The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > Book rental - netflix style

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
I know how many of you love your book collections, but I'm limited on space and looking for a way to perhaps save some money.

Has anyone every used http://www.bookswim.com - I'm thinking of joining but wanted to know if anyone else has tried this out.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I joined a different kind of site, I forget what its called. I had a hard time with it, because I couldnt ever find the books I was looking for.

But good luck!!

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments I haven't used BookSwim, but I have used Title Trader, which isn't quite the same thing but has worked well.

message 4: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments thought about using bookswim but couldn't commit.

there's also bookmooch and The Book Box group here on goodreads, which are sort of like titletrader.

message 5: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still undecided because of the price ranges - will I read that much or not. Hmmm..........

message 6: by Sera (new)

Sera Shannon, I just checked this out and it is really expensive. It's different when you watch a 90-120 minute movie, but reading books is a much longer process. The price should come down once they generate some efficiencies in regard to their business model and/or more competition enters the market. So if price is what's keeping you from trying it, I would give it wait a little bit.

I'm probably going to join the library some time this month. It's not very convenient for me, but I will probably give it a shot. I actually have two from which to choose, but one is very small (the closer one of course) and the other is more of a ride. When I lived in Indiana, I had a library right down the street from where I lived so I was always running in and out, especially on my way home from work. What a great way it was to transition from the work day.

message 7: by Summer (new)

Summer | 34 comments My public library is in a cooperative system with the rest of the county. Their catalogs are online accessable from a website and you can login and request books from any library to be delivered to the library of your choice. Other libraries, not mine-not yet, will deliver books to your home for a fee. These are not our parents' libraries!

message 8: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments I use Bookswim, as well as my local library and school library and I buy books and I have to admit, I love Bookswim. I don't have to worry about due dates, or getting something back in time. Their customer service is amazing. It takes only a day or two to get the books (sometimes it takes awhile sending them back though, like five days?). They have a wonderful selection and it's all really convenient. Plus you don't have to worry about something being 'sold out' and if they don't have the book already in their catalogue and you want it, they'll get it specifically for you (it usually only takes a day or so for them to have it for you). They've kind of gotten really popular lately so they're doing the best they can with everything and it's been kind of fun watching them grow. As a customer since the get go (back when they were in beta and had less then 1,000 members lol) it's been really exciting to see/watch the changes. I definitely recommend it, if you like Netflix then you'll love Bookswim. I swear I sound like I'm PUSHING the product but that's not it at all. It's just something I really enjoy. They have...literally, everything. Cookbooks, study guides, languages, fiction, non fiction, just...everything. And if they don't, like I said earlier, they'll get it for you.

If you have any questions about it I'd more than happy to help you out. :)

message 9: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Sera - thanks for the feedback. Our library is across town for me, but I'm not always happy with the selection there. A lot of the time I ended up borrowing my 3rd or 4th book pick. I can't really complain because it is free.

Summer- how cool is that? That would be great if they delivered to your house - for the lazy like me - ha.

Dee - I'm glad you like it. There are a lot of nonfiction books that I want to read right now and I can get through those fast. So... I think I may go for it at the end of the month. Thanks so much!!!!

message 10: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments You're welcome love, if you have any questions or anything let me know! Plus, if I recommend you via a link, you get your first month discounted I believe...

:) Either way, I hope you enjoy!

message 11: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) There was another service like that i used to belong to a couple of years ago.it's a little cheaper than bookswim.It was called booksfree.i think.Not ure if they are around but it doesn't hurt to look.

message 12: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments I joined something called paperbackswap.com which is a little different, but worth checking out. You post books that you don't want/need anymore then mail them at your expense to people and earn credits. Than when you want to spend a credit, someone mails one to you and you don't have to pay. I think postage is usually about $2.00. I too get a lot from our library because the catalogue is online now, like a lot of them are.