Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Authors > Dean Koontz

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (last edited Dec 19, 2012 10:16PM) (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) Has anyone read the action/thriller novels of Dean Koontz?

I feel Dean Koontz has penned some of his best work in this field.

I highly recommend "Dark Rivers Of The Heart" Dark Rivers of the Heart, "Strangers" Strangers, and "Icebound" Icebound .

message 2: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited Dec 20, 2012 04:14AM) (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Absolutely. I'm not familiar with Dark Rivers of the Heart, but I am the other two.

I'd add Phantoms, Midnightand my all time favorite Koontz book, and on my overall favorites shelf is

Twilight Eyes.

Your absolutely right. Koontz has a lot of action in a good number of books. It's not all Psycho-Horror. I'd call them, Horror Books with fun Action Sequences which is certainly fairgame here (right beside Fantasy, and Sci-Fi.)

And, I should add The Servants of Twilight. This is really a Horror-Suspence Thriller, but, it's full of gunfights, car chases and you name it! (and a really good, make-your-skin-crawl-Egad!-Hug your Dog ending!)

message 3: by Kevin (last edited Dec 22, 2012 12:29PM) (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) I, Curmudgeon wrote: "Absolutely. I'm not familiar with Dark Rivers of the Heart, but I am the other two.

I'd add Phantoms, Midnightand my all time favorite Koontz book, and on my overall favorites shelf is

Twilig..."

I read "Servants" and thought it ws quites good. I also read "Phantoms" and found that novel to be more of a horror tale.
"Dark Divers" is a straight forward action yarn.

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattipunkin) | 267 comments Kevin wrote: "I, Curmudgeon wrote: "Absolutely. I'm not familiar with Dark Rivers of the Heart, but I am the other two.

I'd add Phantoms, Midnightand my all time favorite Koontz book, and on my overall favor..."

For straight Koontz action I like 'Velocity' and 'The Husband.'

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattipunkin) | 267 comments Love Koontz's writing in general.

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 115 comments Dean Koontz is my absolute favorite author. I love his recent stuff as well.

message 7: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I've only read one Koontz, Watchers which I really enjoyed.

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattipunkin) | 267 comments Koontz has a gentle view of people, and a great attitude toward women.

message 9: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
I like Koontz's older stuff. Twilight Eyes is still my favorite.

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 449 comments I, Curmudgeon wrote: "I like Koontz's older stuff. Twilight Eyes is still my favorite."

I'm one of those that definitely prefer the older Koontz books as well. My two joint favorites are
Strangers and Watchers with Lightning and Twilight Eyes next on my list. All four are on my bookshelves and are re-read.

I occasionally pick up one of the others at the library, though not too often and I think the last one I read that I got all the way through was Sole Survivor.

I haven't tried any of his in the last few years.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) Intensity and Tic-Toc are quite good, well worth a read.

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 115 comments Kevin wrote: "Intensity and Tic-Toc are quite good, well worth a read."

Totally agree with you Kevin! They are very good.

message 13: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Sharon wrote: "I, Curmudgeon wrote: "I like Koontz's older stuff. Twilight Eyes is still my favorite."

I'm one of those that definitely prefer the older Koontz books as well. My two joint favorites are
Strange..."

I liked Lightning a lot too.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) I, Curmudgeon wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I, Curmudgeon wrote: "I like Koontz's older stuff. Twilight Eyes is still my favorite."

I'm one of those that definitely prefer the older Koontz books as well. My two joint favorit..."

I have Lightning in my Nook waiting to be read.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4711 comments Mod
I've read a fair amount of his older books. But I am sorely behind on his newer books. I hope to read Odd Thomas in the near future.

My favorites by Koontz are:

Watchers
The Face of Fear
Lightning

Tick Tock was good too, but a bit strange as far as the humor.

message 16: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Wow, that looks like 4-5 votes for Lightning as a favorite Koontz book!

That was just, very different from what I expected at the time from Koontz. Very creative (though not completely original) and, it was a sadly sweet love story to boot!

message 17: by Scott B. (new)

Scott B. (grimmy2016) | 1 comments read all of his books back in the 90s when the covers were mostly black with colorful titles. lived him then...but as an adult I found his books overly detailed to the point it made reading stories exhausting. had to give him up for good after this last one. :-(

message 18: by Dipanjan (new)

Dipanjan | 51 comments Currently reading Mr. Murder. So far I find it pretty intriguing. Just 27% through though.

message 19: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

My favorite is Twilight Eyes. It's a bit older but not his first book either. I enjoyed it.

message 20: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan | 274 comments LOVE Koontz novels. He's my most favorite pure Thriller author. From the books that I read of him, my absolute most favorites are Odd Thomas, Life Expectancy, Watchers, Dark Rivers of the Heart, Cold Fire etc. Currently on a James Rollins binge-reading, but very soon hopefully I'll start Koontz's Phantoms, Strangers, Lightning and By the Light of the Moon.

message 21: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattipunkin) | 267 comments I am in awe of Koontz. I have to be in the mood to read him, but I love him. I agree that Odd Thomas is my all time favorite. Never have decided if he is alive or not after the second book. Velocity is the fastest moving book I ever read, followed closely by The Husband.

I think he has a wonderful attitude toward people in general and women in particular.

message 22: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Apr 30, 2014 11:06AM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I enjoy when Koontz writes scientific, supernatural, or outright horror. To me his favorites, the thriller with serial killers, etc., can grow bland. I think he writes great description and imaginative stories. He also has a knack for writing loveable dogs. I don't, however, think he writes romantic relationships well at all and misses his mark with some of his protagonists. He writes villains better.