need be. The schedule is definitely not written in stone, so as we go along we can decide if it's too much per week.

message 6: by Robin P, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 2109 comments Mod
I listened to this recently and hope to join in the discussion. Seeing the schedule listed made me realize that when I listened to it and Walter's part ended I didn't think I would ever hear from him again! One difference with audio - it's hard to skip ahead or even preview, so it's more like the experience of a weekly serial waiting for the next installment.

Sarah | 269 comments Hi, everyone. Because there seems to be a bit of a lull with the discussion of TWIW, I was wondering if you all would like to extend the discussion and reading time for each section. I was thinking that, if this is the consensus, would it be agreeable to just make each section two weeks instead of one? For instance, extending Part One's discussion through next week, and so on. That way anyone who would like more time can still participate in the discussion for that section, and that would give us all two weeks to discuss that segment of the novel. If we decided to do this, anyone could of course still read ahead and begin talking about later sections if they chose. Just a thought. I don't want to cause any interference with our upcoming read of Martin Chuzzlewit, though, so let me know what you think!

Casceil | 220 comments I vote for sticking to the original schedule. I think we will have another burst of discussion for part II when we get to its "start" date.

Douglas (douglasgperry) I can go either way with the discussion schedule. This book is a delight and I think there will much discussion as we go along.

Julie (readerjules) Well I haven't even had a chance to start the book yet, so maybe I'll being posting in week one's thread later whether everyone else moves on or not. :-)

Lynnm | 3027 comments I'm for sticking with the original schedule as well. It would be far too slow if each section was discussed over two weeks rather than the original one week.

message 12: by Deborah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4467 comments Mod
I think we should stick to the original schedule. As it is, I've already read the second piece and am trying to be patient about discussing that when the time comes.

Lynnm | 3027 comments Deborah wrote: "I think we should stick to the original schedule. As it is, I've already read the second piece and am trying to be patient about discussing that when the time comes."

I've read the second section as well. And I'm well into the third.

I think that what I'll do is write a post for the second week, save it to Word, and post it at the appropriate time. That way, I won't inadvertently post a spoiler.

This same thing happened for the Cricket on the Hearth - I read it in two days, and then was afraid to post because I didn't want to include spoilers. But then I missed out on the discussion.

message 14: by Deborah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynnm wrote: "Deborah wrote: "I think we should stick to the original schedule. As it is, I've already read the second piece and am trying to be patient about discussing that when the time comes."

I've read th..."

Good idea, Lynn. I was afraid to read any further for fear I would forget something.

Sarah | 269 comments Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Following the original schedule is perfectly fine with me. I was just concerned with not overwhelming anyone with too much reading, but since that doesn't seem to be an issue, I'm all for continuing ahead! As Julie commented, anyone can still post for the first discussion section whenever they get to it. That way no one needs to feel rushed. :-)

message 16: by Julie (last edited Jan 05, 2013 08:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julie (readerjules) Hopefully I will catch up at some point. I am reading Anna Karenina at the same time and started that late so it messed me all up. I am always overwhelmed with too much reading but that is my issue, not your fault. :-) TOO MANY BOOKS! hehe

message 17: by Deborah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julie wrote: "Hopefully I will catch up at some point. I am reading Anna Karenina at the same time and started that late so it messed me all up. I am always overwhelmed with too much reading but that is my issue..."

And I thought I was the only one

Sarah | 269 comments Julie wrote: "Hopefully I will catch up at some point. I am reading Anna Karenina at the same time and started that late so it messed me all up. I am always overwhelmed with too much reading but that is my issue..."

No worries! I know exactly how you feel! The workers at my home library know me intimately because most of the interlibrary materials that come in are mine! Plus I'm getting a Kindle soon, so my book addiction will know no bounds! Feel free to join in on any part of the discussion when you get a chance. I'll respond no matter when you post. :-)