ROBUST discussion

Vanguard Elite (Cold War, Hot Passions, #1)
This topic is about Vanguard Elite
Reviews > VANGUARD ELITE book 1 in COLD WAR, HOT PASSIONS first reviews in!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andre Jute (last edited Feb 20, 2013 05:53PM) (new) - added it

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
VANGUARD ELITE Book 1 of COLD WAR, HOT PASSIONS by Andre Jute

REVIEW FROM LIBRARYTHING:

The time is 1917; the scene is St Petersburg; the event is the Bolshevik Revolution. Those are the central historical facts forming the beginnings of Andre Jute’s Russian saga. The story begins not with politics but with a character introduction straight out of Russian literature; a peasant and soldier, dislocated, hungry, in the midst of the chaos and abuses of power of a society breaking down. But then Russian history seems to be a state of permanent social breakdown.

For me this was the best part of this story, and recalls Russian literature at its finest. But the entire book was interesting and well worth reading. The Bolshevik Revolution is not a period of history I know much about, or was ever very interested in, to be perfectly honest. Based on what I know of Andre Jute’s work I assume he has portrayed events accurately and fairly represented the policies and personalities of the leaders of the emerging Bolshevik hegemony. At the risk of introducing spoilers, I must say the ineptitude of both sides was a major surprise (some Mexican revolutions were better planned) and in that sense the Bolshevik Revolution prefigures Soviet era society. But I may be guilty of reading more into the story than was intended. The foreshadowing of the coming "Bolshevik Terror" is, I'm sure, deliberate, however.

VANGUARD ELITE Book 1 of COLD WAR, HOT PASSIONS was a real pleasure to read, the writing is rock solid and flawless – every word is the right word, in the right place. The only problem I had is that the first volume of this multi-volume saga is too short. The next volume is written and awaiting publication. Bring it on.

--abrwrite/LibraryThing

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I finished this a couple of weeks ago, and will be doing a formal review here, Amazon, and a few places here next week.

message 3: by Andre Jute (new) - added it

Yay! Verily!

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I'll be reviewing this tomorrow, but I had a question. I saw a link for a review to Vanguard Elite and that was marked as book 1 of Cold War/Hot Passions. As best I can tell is this just Dreams renamed, or am I missing something very obvious (as I often do)?

message 5: by Andre Jute (new) - added it

It's DREAMS retitled more accurately to reflect the contents. You will see that there were dreamers among the Bolsheviks in the beginning, but the October Revolution wasn't made by them, and they didn't become the Chekisti, who would be the key players in Soviet-style communism.

Gemma is sending out new copies to the reviewers but I'll post one to you immediately, though the only change is the title and a credit for the editor who compiled the Russian glossary.

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Ah. Okay then.

message 7: by Andre Jute (last edited Feb 06, 2013 05:19PM) (new) - added it

"I am reading this now. So well-written, with the combination of graceful, elegant prose and tough subject that matter that makes Andre one of the best around." — Matt Posner on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/professorposn...

VANGUARD ELITE Book 1 of COLD WAR, HOT PASSIONS £1.88

message 8: by Andre Jute (new) - added it

VANGUARD ELITE Book 1 of COLD WAR, HOT PASSIONS
by André Jute
$2.99/€2.60/£1.88

5 Stars
Gone With The Bolsheviks?
Review by Doug Glassford

How do I describe this book... it reads like a literary classic and as a screenplay for a historical documentary miniseries. The language is lush, vibrant even when describing the horrors associated with the Bolshevik Revolution... as with any great nation that suffers the chaos of change brought about by a sudden shift in government. This story follows the lives of three generations of strangers who became fast friends in a decidedly unfriendly environment. Idealists and realists intertwine as things that keep spinning out of balance are justified and vilified in this dense, tense telling of a true historical event; one that helped shape our world into what it is today.

I have not yet completed the final chapters of this amazing narrative. It is difficult to rush through. The imagery through words painted by author Andre Jute makes me feel that I am moving through an art gallery where I wish to study every aspect, explore every color... more than once. I cannot remember when I have read a book of this caliber in recent years. I know that I will enjoy reading this book over and over again throughout the upcoming years and referring back to it's wonderful descriptive use of language imagery to challenge my own writing efforts.

If you enjoy historical fiction that feels like historical fact. If you enjoy immersing yourself into a historical time period or place where you can never physically go. You will enjoy this book. If you are looking for light, quick reading, you might not enjoy this book. It is immediate and had a tunnel vision effect upon me. It might do the same to you, so if you commute be careful; you might miss your bus stop or train stop. Should you wish to read this while on your treadmill, I would suggest caution. You might fall off during a moment of visualization. This novel demands and absorbs a lot of your sensory perception so you should only read it when you have the time and proper place to do so. Even in a coffee shop don't be surprised if your latte goes cold before you've finished the current section or chapter you are reading.

You might think this pure hyperbole, but I assure you as best I can as a faceless reviewer that I am not fluffing this up. I challenge you to prove me wrong.

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Filled in my review here finally, and I also posted a review to goodbookalet.blogspot.com:

http://goodbookalert.blogspot.com/201...

I posted it to Amazon as well.

message 10: by Andre Jute (new) - added it

Thanks, Jeremy, you're a prince among men.

message 11: by J.A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.A. Beard (jabeard) You're welcome.

message 12: by Andre Jute (new) - added it

I'm planning on using the review a few places, but first Amazon is doing their thing to improve the discoverability of the novel.

http://goodbookalert.blogspot.ie/2013...

message 13: by J.A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.A. Beard (jabeard) What are they doing?

message 14: by Andre Jute (new) - added it

I hope only fixing a glitch. If it is new search algorithms they will be profoundly hostile to indies. More when I know more.

message 15: by J.A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Okay then.

message 16: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Hallowell | 97 comments Andre Jute wrote: "I hope only fixing a glitch. If it is new search algorithms they will be profoundly hostile to indies. More when I know more."

I fervently hope any change to the book discovery process turns out to be a functional system to replace the tags we lost. I'm not holding my breath, though.

message 17: by Andre Jute (new) - added it

Good character-driven historical fiction
Review by J. A. Beard

Vanguard Elite is an engaging character-driven look at the Revolution that marked the beginning of the Soviet Union.

Revolution comes from suffering.

Andre Jute's Vanguard Elite focuses on a few key events before and during the "Red October" Bolshevik Revolt. True to the nature of the events, some very humble Russians get a front-eye view, alongside some more familiar names such as Lenin and Stalin. Indeed, the main focus is on a more character-driven narrative involving characters from several different backgrounds that all end up being involved in the Revolution. This is the first in a multi-volume series tracing several characters and families throughout the life of the Soviet Union. The character development is all top notch, and even many of the characters who get only brief attention still have a depth to them that makes them linger.

The exploration of the mindset of the Revolution is also quite fascinating. Some key events are alluded to, and for the others, a Revolutionary's eye view is provided. Despite the rhetoric coming from the revolutionaries the book eschewed any simplistic depiction of plucky revolutionaries versus the state. Instead, the complex nature and motivations of the revolutionaries and the sorry state of Russia at the time are explored in a way that makes the suffering palpable in an engaging way without pretending that the people who want to be in charge are as necessarily as noble or capable as some of them would like to believe. The author, in a sense, does a good job of presenting the Revolution itself as a sort of another character, and through its atmosphere and details begins to offer a commentary and explanation for what history will further bring.

— J. A. Beard/Amazon (extract only)

message 18: by J.A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I hope to read the sequel sometime this week, time permitting.

message 19: by Andre Jute (new) - added it

Happy to know I've grabbed one reader who wants to know what happened to the characters! Look forward to your review, Jeremy.

Actually, you won't be able to stop reading, because in the volume after TERRORS, which is called DERRING-DO, a star of Air Force Intelligence is born. (DERRING-DO ends before the USAF is separated from the Army, but the antecedents are both entertaining and informative; I was chucking, a couple of days ago when I made the last editorial pass before locking up the text, as I read the description of the key events.)