Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK READING CHALLENGES > Challenge # 12: January 1, 2013 to March 31, 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 196 (196 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Challenge # 12: January 1, 2013 to March 31, 2013

All formats are accepted (print, ebooks, audiobooks). Rereads are fine as long as you actually reread the entire book and not just skim it.

Feel free to change your list at any time as needed.

Please note that the Optional Book categories are just that. Optional. You may choose to do none of them or all of them depending on how big of a challenge you want.

Basic Categories
1. Any Urban Fantasy Title:
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with an animal on the cover:
3. An Urban Fantasy Title with a weapon on the cover:
4. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) :

Optional Categories: ~ any genre
5. Cover Hunt: In honor of Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day read a book with any of the following: a predominantly red cover, a predominantly green cover, a heart on the cover, candy or chocolate on the cover, shamrocks or leprechauns on the cover.
6. January 13 is International Skeptics Day: Read a book in which a character becomes aware of the supernatural world they never knew existed (For example, your average human suddenly discovers that vampires exist)
7. February 3 is The Day the Music Died: Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper died in a plane crash on this date in 1959. Read a book in which a character is a musician (professional or just plays an instrument or sings for fun) or a character dies.
8. March 29 is Smoke and Mirrors Day: Read a book featuring a ‘magician’. Any magic user will do: witch, wizard, warlock, etc. Even a stage magician.
9. In With the New: Read any book by a new-to-you author or start a new-to-you series.

You may join the challenge up to the final day of March. If you get a late start it’s fine to back date with any books you started on January 1 or later.

When you've completed a book for the challenge, please come back to this thread and post a NEW comment with something like this:

Christine 1/8 completed
along with your updated list.

Questions? Anything I’ve forgotten? Just ask.

message 2: by Christine (last edited Jan 02, 2013 09:44AM) (new)

Christine | 752 comments Participant List:

Adam…………………………………………………...0/9
Alice…………………………………………………….0/9
Amyiw……………………………………………...….0/9
Ashley Marie………………………………………..1/9
Brandy……………………………………………...….0/9
Chakara…………………………………………….....0/9
Christina (AKA Babbling)……………………...0/9
Dawn.…………………………………………………..0/9
Elidanora……………………………………………..0/9
Jenika…………………………………………………..0/9
Jennifer………………………………………………..0/9
Jenny…………………………………………..……….0/9
Jessica..………………………………………………..0/9
Lady Danielle “The Book Huntress”…….…0/9
ladymurmur…………………………………………0/9
Laura..…………………………………………………..0/9
Melissa…………………………………………………0/9
Nakeesha……………………………………………..0/9
Natalie…………………………………………………0/9
Pennynickel………………………………………….9/9
Shanon…………………………………………………0/9
Susan………………………………………...………...0/9

message 3: by Ashley Marie (last edited Feb 08, 2013 08:16AM) (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments Done!

Completed 9/9

1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Thicker Than Water (1/17)
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with an animal on the cover: Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain (2/8)
3. An Urban Fantasy Title with a weapon on the cover: Monster Hunter Vendetta (1/10)
4. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF): The Crown of Embers (1/20)
5. Cover Hunt: Katya's World (1/17)
6. January 13 is International Skeptics Day: The Alchemyst (1/23)
7. February 3 is The Day the Music Died: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (1/6)
8. March 29 is Smoke and Mirrors Day: Last Unicorn: The Deluxe Edition (1/3)
9. In With the New: Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir (1/1)

Read:
Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4) by Mike Carey Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain by A. Lee Martinez Monster Hunter Vendetta (MHI, #2) by Larry Correia The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2) by Rae Carson Katya's World (Russalka Chronicles, #1) by Jonathan L. Howard The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) by Michael Scott The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot Let's Pretend This Never Happened A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson Last Unicorn The Deluxe Edition by Peter S. Beagle

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 41 comments I'm in! :D

message 5: by Jean ~ Kindle Queen (last edited Jan 30, 2013 02:29PM) (new)

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 208 comments Ooh! This is a good one! Great job, Christine!

January 1, 2013 to March 31, 2013
Completed 9/9 Finished!!

1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: The Kingdom by Amanda Stevens Done 1/11/2013
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with an animal on the cover: Blood Drive by Jeanne C. Stein Done 1/28/2013
3. An Urban Fantasy Title with a weapon on the cover: The Becoming by Jeanne C. Stein Done 1/2/2013
4. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF): Daughter of the Flames by Zoe Marriott Done 1/8/2013
5. Cover Hunt: In honor of Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day read a book with any of the following: a predominantly red cover, a predominantly green cover, a heart on the cover, candy or chocolate on the cover, shamrocks or leprechauns on the cover. Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan Done 1/7/2013
6. January 13 is International Skeptics Day: Read a book in which a character becomes aware of the supernatural world they never knew existed (For example, your average human suddenly discovers that vampires exist)Destiny by Alex Archer Done 1/13/2013
7. February 3 is The Day the Music Died: Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper died in a plane crash on this date in 1959. Read a book in which a character is a musician (professional or just plays an instrument or sings for fun) or a character dies. Magic Without Mercy by Devon Monk Done 1/20/2013
8. March 29 is Smoke and Mirrors Day: Read a book featuring a ‘magician’. Any magic user will do: witch, wizard, warlock, etc. Even a stage magician. Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep Done 1/5/2013
9. In With the New: Read any book by a new-to-you author or start a new-to-you series. The Other Side of Gold by Alexander Jacobs Done 1/1/2013
The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen #2) by Amanda Stevens Blood Drive (Anna Strong Chronicles, #2) by Jeanne C. Stein The Becoming (Anna Strong Chronicles, #1) by Jeanne C. Stein Daughter of the Flames (Ruan, #1) by Zoë Marriott Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan Destiny (Rogue Angel, #1) by Alex Archer Magic Without Mercy (Allie Beckstrom, #8) by Devon Monk Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4) by Jennifer Estep The Other Side of Gold by Alexander Jacobs

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (lovesrotties) | 4 comments I'm in. Those optionals sound like fun!

message 7: by Jenika (new)

Jenika | 22 comments I'm in! Great categories Christine - looking forward to this!

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments I am in not sure which optional categories I will do yet.

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam (gilgemesh) | 28 comments I'm in. I've been looking forward to a new challenge since finishing the last one. Now to pick some books. Great themes this time.

message 10: by Nakeesha (last edited Mar 29, 2013 01:38PM) (new)

Nakeesha (ninkey) 9/9 Completed

DONE 1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Lover At Last: Black Dagger Brotherhood #11
DONE 2. An Urban Fantasy Title with an animal on the cover: First Rule of Ten
DONE 3. An Urban Fantasy Title with a weapon on the cover: Night Hawk
DONE 4. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title: The Love of My (Other) Life
DONE 5. Cover Hunt: A Most Scandalous Proposal
DONE 6. International Skeptics Day: Quintana of Charyn
DONE 7. The Day the Music Died: The Sea of Tranquility
DONE 8. Smoke and Mirrors Day: Steam and Sorcery: The Gaslight Chronicles
DONE 9. In With the New: Gameboard of the Gods #1

Done
Steam & Sorcery (Gaslight Chronicles, #1) by Cindy Spencer Pape The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay A Most Scandalous Proposal by Ashlyn Macnamara The Love of My (Other) Life by Traci L. Slatton Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) by Melina Marchetta The First Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #1) by Gay Hendricks Night Hawk by Beverly Jenkins Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1) by Richelle Mead Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11) by J.R. Ward

message 11: by Natalie (new)

Natalie A. I'm in...will post my books later. This is a good one, I need to think on this!

message 12: by Shanon (last edited Dec 26, 2012 06:12PM) (new)

Shanon (shazamy) Challenge #12 ~ 1 January 2013 to 31 March 2013
Completed 0/7

Urban Fantasy: Stormwalker
Urban Fantasy (animal cover): Witch Wolf
Urban Fantasy (weapon cover): Endgame
PNR: Exiled
Cover Hunt (green): Drums of Autumn
March 29 is Smoke and Mirrors Day: Firewalker
In With the New: Shadow Walker

Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1) by Allyson James Witch Wolf (Kassandra Lyall Preternatural Investigator, #1) by Winter Pennington Endgame (Sirantha Jax, #6) by Ann Aguirre Exiled (Brides of the Kindred, #7) by Evangeline Anderson Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) by Diana Gabaldon Firewalker (Stormwalker, #2) by Allyson James Shadow Walker (Stormwalker, #3) by Allyson James

message 13: by ladymurmur (last edited Dec 27, 2012 10:33AM) (new)

ladymurmur | 73 comments I'm in! Have to go through my to-read list to plan these, so I'll finish filling them in later.

Completed 0/9

4. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF):
5. Cover Hunt:
6. January 13 is International Skeptics Day:
7. February 3 is The Day the Music Died: 8. March 29 is Smoke and Mirrors Day:
9. In With the New: Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles #1), by Kevin Hearne

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura | 5 comments im in

Basic Categories

message 15: by Jenika (last edited Mar 28, 2013 11:40AM) (new)

Jenika | 22 comments 7/9

✓1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Rosemary and Rue (2/2)
2. Urban Fantasy Title - animal on cover: Moon Called (IN PROGRESS...)
✓3. Urban Fantasy - weapon on cover: First Grave on the Right (1/20)
4. Any Fantasy OR PNR: Beautiful Creatures
✓5. Cover Hunt: A Bad Spell for the Worst Witch (1/26)
✓6. International Skeptics Day: The Considine Curse (2/21)
✓7. The Day the Music Died: The Hunger Games (1/9)
✓8. Smoke and Mirrors Day: Fated (3/16)
✓9. In With the New: Soulless (2/14)

To Read:
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia

Read:
Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones A Bad Spell for the Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #3) by Jill Murphy The Considine Curse by Gareth P. Jones The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins Fated (Alex Verus, #1) by Benedict Jacka Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Our first yearly challenge:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 17: by Elidanora (last edited Mar 12, 2013 04:50AM) (new)

Elidanora | 41 comments Count me in!
9/9

1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Raven Cursed by Faith HunterFeb, 9
2. Urban Fantasy Title - animal on cover: Death's Daughter by Amber Benson Jan, 20
3. Urban Fantasy - weapon on cover: Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballantine Tee Morris March, 10
4. Any Fantasy OR PNR: Bite Me If You Can Argeneau 6 by Lynsay Sands Jan, 3

5. Cover Hunt: Hex Appeal by P.N. Elrod Jan, 26
6. International Skeptics Day:The Rogue Hunter by Lynsay Sands Feb, 3
7. The Day the Music Died: Under a Vampire Moon by Lynsay Sands Feb, 2
8. Smoke and Mirrors Day: My favorite Witchby Annette Blaire March, 9
9. In With the New: First Grave on the Rightby Darynda Jones Jan, 5

message 18: by Amyiw (last edited Feb 25, 2013 05:03PM) (new)

Amyiw | 86 comments I'm in
9/9 finished

Cool, I like these 3 month challenges!

Basic Categories
Archangel's Blade by Nalini Singh

Heart of Atlantis by Alyssa Day

Hexed by Kevin Hearne Hexed

Wanted Undead or Alive by Kerrelyn Sparks

5. Cover Hunt: In honor of Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day read a book with any of the following: a predominantly red cover, a predominantly green cover, a heart on the cover, candy or chocolate on the cover, shamrocks or leprechauns on the cover.
I'm using tricked because he is a Druid and Irish
Tricked by Kevin Hearne

6. January 13 is International Skeptics Day: Read a book in which a character becomes aware of the supernatural world they never knew existed (For example, your average human suddenly discovers that vampires exist)
Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

7. February 3 is The Day the Music Died: Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper died in a plane crash on this date in 1959. Read a book in which a character is a musician (professional or just plays an instrument or sings for fun) or a character dies.
Hammered by Kevin Hearne a couple of characters die.

8. March 29 is Smoke and Mirrors Day: Read a book featuring a ‘magician’. Any magic user will do: witch, wizard, warlock, etc. Even a stage magician.
Last Kiss Goodnight by Gena Showalter

9. In With the New: Read any book by a new-to-you author or start a new-to-you series.
Unspoken, Unwilling, Unwanted: Highland trilogy by Kerrigan Byrne

Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter, #4) by Nalini Singh Heart of Atlantis (Warriors of Poseidon, #8) by Alyssa Day Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne Wanted Undead or Alive (Love at Stake, #12) by Kerrelyn Sparks Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4) by Kevin Hearne Darkfever (Fever #1) by Karen Marie Moning Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3) by Kevin Hearne Last Kiss Goodnight (Otherworld Assassin, #1) by Gena Showalter Unleashed The Highland Historical Trilogy by Kerrigan Byrne

message 19: by Pennynickel (new)

Pennynickel | 11 comments Basic Categories
3. An Urban Fantasy Title with a weapon on the cover:Cold Days

9. In With the New: Read any book by a new-to-you author or start a new-to-you series

I only have 1 picked out for number 3.

I REALLY enjoyed this challenge in the fall, the only problem is I keep finding new things I want to read :)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 237 comments I'll be participating!

message 21: by Alice (last edited Jan 17, 2013 04:18PM) (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 87 comments I fell short on Challenge #11 so here I go again. I'll post later ♥

COVER HUNT: Notorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum, #19) by Janet Evanovich *** Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4) by Darynda Jones****

ANIMAL ON THE COVER: Opal Fire (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #1) by Barbra Annino ***

Any Urban Fantasy Title: Christmas Moon (Vampire for Hire, #4.5) by J.R. Rain ***

message 22: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 03, 2013 09:18AM) (new)

Jennifer (lovesrotties) | 4 comments "I'm in. Those optionals sound like fun! Here's my list of hopefuls: 4/9
Basic Categories
1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Storm Front by Jim Butcher COMPLETED
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with an animal on the cover: Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn COMPLETED
3. An Urban Fantasy Title with a weapon on the cover: Hounded by Kevin Hearne COMPLETED
4. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) : Lord of the Fading Lands y CL Wilson COMPLETED

5. Cover Hunt: Beauty and the Werewolf by Mercedes Lackey
6. January 13 is International Skeptics Day: Darkfever by Keren Moning
7. February 3 is The Day the Music Died: A Host of Furious Fancies by Mercedes Lackey
8. March 29 is Smoke and Mirrors Day: one of the Elemental Masters series by Mercedes Lackey, preferrably Home From the Sea if I can get my hands on it
9. In With the New: Black City by Elizabeth Richards COMPLETED

Storm FrontKitty Takes a HolidayHoundedLord of the Fading LandsBeauty and the WerewolfDarkfeverA Host of Furious FanciesHome From the SeaBlack City Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher

message 23: by Adam (new)

Adam (gilgemesh) | 28 comments OK. I think I have my list.

0/8

Basic Categories
1. Spider's Bite
2. Magic Burns
3. Skinwalker
4. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn

5. Cover Hunt: Battle Royale
6. Nakeesha pick this so I'm going with her...Seraphina
7. Touch of Frost
8. Magician: Apprentice
9. Neuromancer

message 24: by Natalie (last edited Jan 25, 2013 09:36AM) (new)

Natalie A. 5/9 Completed

1. Any UF Title: Angels’ Flight by Nalini Singh - COMPLETED 1/9

2. UF Title (Animal on Cover): Shadow Rising by Yasmine Galenorn - COMPLETED 1/14

3. F Title (Weapon on Cover): The Curse by Sherrilyn Kenyon - COMPLETED 1/18

4. Any Fantasy or PR Title: Kiss of Pride by Sandra Hill - COMPLETED 1/22

5. Cover Hunt (Green Cover): Infamous: The Chronicles of Nick - COMPLETED 1/23

6. International Skeptics: Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning - IN PROGRESS

7. The Day the Music Died: Queen of Shadows by Dianne Sylvan

8. Smoke & Mirrors Day: Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

9. In With the New: Blood Rights by Kristen Painter

Angels' Flight (Angels' Pawn #0.5, Angels' Judgment #1.5, Angel's Wolf #4.5, Angels' Dance #4.75) by Nalini Singh Shadow Rising (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon #12) by Yasmine Galenorn The Curse (Belador #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Kiss of Pride (Deadly Angels, #1) by Sandra Hill Infamous (Chronicles of Nick, #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1) by Dianne Sylvan Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Blood Rights (House of Comarré, #1) by Kristen Painter

message 25: by Nakeesha (new)

Nakeesha (ninkey) Adam wrote: "OK. I think I have my list.
6. Nakeesha pick this so I'm going with her....."

Adam I heard great things about Seraphina! Let me know what you think once you've read it.

message 26: by Jenny (last edited Feb 13, 2013 03:38PM) (new)

Jenny | 20 comments I'm in!

Challenge # 12: January 1, 2013 to March 31, 2013
7 / 9
Basic Categories
✓ 2. An Urban Fantasy Title with an animal on the cover: Magic Strikes 1/2/2013
✓ 3. An Urban Fantasy Title with a weapon on the cover: Magic Bleeds 1/31/13
✓ 4. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) : Once Burned 02/12/13
✓ 5. Cover Hunt: Full Moon Rising 1/11/13
✓ 7. February 3 is The Day the Music Died: Love Unscripted 02/04/13 02/04/13
✓ 8. March 29 is Smoke and Mirrors Day: A Perfect Blood 1/19/13
✓ 9. In With the New: Release Me 1/29/13

Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) by Ilona Andrews Once Burned (Night Prince, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian, #1) by Keri Arthur Love Unscripted (Love, #1) by Tina Reber A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10) by Kim Harrison Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1) by J. Kenner

message 27: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 188 comments 0/4

Basic Categories

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan | 145 comments Count me in.

message 29: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 19 comments Reserved :)

message 30: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments Adam wrote: "OK. I think I have my list.

0/8

Basic Categories
1. Spider's Bite
2. Magic Burns
3. Skinwalker

5. Cover Hunt: Battle Royale
6. Nakeesha pick this so I'm going with her....."

I really liked Eon, but wasn't so enamored with the sequel (Eona). I'd be curious to know what you think if you end up reading both of them, Adam!

message 31: by frando (last edited Feb 11, 2013 12:40PM) (new)

frando (broadishreads) Sounds like fun.

1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: The Rook by Daniel O'Malley
3. An Urban Fantasy Title with a weapon on the cover: Skinwalker by Faith Hunter
4. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) : Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

5. Cover Hunt:
6. International Skeptics Day:
7. The Day the Music Died:
8. Smoke and Mirrors Day: Libriomancer by Jim Hines
9. In With the New: Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

Completed 1/9
Shadow of Night
Skinwalker
The Rook
Libriomancer
Sandman Slim

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm in!

0/9 completed

1)Any UF Title - Obsidian Butterfly
2)UF Title w/ animal on cover - Kitty Takes a Holiday
3)UF Title w/ weapon on cover - Doubletake
4)Any Fantasy/PNR - Green Rider

Optional:
5)Cover Hunt - Fire Study
6)International Skeptics Day - Blue Diablo
7)The Day the Music Died - Zombie, Ohio
8)Smoke and Mirrors Day - A Perfect Blood
9)In With the New - Angelfall

Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9) by Laurell K. Hamilton Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3) by Carrie Vaughn Doubletake (Cal Leandros, #7) by Rob Thurman Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon, #1) by Ann Aguirre Zombie, Ohio by Scott Kenemore A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10) by Kim Harrison Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee

message 33: by Darcy (last edited Jan 20, 2013 05:33PM) (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments I'm in, here is my list.

9 of 9 Completed

1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Shadows Before the Sun by Kelly Gay 1/2
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with an animal on the cover: A Kiss Before the Apocalypse by Thomas E. Sniegoski 1/13
3. An Urban Fantasy Title with a weapon on the cover: A Wolf at the Door by K.A. Stewart 1/1
4. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF): Dream Chaser by Sherrilyn Kenyon 1/4
5. Cover Hunt: Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor 1/8
6. January 13 is International Skeptics Day: Enchanted, Inc. by Shanna Swendson 1/3
7. February 3 is The Day the Music Died: With Everything I Am by Kristen Ashley 1/5
8. March 29 is Smoke and Mirrors Day: Blood Winter by Diana Pharaoh Francis 1/20
9. In With the New: Dark Star by Bethany Frenette 1/5

Shadows Before the Sun (Charlie Madigan #4) by Kelly Gay A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1) by Thomas E. Sniegoski A Wolf at the Door (Jesse James Dawson, #3) by K.A. Stewart Dream Chaser (Dream-Hunter, #3; Dark-Hunter #14) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor Enchanted, Inc. (Enchanted, Inc., #1) by Shanna Swendson With Everything I Am (The Three, #2) by Kristen Ashley Blood Winter (Horngate Witches, #4) by Diana Pharaoh Francis Dark Star (Dark Star, #1) by Bethany Frenette

message 34: by Astrid (new)

Astrid (dragonnoona) | 16 comments I have yet to decide if I will do any of the optional categories or not.

0/4

Any Urban Fantasy Title Burnt Offerings
An Urban Fantasy Title with an animal on the cover Demonglass
An Urban Fantasy Title with a weapon on the cover Dark Goddess
Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) Overbite

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Count me in as well! :D I'll make my selections later.

message 36: by Pennynickel (new)

Pennynickel | 11 comments 1/9
Basic Categories
1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Mercy Blade - I was kinda meh about the first two. REALLY enjoyed the third. Glad i kept going with the series.

message 37: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Pennynickel wrote: "1/9
Basic Categories
1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Mercy Blade - I was kinda meh about the first two. REALLY enjoyed the third. Glad i kept going with the series."

I've had the first three books of that series sitting on my shelf for ages. It's one of those series I was going to finally read in 2012. Maybe I'll actually get to it in 2013? And now I know they get better if the first on is only lukewarm for me. Thank you.

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa LOVED Angelfall...now I have to wait for the sequel...(aaaahhhhh!)

1/9 completed

2)UF Title w/ animal on cover - Kitty Takes a Holiday

Optional:
9)In With the New - Angelfall1/3

Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9) by Laurell K. Hamilton Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3) by Carrie Vaughn Doubletake (Cal Leandros, #7) by Rob Thurman Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon, #1) by Ann Aguirre Zombie, Ohio by Scott Kenemore A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10) by Kim Harrison Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee

message 39: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Melissa wrote: "LOVED Angelfall...now I have to wait for the sequel...(aaaahhhhh!)"

The rest of us who have read it feel your pain. I read it way back in April and am still waiting....

message 40: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments Christine wrote: "Melissa wrote: "LOVED Angelfall...now I have to wait for the sequel...(aaaahhhhh!)"

The rest of us who have read it feel your pain. I read it way back in April and am still waiting...."

Seconded : /

message 41: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments Updated post #3:

Completed 2/9

Read:
Let's Pretend This Never Happened A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson Last Unicorn The Deluxe Edition by Peter S. Beagle

Both were reaaallyyy good. Let's Pretend was hilarious, especially her description of her childhood. And, if you're into graphic novels, The Last Unicorn is pretty much the most beautiful one I've ever read...artwork is better than Sandman, imo.

message 42: by Rose (last edited Jan 03, 2013 08:19PM) (new)

Rose | 36 comments I'm in. 1/9 completed so far!

1. UF: And Blue Skies From Pain by Stina Leicht Finished Jan. 3!
2. UF & Animal: Fair Game by Patricia Briggs
3. UF & Weapon: Storm Front by Jim Butcher (that stick he’s holding is a weapon, right?)
4. Fantasy/PNR: A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

5. Red/Green/Hearts/Candy/Leprechauns/Etc. Cover: The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
6. Skeptics: Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor
7. Musician/Death: Blasphemy by Sherman Alexie (just a hunch)
8. Magicians: The Soul Mirror by Carol Berg
9. New Author: Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves

And Blue Skies From Pain (The Fey and the Fallen, #2) by Stina Leicht

message 43: by Adam (last edited Jan 04, 2013 09:06AM) (new)

Adam (gilgemesh) | 28 comments 2/8

Basic Categories
1. Spider's Bite
2. Magic Burns
3. Skinwalker

Optionals
5. Battle Royale
6. Seraphina
7. Touch of Frost
8. Magician: Apprentice
9. Neuromancer

Finished
Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona Andrews Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter

Two good books to start off the year. Not a bad start at all.

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Adam wrote: Two good books to start off the year. Not a bad start at all. "

Adam,
Kate Daniels is one of my favorite UF series. And I read Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga more than a few years ago. It was perhaps my first foray into fantasy and I just loved it.

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa @ Christine and Ashley Marie...I am always a little late to jump on the bandwagon :) I did see that the movie rights have been sold so my guess is it will blow up like Twilight and Hunger Games soon...

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I ended up really liking book 3 in the Kitty Norville series...it left me wondering why oh why do I buy good books and not read them ;)

2/9 completed

2)UF Title w/ animal on cover - Kitty Takes a Holiday1/4

Optional:
9)In With the New - Angelfall1/3

message 47: by Elidanora (new)

Elidanora | 41 comments Done 1/9
* Any Fantasy OR PNR: Bite Me If You Can by Lynsay Sands

message 48: by ☀Rachael☀ (last edited Jan 31, 2013 06:20AM) (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) Challenge # 12: January 1, 2013 to March 31, 2013

Basic Categories
1. Urban Fantasy: How Beauty saved the Beast --- Jax Garren
2. Urban Fantasy animal on the cover:
3. Urban Fantasy Title weapon on the cover:The Better part of darkness --- Kelly Gay
4. Paranormal Romance: Unearthly --- Cynthia Hand

5. St. Patrick’s Day: Stormwalker --- Allyson James
6. International Skeptics Day: Anna dressed in blood --- Kendare Blake
7. The Day the Music Died: Already dead --- Charlie Huston
8. Smoke and Mirrors Day: Kindling the moon --- Jenn Bennett
9. In With the New: Raised by wolves --- Jennifer Lynn Barnes

8/9
Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes Already Dead (Joe Pitt, #1) by Charlie Huston Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell, #1) by Jenn Bennett Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1) by Allyson James How Beauty Saved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #2) by Jax Garren The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1) by Kelly Gay

message 49: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments 4 of 9 Completed

message 50: by Yvette (new)

Yvette | 4 comments I'm in, this should be fun.

« previous 1 3 4