UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Book Recommendations > Beyond the Horizon by Karen Hedges

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosen (last edited Dec 20, 2012 02:59AM) (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Karen Hedges, a very talented lady in my writers' group, has just published her children's book, Beyond the Horizon for Kindle.

It's a space adventure. The heroes set off on their first space mission - heading off to the Moon and then the other planets in our Solar System.

Karen feels that many children's stories can stray so far from reality that they can be patronising to the more scientific-minded child. So, she had packed her book with facts and kept the plot as practical as she can, without losing the wonder and excitement of a thoroughly enjoyable adventure.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-the-Ho...

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Thanks Rosen!

What age range do you think it would be suitable for?

message 3: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I'm not great at this, but at a guess I'd say 7-11.

message 4: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I need to get Karen on Goodreads.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yep you do.

I really like the premise. I can think of three kids just in Dave's class alone who'd really be interested in it.

message 6: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Do please pass on the details. Karen's been selling a spiral bound version for some time now, and it's proven very popular.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh that's cool.

Yeah, I'll be sure to share it round once we're back at work.

Oh the younger grades all have class sets of iPads now. We're always on the lookout for picture books for the kindle app too.

If you'd like to spread the word. :)

message 8: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Ooh! I want to write a picture book!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments You'd do an awesome picture book, Rosen.

message 10: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I've made several for my nephews, but they'd need a lot of work before I could sell them.

The original version of Beyond the Horizon had a few pictures but Karen was thinking of re-doing them. I must take a look as see what she decided upon for the Kindle edition.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh yeah, I recall you mentioning you'd done some for your nephews.

Well, use some of that ample free time you have and get them published. ;)

I can't look at Karen's until I get to some wifi...