Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Read Discussions > January 2013- HF Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Historical Tidbit:
01 Jan 1892- The first Ellis Island Immigration Station was officially opened. The first immigrant to pass through Ellis was a "rosy-cheeked Irish girl," Annie Moore, age 15, from County Cork. She came with her two younger brothers to join their parents in New York City. That first day, three large ships were waiting to land, and 700 immigrants passed through Ellis Island. In the first year, nearly 450,000 immigrants passed through the Island. Source

Theme:
January usually symbolizes a fresh start for many people. Please nominate historical fiction books that deal with immigration. Books nominated do not have to be US based.

Rules for Nominating:
*ONE nomination per member
*Do not nominate books the group already has read. To check for previous group reads check the group's bookshelf: http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...
*LINK the title and book you are nominating. Your nomination will not count if it is not linked.
Example: Scent of Triumph by Jan Moran
*There is no need to second or third a nomination

The nomination thread will run until December 24th. I will then put up the poll which will run until Dec. 28th.

Thank you!

message 2: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3687 comments Mod
One thing Jackie didn't mention is that beginning in January, we are going to be starting our group reads on the 1st of the month rather than mid-month.

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack Durish (jackdurish) | 20 comments Jackie wrote: "Historical Tidbit:
01 Jan 1892- The first Ellis Island Immigration Station was officially opened. The first immigrant to pass through Ellis was a "rosy-cheeked Irish girl," Annie Moore, age 15, fro..."

The Historical Tidbit is really "tasty". How interesting. So many of our grandparents passed through Ellis Island. Mine did and I'd like to know more about it.

message 5: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jack, I've been to Ellis Island several times on school trips. It's a really interesting place. I recommend doing the audio tour.

message 6: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Jackie wrote: "Jack, I've been to Ellis Island several times on school trips. It's a really interesting place. I recommend doing the audio tour."

I agree... I went a couple years ago and did the audio tour and it's fascinating. So much history there, even though it had a (relatively) short life - only 62 years.

message 8: by Jack (new)

Jack Durish (jackdurish) | 20 comments Jackie wrote: "Jack, I've been to Ellis Island several times on school trips. It's a really interesting place. I recommend doing the audio tour."

A little too far for me to take the "audio tour" but they have many good resources available on line

message 9: by NayNay (new)

NayNay The Last Kingdom (Saxon Chronicles)
by Bernard Cornwell

message 11: by Kiersten (last edited Dec 20, 2012 01:19PM) (new)

message 12: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Dec 20, 2012 12:49PM) (new)

Jeri wrote: "Blood Lance: A Medieval Noirby Jeri Westerson"

From reading the book description I don't see how this book deals with the theme of immigration. Can you please enlighten me?

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Magid | 4 comments Sown in Tears

message 14: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Kiersten, you are missing the link to the author.

Beverly please link both the book and author for your nomination to count.

I know these rules sound nitpicky, but it really helps us mods out when creating the poll.

message 15: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Jeri wrote: "Blood Lance: A Medieval Noirby Jeri Westerson"

Jeri, this is #5 in a series. We would need to have read the previous books first for this book to be eligible.

Also, please review our group rules as this appears to be your own book.

message 16: by David (new)

David Kirk The Last Fernandez by Sara Perez Gluschankoff.The Last Fernandez Sandra Perez Gluschankoff

message 18: by LemonLinda (last edited Dec 20, 2012 01:02PM) (new)

message 19: by Laurie (last edited Dec 20, 2012 01:35PM) (new)

message 20: by Jalilah (last edited Dec 20, 2012 01:51PM) (new)

Jalilah I would like to nominate Queen of America: A Novel by Luis Alberto Urrea. This novel based on the life of Teresita Urrea , known in Mexico as the "Saint of Cabora" and focuses on her life after she fled Mexico and immigrated to the United States. It is a continuation of The Hummingbird's Daughter however it is a story of its own.

message 21: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I nominate Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín by Colm Tóibín

message 22: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten (cestlaviekrc) | 6 comments I linked the author. Sorry about that. :)

message 23: by Christina (new)

Christina (christinahh) | 256 comments Jackie wrote: *LINK the title and book you are nominating. Your nomination will not count if it is not linked.

Point of Clarification/Question, Do you want links to the title and author or the title and cover of book?

message 24: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Dec 20, 2012 01:44PM) (new)

Christina wrote: "Point of Clarification/Question, Do you want links to the title and author or the title and cover of book?"

I meant the title only, like in my example. If you would like to link the cover then that's okay, but please link the title as well.

message 25: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 298 comments NayNay wrote: "The Last Kingdom (Saxon Chronicles)
by Bernard Cornwell"

That's out of left field but certainly about immigration and on my to-read list. I'll save my vote for it.

message 26: by Rusty (new)

Rusty | 2738 comments I'm with Christina: The Master Butchers Singing Club by Louise Erdrich.

message 27: by Jan (last edited Dec 20, 2012 03:09PM) (new)

Jan Moran (janmoran) | 18 comments Thanks for using my book, Scent of Triumph, as your example above! What a sweet surprise! It does cover immigration from France to America during WWII. Thank you! Scent of Triumph by Jan Moran
Jan Moran

message 28: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyhamer) | 64 comments I would like to propose that we nominate books three months ahead of time, so that those of us who live outside the U.S. have time to get our books from, say, Amazon, which can take over a month to arrive. Thanks so much,

Nancy

message 29: by Bryn (last edited Dec 20, 2012 03:13PM) (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 298 comments It's true, for me in Australia, I wouldn't get the book for Jan 1st. I buy from UK or US almost always, and have an arrival time of 2-3 weeks for comfort.

message 31: by Holly (last edited Dec 20, 2012 04:07PM) (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 306 comments Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín, as nominated by Ellie.

I agree that if we nominate books more than one month in advance, it gives all a chance to get a copy (perhaps even from a queue at the library).

message 32: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 59 comments Bryn wrote: "It's true, for me in Australia, I wouldn't get the book for Jan 1st. I buy from UK or US almost always, and have an arrival time of 2-3 weeks for comfort."

Ditto for New Zealand but lately books ordered from Amazon have been more like 4-6 weeks delivery, and from Book Depository it has been at least that long.

message 33: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8028 comments I suggest Green City in the Sun by Barbara Wood. This book is about Kenya

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2967 comments I loved the Joy Luck Club :)

message 36: by Pat (last edited Dec 21, 2012 06:53AM) (new)

Pat | 13 comments The beginning book of a dynastic saga over 3 succeeding volumes...but stands very well on it's own. And a interesting locale...California and the Pacific Rim.

The Immigrants by Howard Fast

message 38: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 298 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "Ditto for New Zealand but lately books ordered from Amazon have been more like 4-6 weeks delivery, and from Book Depository it has been at least that long."

So that's where my packages are? Smile.

message 39: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Dec 20, 2012 06:11PM) (new)

To the international folks, we hear you :)
We realize that we're giving members very little time to acquire group reads and participation has been lacking as a result. Right now I'm trying to get us over the hump of nominating books for January. After this I will be posting threads for February and March. 2013 is sort of a fresh start for the group as well :)

If there are any theme suggestions you would like to see please post them here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 40: by Sarah (last edited Dec 20, 2012 06:36PM) (new)

message 41: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristinekae) | 262 comments Here is one I read many years ago. Evergreen

message 44: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments Murphy's Lawby Rhys Bowen. This is a historical mystery which largely takes place on Ellis Island. The protagonist has emigrated to the U.S. from Ireland.

message 45: by Tai (new)

Tai (poetress) | 7 comments I wish I knew some books to nominate. But I'm a newby to this genre. I did read an Ann Rinaldi book once called the 5th of March. That was good to me.

message 46: by Victoria_Grossack (last edited Dec 21, 2012 02:04AM) (new)

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | -18 comments What a brilliant theme!

How about A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute? It is an oldie but a goodie.

message 47: by Lucinda (last edited Dec 21, 2012 02:48AM) (new)

Lucinda | 20 comments Letters From Home by Kristina McMorris One I've had on my shelf for ages.

message 48: by J.T. (new)

J.T. Kalnay I nominate The Hundred Years Farce by Scott Skipper.

The Hundred Years Farce
Scott Skipper

message 49: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Ellie wrote: "I nominate Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín by Colm Tóibín"

Loved this short book. It really grasped the immigrant experience so well.

message 50: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Kristine wrote: "Here is one I read many years ago. Evergreen"

A real favorite. The author Belva Plain lived in NJ and only began writing later in her life. Her daughter Nancy also writes children's books.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.