Clean Romances discussion

Recommendations > Looking for Romances set in the 1800s

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nicole D. (last edited Apr 08, 2013 03:33PM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 17 comments Here you read Georgette Heyer?She wrote great books set in that period(Georgian and Regency):
Devil's Cub by Georgette Heyer , The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer , Cotillion by Georgette Heyer , Frederica by Georgette Heyer , The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer
She wrote these in the 1930-50s if I recall so it hasn't been a few years ago but Georgette Heyer is so funny and if you liked Austen I would try her.

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments I have never heard of Lori Wick - which of hers do you recommend?

Look at my bookshelf - they are like all regency romances. ;) I recommend in particular...
Edenbrooke - Julianne Donaldson - my FAVOURITE!!
Love Miss Delacourt Speaks her Mind by Heidi Ashworth and the sequel Miss Delacourt ha her Day
Also Amanda Grange has written many, all which j enjoyed (The Earl Next Door, The Silverton Scandal, Lord Deverill's secret are my favs I think. Love them all though)
Basically look at my bookshelf ;)

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thanks :) cool :)

and hope my recommendations are helpful as is my bookshelf :)

message 4: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments I was too quick ;)

I will check your bookshelf out then sometime!

Please me me know what you think!!

message 5: by Jean (new)

Jean Gordon (goodreadscomjeancgordon) | 56 comments The Women of Surprise series has just been released in paperback and ebook.

A Surprise for Abigail by Tracey Lyons Making Over Maggie by Tracey Lyons Lydia's Passion by Tracey Lyons

And Shelley Galloway (Shelley Shepard Gray) has a few she wrote for Avalon Books. Laurie Alice Eakes, too, wrote for Avalon Books.

Misty wrote: "Hi, I'm looking for some good Romances set during the 1800s. I've read all the ones Lori Wick has written, as well as all of Austen. I know there must be a ton more out there, any suggestions? I'm ..."

message 6: by Gerrie (last edited Dec 22, 2012 02:01PM) (new)

Gerrie | 16 comments Several wonderful Regency romances by modern authors that come to mind are:

Miss Thornrose and the Rake by Geraldine Burrows Miss Truelove Beckons by Donna Simpson , and A Loyal Companion by Barbara Metzger . All three books are very charming, especially the last one (where the heroine's dog is a major character).

You might also like the author Julie Klassen.

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Those three look great!! I assume they are all clean given the group? I am looking into Julie Klassen as well!! :D

message 8: by Gerrie (new)

Gerrie | 16 comments All are definitely clean.

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Ordered all three!! Any others you can recommend other than Julie Klassen? :)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ramsey (slramsey95) | 5 comments I love Tamera Alexander's books! They're all set in the 1800's USA!

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments USA interesting!! :)

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa_jagears) | 5 comments There is a whole list of historical clean books on this site that indexes them by year and location and misc. interests. (some may or may not be romances but you should be able to tell it by the description but the majority are) But they're all inspirational so they are all clean. Klassen and Wick are all there.

http://inspirationalhistoricalfiction...

If you like regency, just click on the regency tab and they all come up.

or WWII or marriage of conveniences or cowboys or gladiators or or mystery or bounty hunters or lighthouses or Klassen, etc.

And with Misty's recommendation, I LOVED Abby Gaines two through love inspired historicals,

(Yes, the love inspired historicals are all clean)

message 13: by Jean (new)

Jean Gordon (goodreadscomjeancgordon) | 56 comments Love Inspired historical and contemporary books are all clean (Inspirational) books.

Misty wrote: "I found these too when I was rooting around on Amazon. She's only written two but they're really good. They're part of an entire line, written by different authors, called "Love Inspired Historical..."

message 14: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thanks for the links!! Brilliant!!

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa_jagears) | 5 comments oh Soph, forgot to recommend Lori Wick books. Her later ones are not as good (might have some reason for why she quit...)so go for her earlier ones. The best series is the Kensington Chronicles in my opinion. The Hawk and the Jewel, Wings of the Morning, Who Brings Forth the Wind and The Knight and the Dove.

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thanks for the recommendations :)

message 17: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thank you!!

message 18: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Adams (marisa_adams) | 36 comments Soph,

I don't know if you have read any, but Janette Oak's Love Comes Softly series has always been one of my favorites. I read it for the first time in high school (actually destroyed my Mom's reading hers so much) and then have reread them over the years. The movies are nowhere near as good as the books though!

message 19: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thanks for the suggestion!! :D I haven't :)

message 20: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Adams (marisa_adams) | 36 comments Soph wrote: "Thanks for the suggestion!! :D I haven't :)"

She's pioneer series and inspirational. But, what I always liked about hers was I never felt they were over the top 'preachy'.

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thanks !! :)

message 22: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments I have been looking around the list and ordered a few (well 6 ;) ) ....

message 24: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Good!!

Which of Klassen'a are your favourite? She is next on my list :)

message 25: by Sandie (new)

Sandie Mixa (goodreadscomsandie) | 24 comments Sarah M. Eden's books are great regencies:
Seeking Persephone and Courting Miss Lancaster are ones I have read and she has others too.
Must mention MaryLu Tyndall here as one of my all time favorite authors. Most of hers are set in 1800s and have to do with ships/pirates/spunky heroines.
Marcia Lynn McClure's books primarily are 1800s romances. Noone writes a better kissing scene :)

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa_jagears) | 5 comments The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen is 2.99 today on Kindle if you have a kindle and it sounds interesting Soph

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Governes...

message 27: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments I have just ordered from amazon (adding to my 6 I have already ordered ;) ) The Girl and the Gatehouse and The Silent Governess :) cannot wait!!

message 28: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments I will have to check those others out :)

message 29: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Which are your favs by Marcia Lynn McClure? I love a good kissing scene ;)

message 30: by CarolynB (new)

CarolynB (carolynlb) | 35 comments The Silent Governess is one of my favorites!

message 31: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments :D can't wait!!

message 32: by Sandie (new)

Sandie Mixa (goodreadscomsandie) | 24 comments So many favorites of Marcia Lynn McClure's:
'The Heavenly Surrender, Dusty Britches, Highwayman of Tanglewood....
check out the descriptions yourself:

http://distractionsink.com/bookshelf/

message 33: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thanks!! I was looking at them.
Shackles of Honour sounds good (and its regency I think which is a bonus!)

message 34: by Ann (new)

Ann Herrick (annh) | 7 comments The Sarah Woolson mystery series by Shirley Tallman, while primarily mystery, of course, has a wonderful romance thread that runs through each book. In fact, I ordinarily don't read mysteries, but I love these because of the characters and the romance factor.
They take place in the late 1800s in San Francisco and Sarah Woolson is one of only three woman lawyers in SF at that time (she is fictional, but there were two real ones).

message 35: by Gerrie (new)

Gerrie | 16 comments I just thought of another wonderful Regency - a real tearjerker. It's Red, Red Rose by Marjorie Farrell. The hero, a soldier, fighting Napoleon on the Spanish Peninsula, is illegitimate. He rescues an officer's daughter from attack, but feels unworthy of her because of his birth status. This is one of the most moving stories I've ever read in the historical romance genre, and I highly recommend it.

Soph, I like all of Klassen's books, but two of my favorites are Lady Of Milkweed Manor and The Girl In The Gatehouse.

message 36: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thanks!! :)

message 37: by Jane (new)

Jane Godman (janegodman) Its not quite 1800s (set in 1745/6) but my own book The Rebel's Promise will be out in February. I won't pretend to be able to write like Georgette Heyer (!) but she is always my inspiration.
You can read an extract here http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...
Please do let me know what you think!

message 38: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Just answered my question! :)
I will take a look at the extract! :D

message 39: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Sounds good!! :D will be looking out for that!

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisalu) | 28 comments Soph wrote: "Thanks!! I was looking at them.
Shackles of Honour sounds good (and its regency I think which is a bonus!)"

Shackles is my fave! Enjoy! Marcia is the best!

message 41: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments That is the one I am planning on reading first I think!! :)

message 42: by Jane (new)

Jane Godman (janegodman) Soph wrote: "Sounds good!! :D will be looking out for that!"
Thanks, Soph!

message 43: by Amber (new)

Amber (YA Indulgences) (yaindulgences) | 2 comments You could try the Ladies of Liberty series by Tracie Peterson. There's three books starting with...

A Lady of High Regard
A Lady of Hidden Intent
A Lady of Secret Devotion

I've only read the last one but I don't think their connected in any way from what I've read.

They take place in Philadelphia during the 1800s.

message 44: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thanks for the idea! Did you enjoy the last one?

message 45: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Adams (marisa_adams) | 36 comments I just finished an excellent story I think you would probably really enjoy. It is free on Amazon right now. It's called the Short Straw Bride. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

message 46: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thanks!! :)

message 47: by Ellitia (last edited Dec 30, 2012 04:11PM) (new)

Ellitia | 1 comments I've recently discovered Amelia Peabody which combines romance (clean) comedy and a good mystery. Also the traveling matchmaker is a good series.

message 48: by Zoe and the Edge (new)

Zoe and the Edge | 19 comments I LOVE Amelia Peabody! She is absolutely hilarious! Read it!

message 49: by Literary (new)

Literary  Chanteuse Have you checked out Ind'tale Magazine? Here's the link to some historical reviews for suggestions.

http://www.indtale.com/reviews/histor...

message 50: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 209 comments Thanks for the link!

« previous 1 3