Bookworm Buddies discussion

Bookworm Chatter > What are your favorite Series?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 14025 comments Mod
Hey guys there are a lot of series out there. What have been your favorites?

message 2: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Dec 20, 2012 06:29AM) (new)

I have to say I enjoyed Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice series by CHristopher Pike, Magyk (Septimus Heap Series), by Angie Sage, have not finished them yet so need to start over lol. And also Prodigal Son, (Frankenstein Series) by Dean Koontz, have to start this one over too since there were like 3 more added to the series. I am sure there will be more added, like The Dark Tower series once I complete that one. Also wanna complete purchases and read the Odd thomas series by koontz.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 20, 2012 06:43AM) (new)

My very favorite is The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. Long books with a fantastic world that you can really get into, so many outstanding characters and plot twists. Lord of the Rings, of course. I first read the series when I was 12 years old and it's remained a favorite. And then I'd add the Dark Tower series--it has everything!

message 4: by ZaraS (last edited Dec 20, 2012 06:52AM) (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments The Dark Tower and The Fever Series are my favourites. I've only read A Game of Thrones so far from the ASOIAF series, but I'm really looking forward to reading the rest. I loved books 1-9 of the Sookie Stackhouse series, but the last few have been kind of meh. I think she's run out of ideas, and really needs to kill the series.

message 6: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 176 comments Artemis Fowl, Odd Thomas, etc. I used to really be into the Star Wars New Jedi Order series, too.

message 7: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Dec 20, 2012 07:32AM) (new)

Courtney wrote: "I loved books 1-9 of the Sookie Stackhouse series, but the last few have been kind of meh. I think she's run out of ideas, and really needs to kill the series."

I know Courtney right? I hate when Authors just keep it running and running. It is so obvious when the Authors really dont know what to write so they just start throwing crap in there. I mean I think the series really pay for that. Readers often tend to walk away from it feeling rather bored.

Authors really need to learn when to stop a series. I think sometimes they may get big headed because so many people rave about a series, so they think they need to keep adding to it. In the long run they pretty much ruin their own series.

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 460 comments Well, Terri has mine.

message 9: by Drew (new)

Drew | 89 comments The Dark Tower
The Wheel of Time
Harry Potter
The Vampire Chronicles

message 10: by Lee (last edited Dec 20, 2012 10:36AM) (new)

Lee (leeshirk) | 556 comments That is a hard one.. I would have to say (I have more than one)

The Dark Tower
Harry Potter
The Hunger Games
Odd Thomas
Chronicles of Narnia
The Trylle Trilogy
Dexter - forgot about that one
Blood Lines Series by Maria Lima

Also I agree Sookie Stackhouse would be on my list, but it has gotten to be too much.

message 11: by Rachel the Book Harlot (last edited Dec 20, 2012 10:34AM) (new)

Rachel the Book Harlot Courtney wrote: "I loved books 1-9 of the Sookie Stackhouse series, but the last few have been kind of meh. I think she's run out of ideas, and really needs to kill the series."

The last one is scheduled to be released in May 2013. I think she wanted to end the series at #9 or #10 but was convinced to continue due to the show. I think it was mistake and agree with you that she should have ended it much sooner. Still, can't wait for the last book! :)

My favorite series are:

A Song of Ice and Fire by GRRM
Black Dagger Brotherhood (Books 1-8) by J.R. Ward
John Cleaver trilogy by Dan Wells
Night Huntress Series & Night Huntress World by Jeaniene Frost
Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris

message 12: by Dustin (last edited Dec 20, 2012 03:08PM) (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments First and foremost, The Dark Tower series! I also love Ted Dekker's epic Circle series and A Song of Ice and Fire, by GRRM. And then there's Tolkien's The Lord of The Rings.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel dustin i have Black on my tbr- it's not my genre but i'm hoping to try it this year as i really like dekker's thrillers.

my fave series used to be

the alex cross series by James Patterson although after reading 17 of them i'm taking a break-the early books were def much better

i've also read many of the eve duncan books by Iris Johansen but think i may be done with it. i loved both series for many years

i'm currently reading the fbi series (quincy & rainie) by Lisa Gardner and love the series and the author's writing style.

have many series on my tbr so looking forward to hearing everyone's suggestions.

message 14: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC That's a good question! If I had to pick one, I guess it would have to be the Vampire Chronicles.

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments My all-time favorite series is The Millennium Trilogy aka, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.

message 16: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Kathryn wrote: "My all-time favorite series is The Millennium Trilogy aka, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series."

I forgot about that one. It isn't my favorite but I liked it.

Now that I think about my favorite series is undoubtedly His Dark Materials

message 17: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

A lot of great series here guys! So glad everyone shared!

message 18: by Lee (new)

Lee (leeshirk) | 556 comments There are too many good ones. I completely left off two.

The Manny Williams Series by Rick Murcer and

The Karen Vail Series by Alan Jacobson.

message 19: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Rachel wrote: "dustin i have Black on my tbr- it's not my genre but i'm hoping to try it this year as i really like dekker's thrillers.

my fave series used to be

the alex cross series by James Patterson althou..."

Hi, Rachel!

I'm so happy to hear that Black is one your "to-read" list. I read the entire series earlier this year, and in all earnestness, I cannot recommend it nearly high enough. I cannot wait to hear your thouights on it.:)

message 20: by Rachel (last edited Dec 22, 2012 04:44PM) (new)

Rachel hi dustin!

i'm hoping to read it at some point in 2013- will definitely let you know what i think of it-glad to hear a fellow dekker fan highly recommends it :)

message 21: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I am still trying to get ahold of the circle series. Looks like I need to get them from Amazon.

message 22: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (crackedx_spine) Shifters by Rachel Vincent.

message 23: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 1784 comments I have several series of which I'm particularly fond, including John Sandford's Prey series featuring Lucas Davenport, David Weber's Honor Harrington series (and associated Honorverse series), John Ringo's Posleen series... this is just off the top of my head, but these are series that I continue to follow. I've had other series I used to love, but they started becoming lower quality, such as when Todd McCaffrey took over the Pern novels - when Anne McCaffrey was writing them, I never missed a book, but I'm not impressed with Todd, who has focused more on action and less on the character. Same with the Spenser series and the Stone Barrington series, which have both devolved into a Marty Stu girl-fest... *rolls eyes*

message 24: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

ok well the first is a give in, Stephen Kings Dark Tower series! LOL I like Penn cage series by Greg Iles, and now I am loving Dekker's Paradise series, it is amazing. Ellen Hopkins Cranks series. I am sure I can think of more later to post as well.

message 25: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Hey guys there are a lot of series out there. What have been your favorites?"

Oooh, that's a tough one. But I'll give it a go!

1. The Dark Tower series
2. A Song of Ice and Fire
3. the Circle series
4. The Lord of the Rings

message 26: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Rachel wrote: "hi dustin!

i'm hoping to read it at some point in 2013- will definitely let you know what i think of it-glad to hear a fellow dekker fan highly recommends it :)"

Rachel- I just now saw your post, I feel bad that I'm just now responding. Anyway, I hope you can read Dekker's Circle series soon.

message 27: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 1784 comments Oh, yes, love the Dark Tower and Lord of the Rings. It's so hard to keep all that in my head!!

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dustin wrote: "Rachel wrote: "hi dustin!

i'm hoping to read it at some point in 2013- will definitely let you know what i think of it-glad to hear a fellow dekker fan highly recommends it :)"

Rachel- I just now..."

No worries Dustin :) I hope to still read the circle series but doubt i'll get to it this year. I also hope to read showdown- so many books so little time lol

message 29: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments I'm enjoying the 20 vols of the Master & Commander set by Patrick O'Brian. Seafaring adventures during the Napoleonic Wars with lots of period and nautical flavor. Not everybody's cup of tea, but it's quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

message 30: by GeneralTHC (last edited Jul 29, 2013 12:16AM) (new)

GeneralTHC Squire wrote: "I'm enjoying the 20 vols of the Master & Commander set by Patrick O'Brian. Seafaring adventures during the Napoleonic Wars with lots of period and nautical flavor. Not everybody's cup of tea, but i..."

Kick ass Squire. I just got that series (ebooks) and I can't wait to start it!

How far into are you, BTW? I thought I'd like to listen to the audiobooks but I only have the first one, so far.

message 31: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Katy wrote: "Oh, yes, love the Dark Tower and Lord of the Rings. It's so hard to keep all that in my head!!"

I think if we took a vote THE DARK TOWER would win.

message 32: by Squire (last edited Jul 29, 2013 12:24AM) (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments Made it through the first three. The whole set is going to be my reading goal for next year. The first volume is important for those unfamiliar with ships, because the reader is given a tour of the ship and nautical terminolgy.

message 33: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Squire wrote: "Made it through the first three. The whole set is going to be my reading goal for next year. The first volume is important for those unfamiliar with ships, because the reader is given a tour of the..."

Cool. I've been getting into that kind of thing reading about the Terror and Erebus and Sir John Franklin's search for the North West Passage in 1845 the past few days. Very cool stuff, I think.

message 34: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Squire wrote: "I'm enjoying the 20 vols of the Master & Commander set by Patrick O'Brian. Seafaring adventures during the Napoleonic Wars with lots of period and nautical flavor. Not everybody's cup of tea, but i..."

Oh wow, I had no idea there are 20 volumes, Squire! I've heard good things about the author and this series. I'm glad you're enjoying them!

message 35: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Rachel wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Rachel wrote: "hi dustin!

Rac..."

Indeed, Rachel. Hopefully you can read them this year. If not, there's always next year! Do you have any of them yet? You'll love Showdown, I'm sure!

message 36: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Squire wrote: "Made it through the first three. The whole set is going to be my reading goal for next year. The first volume is important for those unfamiliar with ships, because the reader is given a tour of the..."

So is the nautical tour similar in any way to Moby-Dick?

message 37: by ☆ Michelle (new)

☆ Michelle Kobus  (michellekobus) | 519 comments - The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel
- The Lord of the Rings
- Harry Potter
- Wheel of Time
- Shadowmarch
- A Song of Ice and Fire
- Seven Realms By Cinda Williams Chima
- Warriors by Erin Hunter
- A Series of Unfortunate Events
- The Vampire Chronicles
- Wondla series
And that's all I can think of at the moment :)

message 38: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 1784 comments Yes, Harry Potter! I forgot also Matt Posner's School of the Ages series, which is both excellent and awesome.

message 39: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Michelle I love the Nicholas Flamel series, it was so very good!

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dustin wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Rachel wrote: "hi dustin!

i'm hoping to read it at some point in 2013- will definitely let you know what i think of it-glad to hear a fellow dekker fan highly recomme..."

I don't have either book yet- but will be on the lookout for a used copy or i'll just buy it new when I have time to read it :)

message 41: by ☆ Michelle (new)

☆ Michelle Kobus  (michellekobus) | 519 comments Yes, Janie, it was! :) I wish more people knew about it. I mean, it did sell well and all, but I don't seem to know many people who read it, which is a shame, I think. :-/

message 42: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Rachel wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Rachel wrote: "hi dustin!

i'm hoping to read it at some point in 2013- will definitely let you know what i think of it-glad to hear a fellow dekker fan..."

I hope you can get them soon!

message 43: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I learned about it from my SIL and she let me borrow her books, I would love to buy the whole series.

message 44: by Meryl (last edited Jul 31, 2013 04:11AM) (new)

Meryl (crossconnect) Here are a few faves
1.The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix
2.The Chronicles Of Narnia
3.Percy Jackson
4.The Kane Chronicles
5.Heroes Of Olympus
6.The Song Of The Lioness- Tamora Pierce
7.Protector Of The Small-Tamora Pierce
8.The Immortals-Tamora Pierce
9.Cordina's Royal Family-Nora Roberts
10.The Bride Quartet-NR
11.Vampire Academy-Richelle Mead
phew ...there are so many. I love these.

message 45: by Meryl (new)

Meryl (crossconnect) Terri wrote: "My very favorite is The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. Long books with a fantastic world that you can really get into, so many outstanding characters and plot twists. Lord of t..."
WOW!

message 46: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Terri wrote: "My very favorite is The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. Long books with a fantastic world that you can really get into, so many outstanding characters and plot twists. Lord of t..."

My thoughts exactly, Terri!!:)

message 47: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Going to add the Paradise series by Dekker to this. ;)

message 48: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments Soon I will be finding out what all the hype is over the ASOIAF series since Victor is sending me the first four in the series in paperback! Should be getting them Monday!

message 49: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Yay Kathryn! I am looking forward to getting started on this myself. I have been a little apprehensive since it really is not a genre I read, but we will see.

message 50: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Going to add the Paradise series by Dekker to this. ;)"

I'm thinking the same thing, Janie.:)

« previous 1 3