Into the Forest discussion

From the Forest: A Search for the Hidden Roots of our Fairytales
This topic is about From the Forest
Books, Books, Books > From the Forest - NF book on history of Fairy Tales

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 39 comments This is not a promotion - I have no connection with this author, and have not yet read this book, so, am not specifically recommending it - but, please feel free to move this topic to the promotions folder if you feel it more appropriately belongs there.

I noticed this title this morning when opening up the home page for my local library and seeing it in their scrolling display of covers of their most recently acquired books (Goodreads says it was published 10/30/2012). The title naturally made me think of our Goodreads group. Then I looked up the book in Goodreads and even more thought of our group. From the Goodreads description for the book:
With each chapter focusing on a different story and a different forest visit, Maitland offers a complex history of forests and how they shape the themes of fairy tales we know best. She offers a unique analysis of famous stories including Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretal, Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood, Rumplestiltskin, and Sleeping Beauty. Maitland uses fairy tales to explore how nature itself informs our imagination, and she guides the reader on a series of walks through northern Europe’s best forests to explore both the ecological history of forests and the roots of fairy tales. In addition to the twelve modern re-tellings of these traditional fairy tales, she includes beautiful landscape photographs taken by her son as he joined her on these long walks.

Sara Maitland is an established British writer.

Anyway, I was excited upon seeing that a book like this exists - and I thought others in this group might be interested in checking it out is well.

message 2: by Christine (last edited Dec 21, 2012 05:34AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
Moved to this new folder. For those intersted in the above book, which looks really good, the cover is different in terms of US and Uk.

message 3: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele | 520 comments Looks like the titles are slightly different too -- Gossip from the Forest: The Tangled Roots of Our Forests and Fairytales vs From the Forest: A Search for the Hidden Roots of our Fairytales. Either way, looks great -- thanks for pointing it out!