Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Is this listed with the correct author?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 333 comments This edition shows Hephaestus Books as the author while the works in question all seem to be those of Agatha Christie.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

Is this really an entry for a book of her works?

I've checked the librarians change lot but am unclear what the changes mean. Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks in advance

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim Stephen wrote: "This edition shows Hephaestus Books as the author while the works in question all seem to be those of Agatha Christie.

Is this re..."

Stephen, it looks like a collection of essays, so I added "Various" as author.

message 3: by Aruna Kumar (new)

Aruna Kumar Gadepalli (arunagklib) | 39 comments Stephen wrote: "This edition shows Hephaestus Books as the author while the works in question all seem to be those of Agatha Christie.

Is this re..."

As I understand from the link, though the works in the questions are by Agatha Christie, but various articles published on these books on wiki are collected and published

message 4: by Stephen (last edited Dec 20, 2012 01:03AM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 333 comments So should Agatha Christie be listed as an author in some capacity? perhaps as (based upon the works of)

I see that two people have rated this issue but I would bet that they just selected the wrong edition and think that their ratings really refer to the underlying works

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Stephen wrote: "So should Agatha Christie be listed as an author in some capacity? perhaps as (based upon the works of)

I see that two people have rated this issue but I would bet that they just selected the wron..."

It certainly wouldn't hurt to add her, since it would put this collection on the radar for her fans. I would say go ahead and add her.

message 6: by Aruna Kumar (new)

Aruna Kumar Gadepalli (arunagklib) | 39 comments Jim wrote: "Stephen wrote: "So should Agatha Christie be listed as an author in some capacity? perhaps as (based upon the works of)

I see that two people have rated this issue but I would bet that they just s..."

As the collection is related to Agatha Christie her name can be added as author and edited or compilation by the various or publisher

message 7: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Just a dissenting voice saying that by adding Agatha Christie, or whoever, to the record can add confusion for those who think that these are genuine books by the authors, rather than reprints of online articles ABOUT her. These are deceptive books...

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
There's no reason to add Various when there is another known author.

And Christie is not an author; this is about her (or her work), not by her.

message 9: by Stephen (last edited Dec 20, 2012 09:16AM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 333 comments I now see that Agatha Christie is NOT the author of the articles that Hephaestus Books is selling. However, I'm guessing that the people who rated this item were deceived as well and their ratings really belong to the underlying works.

If you look at Hephaestus Books list of books and check the reviews under their Hunger Games entry this is even more apparent. Is there no way to make this clearer?

I see The Hunger Games: A WikiFocus Book listed in a full search for the hunger game. At least the subtitle makes it clearer there. Could we not institute a policy of subtitling derivative works of this sort?

There are other alternatives that more reputable publishers use. Look at what's found under The Hobbit:
The Hobbit (Prima's Official Strategy Guide)
The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (Cliffs Notes)
The Hobbit: A Unit Plan

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
Stephen wrote: "Is there no way to make this clearer?"

There's no way to force users to read the descriptions.