Imgur Book Club discussion

General Discussion > What book are you reading right now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Renée (new)

Renée | 4 comments the mortal instruments part 1.
nice story, but she can't really write though... it's a shame. going to be a film later next year!

message 2: by Neil (new)

Neil | 3 comments The Necronomicon, the Best Weird Tales of H.P. Lovecraft. Been slowly working my way through it for a couple of months, now.

message 3: by Jacob (new)

Jacob (jawright) | 10 comments Bitterblue - Kristen Cashore, Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese, An Irish Country Girl - Patrick Taylor, and Quiet by Susan Cain.

message 4: by James Haikin (new)

James Haikin | 20 comments Mod
I'm on a Redwall kick and am rereading a huge portion of the series. In the middle of The Long Patrol right now. Might take a break after this one and go for something else. Someone recommended One Salt Sea by Seanan MacGuire, but I have literally no idea what it is. Can someone clue me in?

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1 comments I just started Good Omens by Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett. I'm also perpetually in the midst of Origins by Neil De Grasse Tyson.

message 6: by Silja (last edited Dec 20, 2012 11:14AM) (new)

Silja Re-reading the Hobbit because of the movie, first time in English though. Also got Silmarillion in the shelf waiting for its turn. I think Tolkien is perfect for Christmas time.

message 7: by Baker (new)

Baker Purdon | 5 comments I'm beefing up on the classics for a Gothic Literature course in the spring, so I'm tag-teaming through Jane Eyre, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde, Stephen King's The Shining and a few others.

I'm curious (for those of you still in school) - am I the only one who never seems to have "fun read" time, even during breaks??

message 8: by Silja (new)

Silja Baker wrote: "I'm beefing up on the classics for a Gothic Literature course in the spring, so I'm tag-teaming through Jane Eyre, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde, Stephen King's The Shining and a few other..."

Haha, you just need to set your priorities right. I had one literature course about the classics and was supposed to read 20 books. I read like 2 or 3 of them and kept reading the "fun reads" like always. And I'm studing to become a librarian. :D I just think there are so many good books that you shouldn't waste your time on something you don't find interesting.

message 9: by Baker (new)

Baker Purdon | 5 comments Silja wrote: "Baker wrote: "I'm beefing up on the classics for a Gothic Literature course in the spring, so I'm tag-teaming through Jane Eyre, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde, Stephen King's The Shining a..."

Studying to become a librarian?! That's awesome! I totally agree - until I get that unlucky professor who pop quizzes every novel. They can be brutal here :P

message 10: by Haley (new)

Haley (b0pp) | 7 comments Two books of short stories (by Charles DeLint and Nina Kiriki Hoffman respectively), just finished Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor and just about to start the new Dresden Files book Cold Days by Jim Butcher.

message 11: by Amanda (last edited Dec 20, 2012 12:04PM) (new)

Amanda I just started reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling decided to read through the series this year..yes I know i'm way behind the times lol

message 12: by Baker (new)

Baker Purdon | 5 comments Amanda wrote: "I just started reading [book:Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows|136251 decided to read through the series this year..yes I know i'm way behind the times lol"

I didn't start reading until the fifth movie was about to come out. I always thought it was just a bunch of hype over magic and cool "children's books." Then you get into it and realize how insanely glorious those books are!

message 13: by Beatriz (new)

Beatriz | 2 comments I'm reading The Scorch Trials the sequel from the Maze Runner.

message 14: by Silja (new)

Silja I'm one of those who grew up with HP and was kinda hoping for a letter on my 11th birthday...

message 15: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne (rsego711) | 2 comments I think I'm going to make my second attempt at "House of Leaves." My first try at reading this book was when I was still in school, but now I have more time to dedicate to it. I hear it's great and I really want to read it!

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I thought the exact same thing but I'm really glad I decided to read them because they are amazing books, I'm almost dreading reading this one because I know it's the last book and I'm not ready for the end, I want the books to keep going.

message 17: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth (goofnaggle) | 2 comments I'm getting back to my root: Shanghai Girls, Chinese Cinderella, The Kitchen God's Wife, and The Joy Luck Club

message 18: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 2 comments I'm rereading Broken Harbor by Tana French. If anyone likes *truly* well-written, thought provoking, and fascinating murder mysteries, go find Tana French!!! She's seriously amazing. I just happened to pick up one of her books at Boarders (RIP) one day, and it was the best thing I ever did.

message 19: by James Haikin (new)

Oh man, Joy Luck Club was amazing.

message 20: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 2 comments I'm reading Brave New World over my winter break, and I've heard it's really good. It's basically showing us where humanity is headed and trying to tell us not to go there. So far I really like it, but it is pretty weird.

message 21: by Feemi (new)

Feemi | 1 comments I just finished Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire(the final book in the Wicked Years series). It was an appropriate end to a series that has been a part of my life for quite some time. I'm in that "end of saga" mourning now, and looking forward to getting some new books based on the group's recommendations!

message 22: by James Haikin (new)

Brave New World is actually scarier than 1984 for me. I'd recommend Brave New World Revisited too.

message 23: by Jess (last edited Dec 20, 2012 03:08PM) (new)

Jess Aldrich (milaya_moya) | 1 comments Renée wrote: "the mortal instruments part 1.
nice story, but she can't really write though... it's a shame. going to be a film later next year!"

I just finished the series through the most recent book. The writing isn't great but the stories get more interesting. I hope the movie does it justice.

I'm currently reading Divergent by Veronica Roth.

message 24: by Sasha (new)

Sasha Radyuk | 1 comments I'm trying to get through Night Watch by Terry Pratchett. I wanted to try out a Discworld book and it was recommended to me by two separate people... Still on page 90, still not getting into it!!! Can't understand why, I thought I would love it.

message 25: by Thedamey (new)

Thedamey | 1 comments I'm reading fountain head but I'm a slow reader. (still on the first chapter!)

message 26: by Mark (last edited Dec 20, 2012 05:41PM) (new)

Mark Ching | 2 comments Just finished Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera, hour ago. Will buy a new book later.

message 27: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie Engler | 2 comments Baker wrote: "I'm beefing up on the classics for a Gothic Literature course in the spring, so I'm tag-teaming through Jane Eyre, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde, Stephen King's The Shining and a few other..."

You have to steal time. I read while waiting for the bus, while waiting for Youtube to load, while I'm brushing my teeth . . . there's lots of time in the day, if you look for it.

message 28: by Mark (new)

Mark Ching | 2 comments Feemi wrote: "I just finished Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire(the final book in the Wicked Years series). It was an appropriate end to a series that has been a part of my life for quite some time. I'm in that "end ..."

I hated Out of Oz. I felt like the main characters did nothing but walk around, and that they were under-utilized in the climax. It felt like a cop out to an amazing series. First three books were great.

message 29: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie Engler | 2 comments Silja wrote: "I'm one of those who grew up with HP and was kinda hoping for a letter on my 11th birthday..."

I'm still waiting. That acceptance from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Masters Program is going to come ANY day now . . .

message 30: by Connor (new)

Connor Hollrah | 5 comments Baker wrote: "I'm beefing up on the classics for a Gothic Literature course in the spring, so I'm tag-teaming through Jane Eyre, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde, Stephen King's The Shining and a few other..."

I rarely have time to read in college. I've been reading the same book for about 6 months. However, it was kind of slow. I was always sidetracked with other books. I've read 3 chapters of The Hobbit very easily. Plan to read the first 6 chapters to cover the movie, then finish the book.

message 31: by Nathan01 (new)

Nathan01 | 1 comments Reading 2 books right now, The Dame by R.A. Salvatore and a book I found recently called the Platypus of Doom and other nihilists by Arthur Byron Cover.

message 32: by Selina (new)

Selina Cerna | 1 comments Just started Night Circus. It's amazing so far!

message 33: by Justine (new)

Justine O'Sheades (juzky) | 7 comments I'm reading The Marriage Plot. All the characters have major flaws but I'm so interested still..

message 34: by Missmobott (new)

Missmobott | 3 comments I'm smack dab in the middle of A Storm of Swords...and I just can't wait for season 3 to start it's killing me.

message 35: by Missmobott (new)

Missmobott | 3 comments James wrote: "Brave New World is actually scarier than 1984 for me. I'd recommend Brave New World Revisited too."

I agree completely...it's such an accurate prediction of where humanity is heading. Both are really good though...anything dystopian is good, really.

message 36: by Baker (new)

Baker Purdon | 5 comments Connor wrote: "Baker wrote: "I'm beefing up on the classics for a Gothic Literature course in the spring, so I'm tag-teaming through Jane Eyre, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde, Stephen King's The Shining a..."

I'm probably going to be hated for this one, but I've yet to see any of the LOTR movies....and I've yet to read any Tolkein. I should probably get on that.....

message 37: by Renée (new)

Renée | 4 comments Beatriz wrote: "I'm reading The Scorch Trials the sequel from the Maze Runner."

oow I read those! I thought they were pretty good!
I heard somewhere it's going to be a film...

message 38: by Renée (new)

Renée | 4 comments Baker wrote: "I'm beefing up on the classics for a Gothic Literature course in the spring, so I'm tag-teaming through Jane Eyre, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde, Stephen King's The Shining and a few other..."

hey! I study English literature (and language) and I have to read a lot for uni... but I do find some time to read for fun!! but most books a read for uni are fun, so that's a thing
;) good luck!

message 39: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (zeggy23) | 10 comments Just finished The Casual Vacancy by J.K Rowling....it's was good. I feel like she really tried to over state it's an adult book though...

Thrilled to see how many Imgurians are currently reading books that I love!

message 40: by Rowan (new)

Rowan Stuart | 2 comments Snow day. I'm getting ready to start The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov.

message 41: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jguilmot) | 6 comments Baker wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I just started reading [book:Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows|136251 decided to read through the series this year..yes I know i'm way behind the times lol"

I didn't start readin..."

Same here! I only got started reading the books after the third movie. Decided I couldn't wait until the next movie came out so went to the books instead. Instantly wished I started at book number 1, what a magical journey, quite literally.

message 42: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jguilmot) | 6 comments I am currently reading (the English translation of) Kafka's The Castle. Having read The Trial before, I knew it was going to be weird-ish, but I like it!

message 43: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Snowden | 3 comments I haven't read a brave new world but I have heard the synopsis! Scary story...I'm currently halfway through Mockingjay. Quick query; Gale or Peeta?

message 44: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (zeggy23) | 10 comments You must read Brave New World!!! And 1984

message 45: by Haley (new)

Haley (b0pp) | 7 comments Ethan wrote: "I haven't read a brave new world but I have heard the synopsis! Scary story...I'm currently halfway through Mockingjay. Quick query; Gale or Peeta?"

I enjoyed BNW much more than 1984. Both of which I've read for the first time in the past year, I somehow managed not to read them in school.

Also, I recently finished the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld on audiobook, it was fanatastic and Alan Cummings did a great job of narrating. Those of you that have trouble finding time to read, I suggest audiobooks. Multi-task! And Jim Dale does a truly magnificent job of narrating the Harry Potter books, I've listened to them several times through.

message 46: by Dylan (new)

Dylan M (thegreatannoyance) | 9 comments Hiya all. First post but here we go. I'm reading Atlas Shrugged, because my father likes her a lot and I'm never one to turn something down without trying it first.

message 47: by Haley (new)

Haley (b0pp) | 7 comments I haven't read Atlas Shrugged, but I read Anthem by Ayn Rand and enjoyed it.

message 48: by Silja (new)

Silja Ha, first time I heard about Atlas Shrugged was in the Chickenlover episode of South Park! They made it sound so bad that I haven't read it. I should propably give it a try though...

message 49: by Dylan (new)

Dylan M (thegreatannoyance) | 9 comments Haley wrote: "I haven't read Atlas Shrugged, but I read Anthem by Ayn Rand and enjoyed it."

Her books get longer and longer as she goes on. I think she struck the best balance in Fountainhead of all her books. Ill keep yall posted on Shrugged If you're curious.

message 50: by Tara (new)

Tara (taraleonard) | 3 comments I'm reading "Geisha: A Life" by Minako Iwasaki. It combines two of my favorite things: Asian culture and a good autobiography.

I've been meaning to try "Atlas Shrugged," but other books keep getting in the way. :D

« previous 1