What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA girls working in mills, fiction

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 9 comments Looking for the name/author of a book I read in the 60s or early 70s. I think it was YA (altho nobody used that term then). The title has either or both of the words "light" and "candle." Great story about young women working at the Lowell (I think) mills. I also think it was quite popular.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Lyddie by Katherine Paterson talks about a girl working in the mills in Lowell. It doesn't have light or candle in the title, though.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris | 68 comments Call the Darkness Light by Nancy Zaroulis. Or Emmeline ( I think by Judith Dunbar)

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 9 comments I could almost swear that the Zaroulis is the one, but it can't possibly be because it was published in 1979. That's too late. It would have to be on or before 1976.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 9 comments It's not Lyddie or Emmeline, but thanks!

message 6: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Nabby Comes to Lowell? No candles or light, but published in 1969.

message 7: by Ariana (new)

message 8: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2112 comments Put this query in UNSOLVED since you're looking for only one book.

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 9 comments Thanks. I just did it. I'm still dying to find this book.

message 10: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2112 comments Only the book Light a single candle by Beverly Butler (not your book) from that time has both words so it may only have one of the suggested words in the title.

message 11: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 9 comments THAT'S IT!!!! Thank you!! I can't believe it.

message 12: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2112 comments Young women working in the mills?? (scratching my head here). Light a single candle by Beverly Butler is about a girl who loses her sight due to glaucoma. :)

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 9 comments Ha! Sorry. That's not it. Funny, though. I used to have that book. I wonder if I got the titles confused.

message 14: by bookel (last edited Jan 30, 2014 08:47PM) (new)

bookel | 2112 comments Maybe you did! But it's good to rediscover books you have read before. Its sequel is Gift of Gold.

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 9 comments Thanks, bookel.

message 16: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2112 comments In Access Pennsylvania library catalog I'm conducting this search
mill
subject: juvenile
Limited to: Year after 1930 and Year before 1975 and Language "English" and Material Type "BOOK" and 265 results found. sorted by date .

message 17: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2112 comments Was the mill story a new book at the time?

message 18: by bookel (last edited Jan 30, 2014 09:02PM) (new)

bookel | 2112 comments The girl with spunk by Judith St. George - 1975
" "This is where you work, and these here are jenny frames. Your foreman ain't here now, but one of the girls can show you what to do," the man said. "It's the easiest work in the mill, and there's no trick to learning it. Just take off the full bobbins, ..."

When Josie loses her job due to gossip, she realizes that the woman's rights convention could help her start a new life.

Set in 1848 in the days leading up to the first Woman's Rights Convention in Senecas Falls, NY. This story focuses on a young girl's (Josie) struggle as she becomes more confident.

message 19: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 9 comments No, not Spunk. I'm beginning to think it is the Nancy Zaroulis book. I have to get my hands on it to know for sure. Thank you so much. I'll report back.

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Nancy, did you find your book?

message 21: by Holly (last edited Jun 17, 2014 01:18AM) (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments I recently made a Listopia list about the Lowell Mills. Maybe it's on there.

Here are some suggestions though:
Call the Darkness Light
A Spirit to Ride the Whirlwind
Bright Promise
The Dwelling-Place of Light

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) apparently abandoned