Imgur Book Club discussion

General Discussion > Group Reads

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James Haikin (new)

James Haikin | 20 comments Mod
Okay, do we want to set up a group reads thing where we all read the same book at the same time and discuss it as we go? If so, what book do we start with? My (selfish) suggestion is to read Ender's Game since it's something a lot of people have probably already read but is also something that people will read due to the upcoming movie.

message 2: by Silja (new)

Silja Group reads defenitely make the discussions more interesting than just people talking about random books they've read. Although I think those discussions can be nice too. Is 3 weeks too long/not long enough for one book? I don't know how these usually work.

message 3: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth (goofnaggle) | 2 comments I think a month would be an appropriate amount of time. It makes a good time frame and goal... but it really depends on the length of the book...

message 4: by Jacob (new)

Jacob (jawright) | 10 comments Count me in. A month sounds good.

message 5: by Aethia (last edited Dec 20, 2012 01:31PM) (new)

Aethia | 12 comments Mod
I would prefer this kind. Though if people wanted to discuss another book they are reading separately they are more than welcome.

Not sure how it works here, but maybe some sort of poll can be created with 5 books chosen as options, and it be voted on by the group as a whole. That way we maintain the imgur +1 mentality and keep it geared to group interest :)

Just my thoughts. Not even sure its possible really.

Edit: So I went and checked... and YES there is a poll available to use! It even allows for people to write in their own choices if they don't like any of the ones suggested.

If someone could give ideas for 2 more books, I will go ahead and create one. So far I have Enders Game and The Hobbit.

message 6: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 2 comments I'm in!

Suggestion: The Kite Runner/A Thousand Splendid Suns?

message 7: by James Haikin (last edited Dec 20, 2012 01:58PM) (new)

Yeah, write in Kite Runner, Cryptonomicon, and, uh...Earth Abides?

message 8: by Haley (new)

Haley (b0pp) | 7 comments On my other book club on here, we do a main book, and a secondary optional book, just in case someone has read the first book and wants something new to read. Then we do most of the discussion on the main book and a brief discussion of the second.

message 9: by Baker (new)

Baker Purdon | 5 comments I've heard a lot of great things about The Kite Runner!

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim Forbes | 1 comments There are a couple of old school what-if future fictions I'd like to float across for consideration:
-Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
-A Canticle for Leibowitz by William M. Miller, Jr.
I love the style of these and old sci-fi, so I'm gonna be biased to that genre, but I'd love to been in on this probably whatever the book is.

message 11: by Josh (new)

Josh Scott | 2 comments I'd say maybe the Hobbit, Ender's Game, or Sabriel... I've already read them, but I've read pretty much everything else that's been mentioned thus far, too... I think they're perfect for an average month's reading, and they're not too slow-paced.

message 12: by Aethia (new)

Aethia | 12 comments Mod
Running the poll, perhaps we should do "theme" choices? Like February, since it is Valentines, we pick a romance story? And then March something else, perhaps Sci-fi. Then western. Then something else. Just so we get some variety. Otherwise, we might end up choosing nothing but Fantasy, since it's so awesome!

message 13: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Snowden | 3 comments I'm all for Enders Game.

message 14: by Silja (new)

Silja Aethia wrote: "Running the poll, perhaps we should do "theme" choices? Like February, since it is Valentines, we pick a romance story? And then March something else, perhaps Sci-fi. Then western. Then somethi..."

I like this idea. Should there be a different poll for the themes first?

message 15: by James Haikin (new)

If you have a preference, make sure you vote on the poll in the polls section.

message 16: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Snowden | 3 comments I'm not really keen on the theme thing...but that's another time when there secondary book could come in handy. Don't want to read the theme book? Fine, here's another.

message 17: by Jeffrey (last edited Dec 23, 2012 11:57AM) (new)

Jeffrey (jguilmot) | 6 comments As much as I'd love doing these group reads, I have 30 something unread book on my shelf... (I tend to buy more than I can read). So unless you guys happen to choose one of those, I'm afraid I won't be joining these. I will lurk the thread however! Might pick up some Want-to-reads this way!

message 18: by Dylan (new)

Dylan M (thegreatannoyance) | 9 comments I'm okay with literally any book anyone wants to read, but I certainly like the Hobbit and Enders Game ideas for their respective movies. I do think we should switch up genras though. Not necessarily for themes, but for the sake of variety. Go Fantasy to Sci-Fi to nonfiction ect.

message 19: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (zeggy23) | 10 comments I'm nervous about the Ender's game movie....how much will it differ

message 20: by Tara (new)

Tara (taraleonard) | 3 comments I'm also OK with any book under the sun, really.

message 21: by Stephania (new)

Stephania | 2 comments Yeah a month is good, though I'm really bad at doing group reads for the same reason as Jeffery - I have so many unread books I tend to want to read those first. Ender's Game is a great book and if you haven't read it, definitely should - regardless of the movie. =)

Been wanting to read Kite Runner too.