Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) Fifty Shades of Grey discussion


229 views
Alas, we are agreed!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new) - rated it 1 star

Lori That this book is such a phenomenon is an alarming forecast of the decline of our literary standards. Combined with the equally inferior Dragon Tatoo Girl, I am completely stunned. Maybe I'll "clamber" back under the covers... to read a better book!


Karen This book was garbage! The lead female character was an annoying imbecile, and I'm not even going to mention the guy. I read these because that was all anyone I know would talk about and I wanted to have something to say, now all I have to add to these conversations is how aggravating Ana Steele was and how mind-numbingly stupid the character seemed.


message 3: by Nyaore (last edited Dec 19, 2012 07:53PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nyaore Karen wrote: "This book was garbage! The lead female character was an annoying imbecile, and I'm not even going to mention the guy. I read these because that was all anyone I know would talk about and I wanted t..."
Glad I wasn't the only one to catch onto Ana's stupidity. I mean, seriously, not knowing how to use a computer when you attend a university that requires typed essays AND an email address - and you're apparently graduating with fairly good marks at that? If I handed in a hand written essay, which is all I can assume she did given the fact that I don't think typewriters are readily available anymore, my teachers would have failed me on that assignment full stop. It could have been War and Peace levels of greatness, and they still would have failed me for not following their requirements. (WSU email: http://infotech.wsu.edu/email/index.html)

But then let's not forget her constantly ignoring her subconscious when it's telling her that Grey is trouble. And really, if this wasn't wish fulfillment fantasy Grey could easily pass for a serial killer with how creepy he and dehumanizing her is. Or her inability to recognize abuse when she sees it, then again most domestic abuse victims DON'T see it. Then there's her refusal to do research into the BDSM scene or wanting to talk to his previous partners about their experiences with the man, and just so many other little things that would take an entire page to parse out. James went to so many levels to make Ana seem innocent and trusting, but it backfired and she only came off as mindbogglingly stupid and naive.

As for why tripe like this gets popular.. Guilty pleasures that don't require much thought tend to rise in popularity. Just look at Twilight, easy reading - more unfortunate implications than you can shake a 2x4 at, and insanely popular at the moment. That said, most books like Twilight and FSoG don't STAY popular. They lack the staying power of true literary classics, and fade into obscurity once the next popular thing comes into play.


Siobhan It's funny, the subconscious is what happens in your brain that you're not aware of, Anna's mental abilities must be honed to accessing that and ignoring all else.

And my university was the same with typed essays. And doesn't the uni have a library crammed with computers? Poor research!


Siobhan I quite like house of night, it's accidentally hilarious!


Lorettacross This book was very bad. I did not finish it.


Robbie Thornton Anyone remember Barbara Cartland? She wrote over 200 books, all various versions of "wealthy scandalous rake seduces virginal, usually reasonably poor but plucky girl". All had short, easy paragraphs that a 10 year old could read and comprehend, with little or no depth to the storyline or the characters.

When people ask me what I think of FSoG, I tell them it's what Barbara Cartland would have done if she'd done BDSM. But then, I'm afraid this is an insult to Barbara Cartland, so I almost feel guilty for saying it.


message 8: by Maxi (new) - rated it 1 star

Maxi Bolongaita Anna-Kathrin wrote: "Lori wrote: "That this book is such a phenomenon is an alarming forecast of the decline of our literary standards. Combined with the equally inferior Dragon Tatoo Girl, I am completely stunned. M..."

I totally agree! I used to work at a publishing company catering to people who self-publish their books. It was awful. There were a lot of run-of-the-mill copycats and the writing style was as if Honeybooboo's mom wrote it. Yuck!

I'm hoping this is all some publicity stunt and its like Naked Came the Stranger but . . . sadly, this literary nightmare is a reality.


message 9: by Sky (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sky I am just curious what you thought of The Dragon Tatoo Girl, lol. It was originally written in the Swedish language though, yeaaars ago, and the copies we have in America were translated for us to read. Translation is an art, and sadly cannot properly tell the whole story sometimes. May notice it feels like words were left out where there should have been adjectives, nouns, etc. Not being native to the English language could pose a reason for the grammar in that book to be bad. After he died, another translator picked it up, I believe.


message 10: by Sky (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sky (But I will agree 100% with the issues with 50 Shades lol. It was distracting, but I was too curious to read after so many friends talked about it. I was left mentally scarred though, I think lol


Melanie I really don't like the fact the series is about a woman's love will transform a bad boy into loving husband and father. There were times I really wanted to smack Ana and not just for being stupid. "Liam McCollum, I wonder where he is from?" I think it must be SE Asia there would never be an Irishman named that.

I've only read the 1st book to the Dragon Tatoo series, but I enjoyed it. It was a quick read, but I had a hard time putting it down simply because I wanted to know what happened next.


 Bella Marie Aaaa!!! Its twilight all over again!!!! Another book that it is trush. Millions of people have read it and believe it is awsome, Hollywood is gonna make it a movie and probably make millions but here we are judging a book so hursh that can make me hide that I actually like the book. Yeap its twilight all over again....


message 13: by Sky (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sky Well, it was a Twilight Parody when she first wrote 50 Shades lol.


message 14: by Dawn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn I liked FSoG, Twilight, House of Night, and all those other "mindless" books. I like an escape from my daily life where I have to be thinking about every detail of my day and my families day.

What I find annoying about any book is when it is a plagiarized piece of crap that every one RAVES about and thinks is so new and what a great idea. *Cough* Hunger games *cough*. Then you get people who haven't read the original saying oh no that's not true. And the author lying about never hearing of the original when they were directly involved with some of the hype on the book when it first came out. This book was really close to plagiarism for me, but not so terrible that I couldn't see the difference. The story line at least is different, as is the content. It may have started as a parody, but at least the main points aren't the same. Honestly the first book in the series was a little off for me, but I loved the second and third books. I don't apologize for what I like to read, and not everyone is going to like what I like. I like a range of authors from Stephanie Meyers, to Norman Mailor, to Chaucer and when I want to escape from stress you can find me in a book that allows me to forget whats going on around me.


message 15: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Karen wrote: "This book was garbage! The lead female character was an annoying imbecile, and I'm not even going to mention the guy. I read these because that was all anyone I know would talk about and I wanted t..."

These books are no worse than many books out there that constitute popular fiction. The characters are no more hackneyed or vapid than those in Nicholas Sparks novels and actually better IMO than the Twilight books. It took me a while to care enough in FSoG to continue on with all 3 books, however I could NOT get past the terrible writing in Twilight to see it through to the end. There are very few "new" ideas in literature. Bridget Jone's Diary was based on Pride and Prejudice and there must be hundreds more based just on that book alone. It just seems to me that E.L. James is the writer du jour to bash at this particular moment in time.


Siobhan Mary wrote: "Karen wrote: "This book was garbage! The lead female character was an annoying imbecile, and I'm not even going to mention the guy. I read these because that was all anyone I know would talk about ..."

I'm glad you said that, I've read one Nicholas Sparks out of curiousity and was appalled by how bad it was. And he's a forerunner for adult romance?


message 17: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Siobhan wrote: "I'm glad you said that, I've read one Nicholas Sparks out of curiousity and was appalled by how bad it was. And he's a forerunner for adult romance? ..."

Sparks is the literary equivalent of a Lifetime movie IMO.


Siobhan I love how he puts unnecessary violence in romance novels. It's like he's writing for women, but don't forget, he's a man! Look, a gun being wielded by a Hillbilly! Yeah, testosterone! Oh, and the lead couple make out. The end.

*See, I don't just hate on 50, I hate on so many poorly written books!*


message 19: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Siobhan wrote: "I love how he puts unnecessary violence in romance novels. It's like he's writing for women, but don't forget, he's a man! Look, a gun being wielded by a Hillbilly! Yeah, testosterone! Oh, and the ..."

LOL! However if your diet of books consists of Nicholas Sparks type books, then there is a limited frame of reference.


Siobhan Oh god, no! Only the one "The Best of Me". But the Notebook is a beautiful film, and I liked watching the Lucky One (I like the gratuitous butt shot of Zac Efron in the Lucy One. I like Zac Efron. I only watched for Zac.) and I don't get how they were so brilliantly shot and created when they had his novels to work with.

I much prefer the likes of Sophie Kinsella and Dorothy Koomson. Dorothy writes for coloured women too, without being all 'empowerment!' or stereotypical. I've cried at every one of her books.


message 21: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Siobhan wrote: "Oh god, no! Only the one "The Best of Me". But the Notebook is a beautiful film, and I liked watching the Lucky One (I like the gratuitous butt shot of Zac Efron in the Lucy One. I like Zac Efron. ..."

Sparks just does not do it for me. Too sappy. I have not read any Sophie Kinsella or Dorothy Koomson. As far as contemporary romance, I prefer Rachel Gibson, Jennifer Crusie and Susan Elizabeth Phillips.


message 22: by Lori (new) - rated it 1 star

Lori Sky wrote: "I am just curious what you thought of The Dragon Tatoo Girl, lol. It was originally written in the Swedish language though, yeaaars ago, and the copies we have in America were translated for us to ..."

At first, I thought it was the translation too; I was willing to give it the benefit of doubt. But after awhile, even my generous misgivings gave way to complete disappointment. It's been awhile now since I drug myself through it, but I was bored by the tedious details. Buying winter gear... okay, but who cares? How long it took to do something -- 10 min., 12 min., again and again. Really? I felt the ending wrapped up too quickly. It was as if someone told Larson he had to end the story in x number of words. I thought the entire book was abysmal and that is is such a phenomenon stuns me. Sorry-- I do go on...


message 23: by Lori (new) - rated it 1 star

Lori Melanie wrote: "I really don't like the fact the series is about a woman's love will transform a bad boy into loving husband and father. There were times I really wanted to smack Ana and not just for being stupid..."

I wanted to smack James for using "clamber" repeatedly. As the frequency increased, I swore I was going to hurl the book across the room. (But it was borrowed --thankfully!) It was as if she'd learned a new word and had to impress with how she could use it -- ad nauseam.


message 24: by Angie Elle (new)

Angie Elle Lori wrote: "Melanie wrote: "I really don't like the fact the series is about a woman's love will transform a bad boy into loving husband and father. There were times I really wanted to smack Ana and not just ..."

I mentioned that in my review! How many people actually use that word on a daily basis, let alone hundreds of times in two weeks?


message 25: by Lori (new) - rated it 1 star

Lori Anna-Kathrin wrote: "Lori wrote: "That this book is such a phenomenon is an alarming forecast of the decline of our literary standards. Combined with the equally inferior Dragon Tatoo Girl, I am completely stunned. M..."

And the frightening thing is that my students do not want to think either! What I could do in the classroom as recently as 5-6 years ago has plummeted in comparison to what I can teach to now. As a society, we are aiming our standard at the masses and what sells, not what is good literature. A disheartening decline. What's to stop us?


message 26: by Sky (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sky The one thing that keeps me wanting to read the rest of the trilogy, is that I want to see if Christian changes, as well as the structure of the book. /hopeful


Catherine I loved this series!! Why people continue to read erotica, and then expect something of a literary masterpiece is quite beyond me. Erotica is just that, it is for pleasure. If you don't enjoy this genre, why, I ask, do you read it? Read Solzhenitsyn and others of his ilk. Enough said.


message 28: by Sky (last edited Jan 15, 2013 04:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sky Erotica is fun to read. I will say that. And I do think that the story with 50 Shades is fun, just a few things that bothered me, the repetitive of words, and some placement, but I am interested in the story, is why I keep reading. I understand that this was a parody of SM's Twilight, and that is the reasoning behind Christians controlling behavior, he's an ass, and he does admit it. E.L. James isn't a horrible author, but again, I am in it for the story, I am getting past the errors.


back to top