Reviews for the Literary Inclined discussion

Author of the Month > February 2013 AotM Nominations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (last edited Feb 05, 2013 04:33AM) (new)

Jessi Overton (pixibella) | 281 comments Mod
I this is a tad early but February's nominations will go along with the theme of February being the "Month of Love" and wanted to give you guys time to come up with some good ones. Sooo....

Please nominate an author who writes a romance novel you love &/or adore in the following genres: Contemporary Romance, Historical Romance, Erotic/Erotica Romance, Paranormal Romance, &/or Young Adult Romance

**Also you can nominate more than one author this time.
**You can promote yourself if you are a romance author

Update: So because I am really late posting the February polls. I'm going to combine February & March into one.

February's criteria is: A Month of Love - Nominate a book/author you love &/or adore in one the following genres: Contemporary Romance, Historical Romance, Erotic/Erotica Romance, Paranormal Romance, &/or Young Adult Romance 

March's criteria is: Luck of the Irish - Nominate a book/author that features one of the following: Luck or Karma, Being Irish, mythical Irish creatures, a person in the book who speak Gaelic,ST Patrick's Day, etc.

I'll give you guys until the Feb 15th to get your nominations in. Then I will be post the polls and take the top two winners [2 authors/2 books of the month].

I nominate: Julie Garwood & Kevin Hearne

message 2: by Alana ~ The Book Pimp (last edited Dec 27, 2012 07:23AM) (new)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments Kristen Ashley Kristen Ashley

She has SO many series:
Rock Chick (Rock Chick, #1) by Kristen Ashley Mystery Man (Dream Man, #1) by Kristen Ashley The Gamble (Colorado Mountain, #1) by Kristen Ashley Knight (Unfinished Hero, #1) by Kristen Ashley For You (The 'Burg, #1) by Kristen Ashley Heaven and Hell (Heaven and Hell, #1) by Kristen Ashley Until the Sun Falls from the Sky (The Three, #1) by Kristen Ashley Wildest Dreams (Fantasyland, #1) by Kristen Ashley Penmort Castle (Ghosts and Reincarnation, #1) by Kristen Ashley Mathilda, SuperWitch (Mathilda's Book of Shadows #1) by Kristen Ashley

...and those are just the first book from the series. She seems to be able to write the most messed up, alpha man characters that are complete and total jerks, and then she redeems them... magically almost. Some from the brink when I thought no redemption was possible. But she does it. My favorite romance writer if I had to pick just one

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Dec 27, 2012 07:13AM) (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 60 comments Jessi / Other Mods I completely screwed this up; meant to post this in the Book of the Month Nominations for 2013 but put it into the Author of the Month Nominations...would you please move it for me?

I would loooooove to promote myself and my Romantic Comedy / Jewish Inspirational story (my one and only RomCom and first-ever / last ever will be Jewish Inspirational) "Coming Home (Dicky's Story) "

Coming Home (Dicky's Story) by Sarah R. Yoffa

I really need to finish the cover art - I want to color Dicky in and then create some kind of background for him but life has intervened.

Dicky's Story is a faith walk -- a Jewish faith walk -- with a love story at its core. It's a story about prejudices, misconceptions about other cultures, discovery of oneself when you finally "see yourself through someone else's eyes" and of course, a story about love. All kinds of love.

You can buy Dicky's Story in all popular eBook formats at Smashwords. Because of my commitment to Read a Book, Make a Difference (RABMAD), I donate 10% of all profits from the sale of this book (at any/all sites selling it) to Covenant House (@CovenantHouse), an organization working to get homeless kids off the streets of the USA where they are starving, freezing and being trafficked into sexual slavery--or were trafficked in the first place and that's how they got to be homeless!

Besides the references to "stairwell strays" in Dicky's Story, the subjects of child trafficking and contemporary slavery are issues of extreme personal importance to me so I infuse some thread of them into every one of my stories, even an uplifting comedy like Dicky's Story.

I hope some of you will give Dicky's Story a try and I'd love to hear what you think of it after you do. If the group selects Dicky's Story as the Book of the Month for February, I'll generate a coupon code to give you to get it free (but if you buy it, Covenant House gets a donation :-)

-sry
@webbiegrrl

message 4: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Like I said self-promotions are encouraged and feel free to nominate more than one author

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenjbeal) | 5 comments I just read this and thoroughly enjoyed it:

You Had Me At Hello by Mhairi McFarlane

Unfortunately it's her debut and she hasn't published anything else yet - but I'll be waiting!

message 6: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (last edited Dec 27, 2012 07:17AM) (new)

@Alana: Are those nominations for authors or books or both?

@Helen: We love debut books around here :-D

@Webbiegrrl: It's cool since you write romance stories I'll just put you in for author of the month too!!!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments Oops... well, they were meant for BOM, I'll move them over. Sorry. I'll replace my post with authors I am nomimating

message 8: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Gotcha

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 60 comments Jessi wrote: "@Webbiegrrl: It's cool since you write romance stories I'll just put you in for author of the month too!!!"

Thank you!!! :)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 60 comments Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "Oops... well, they were meant for BOM, I'll move them over. Sorry. I'll replace my post with authors I am nomimating"

I am *SO* glad I'm not the only one who got so excited to nominate something, I did it wrong. Thank you, Alana :)

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 60 comments OMG I completely forgot about the funniest RomCom writer out there - Jennifer Crusie invented "snark" and "The Cherries" and pretty much everything we love about Contemporary RomCom's today. She's been at it for more than 20 years and Alana, talk about soooooo many titles! :) She doesn't do series as much as hilariously funny and sweet sweet sweet romance....one book at a time. I guess Jenny Crusie stays focused ((GGG)) Man, I would love to write comedy like Crusie!

I'm not sure if I could actually pick a favorite book of hers but if I had to try I guess it'd be like this:

Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie (favorite novel)
Faking It (Dempseys #2) by Jennifer Crusie (not the series but this book is definitely my #2 Crusie pick) and a short but sweet category from back in her Harlequin days:
Charlie All Night by Jennifer Crusie

I really disliked the way she came out sounding when she collaborated with Bob Mayer (but he's so awful a writer that I was unable to read more than 10 pages of his individual "bestseller" work when I tried -- and I tried more than one!) I pretty much felt he "ruined" her voice but their second collaboration seemed more like her and less like him. I enjoyed the Heroine anyway (and they said she wrote the Heroine and comedy stuff while he wrote the "guy stuff" - this was on their "He said, She said" blog)

Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie

It's still nowhere near as good as her solo stuff but it has some amusing moments. It's not that her prose is so perfect - it's that her comedic timing is incredibly close to perfect and basically, Bob Mayer has the antithesis of comedic timing--as in NONE.

-sry
@webbiegrrl

message 12: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Sarah, the Webbiegrrl Writer wrote: "OMG I completely forgot about the funniest RomCom writer out there - Jennifer Crusie invented "snark" and "The Cherries" and pretty much everything we love about Contemporary RomCom's today. She's ..."

I loved Don't Look Down by Jennifer Cruise. It was actually the first book I read by her.