Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > (Re)Kick Starting the Modern Australia Literature List

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dean (new)

Dean Mayes As I become more familiar with Goodreads, I am participating in more of the cool things that it offers.

Recently, I happened across the following list "Best Modern Australian Literature"

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/30...

Noting that it has been dormant for a little while, I decided to kick it off again and add a few titles to the list.

I'm inviting people to join me in adding to the list themselves and seeing what new titles join the many wonderful titles that are already there.

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68725 comments Mod
Thanks Dean...great idea:)

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) Let's kick The Book Thief off the top spot

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Michael wrote: "Let's kick The Book Thief off the top spot"

Oiy!!!

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) You're allowed to enjoy it but as a representation of Australia's greatest book....no way

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

OK fair point:)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Michael wrote: "You're allowed to enjoy it but as a representation of Australia's greatest book....no way"

what is your replacement suggestion?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

and can we still have Markus Zusak as Aus's cutest writer? hahah

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

With the best black T-shirt;P

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Brenda wrote: "With the best black T-shirt;P"

Most certainly haha

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

:)

message 12: by Dean (new)

Dean Mayes I added some of Elliot Perlman's works but I think his most recent release was actually set in New York. I can't recall whether it had Australian characters in it.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments That would be The Street Sweeper Dean and it aint set Oz.

message 14: by Dean (last edited Dec 21, 2012 01:17AM) (new)

Dean Mayes Michael wrote: "That would be The Street Sweeper Dean and it aint set Oz."

Probably should remove it then.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) If you remove it because it's not set in Australia or has an Australian character in it, wouldn't that put some of the books into question; like Schindler's List?

message 16: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Dean wrote: "I added some of Elliot Perlman's works but I think his most recent release was actually set in New York. I can't recall whether it had Australian characters in it."

In the The Street Sweeper Adam Zignelik mother is an Australian and he was raised in Australia. So yes I think it should be there