Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > January 2013 Challenge - AWW13 or TBR

Comments Showing 1-50 of 183 (183 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70531 comments Mod
Our January challenge will be a kick-start to the year for you all. For anyone participating in the AWW13 challenge this year http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... read as many Australian Women authors as you can for the month. BUT if you'd prefer, hit your TBR with a vengeance and reduce it by as many as you can!
If you are SUPER fast readers, perhaps you can combine the two;)

Photobucket

As usual, list and link all the books you're going to read, so others can get some ideas, and don't forget to mark them off as you go.

These links have mostly Aussie women (some male) authors of
YA:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/40...

Fantasy:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/67...

Crime Fiction:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/19...

Miles Franklin Literary:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/19...

Mix of Aussie authors:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/16...

Photobucket

Link for: 50 Great books by AWW in 2012
http://www.readings.com.au/collection...

If your TBR looks like this....

Photobucket

perhaps you'd better work on it!

Photobucket

Have a wonderful, relaxing month of reading up a storm!

message 2: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Well, I'm going to start off the year & read A Beautiful Place To Die for AWW13 & my crime book club. And then I'm going to ATTACK my TBR list on shelf ;)

message 3: by Sabina (new)

Sabina (ms_delirium) I'm probably going to aim at my TBR list as I have way too many books that I physically own that I haven't gotten around to reading (not going to count what I'll get for Christmas!). I'd like to knock some of them down before uni starts back up again in Feb.
I'll edit the list to add more later.
Don't Turn Around (PERSEF0NE, #1) by Michelle Gagnon
Eon Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1) by Alison Goodman
Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 160 comments Sabina wrote: "I'm probably going to aim at my TBR list as I have way too many books that I physically own that I haven't gotten around to reading (not going to count what I'll get for Christmas!). I'd like to kn..."

I'm the same Sabina, way too many books that I own and haven't gotten around to reading and getting more for Christmas so hopefully I will be able to chip away at my TBR list. I'll post as I finish books.
Happy reading everyone :)

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melanie_yamidnightreads) This sounds great! I'm aiming to reduce my TBR list since I hate having too many books on it.

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melanie_yamidnightreads) Sabina wrote: "I'm probably going to aim at my TBR list as I have way too many books that I physically own that I haven't gotten around to reading (not going to count what I'll get for Christmas!). I'd like to kn..."

Haha same here! I got the Eon duo-logy as an early x mas present so I might start with that

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3508 comments Reducing the TBR list is a popular choice for lots of us and that will be my target as well!! Will post my books as I get a hold of them!

message 8: by Trina (new)

Trina (trina88) | 263 comments I'll just be reading some books I've already got, all of them probably first for the summer challenge, but I'll list them when I go through them.

message 9: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments I think I also will try and whittle down my TBR list and if I'm not mistaken some of those are from female Aussie authors so hopefully two birds....

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Elaine wrote: "I think I also will try and whittle down my TBR list and if I'm not mistaken some of those are from female Aussie authors so hopefully two birds...."

Hahaha!! I wondered who would say this first!! Same Elaine:)

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I have so many Aussie women authors on my TBR list, I will list the ones I want to read, and see how I go;)

Shallow Breath by Sara Foster Last Chance Cafe by Liz Byrski Body Count (Sophie Anderson, #1) by P.D. Martin Dudes Down Under by Suzannah Burke The Precipice by Virginia Duigan Mark of the Dragon Queen by Katie W. Stewart The Murderers' Club (Sophie Anderson, #2) by P.D. Martin ....there are more, but I'll see how I go with this lot:)

message 12: by Isabel (new)

Isabel Mansfield (issy05) | 62 comments What a great challenge.This list is from both my TBR & AWW.
As Darkness Falls by Bronwyn Parry
The Convent by Maureen McCarthy
Lioness by Katherine Scholes
The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth
Dreams of Speaking. Gail Jones by Gail Jones

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Great choices there Isabel! You will love your first one listed!!

message 14: by Elaine (last edited Jan 05, 2013 02:21PM) (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments I will start with these from my TBR list The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson Amsterdam by Ian McEwan My Ántonia by Willa Cather and then if I can fit them in these female Aussie authors The Harp In The South by Ruth Park and All That I Am by Anna Funder .

Changing my last two selections to The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman and The Street Sweeper by Elliot Perlman , as am struggling to find the other two.

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Nice list Elaine:)

message 16: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Brenda wrote: "Nice list Elaine:)"

Thanks Brenda. The first three need to go back to the library mid-January so I have to read them and I've been wanting to read Anna Funder's book for ages.

message 17: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Brenda wrote: "I have so many Aussie women authors on my TBR list, I will list the ones I want to read, and see how I go;)

Shallow Breath by Sara Foster Last Chance Cafe by Liz Byrski [bookcover:Bod..."

Isn't that only a weeks reading for you Brenda??? You seem to fly through your books.

message 18: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Elaine wrote: "Brenda wrote: "I have so many Aussie women authors on my TBR list, I will list the ones I want to read, and see how I go;)

Shallow Breath by Sara Foster Last Chance Cafe by Liz Byrski..."

Haha!!

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessiquie) | 88 comments I own so many unread books by Australian Women writers that I'm actually having trouble picking some for this challenge. The following list is tentative, and most likely to change... but hey its a starting point.

Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles #1) by Melina Marchetta A Corner of White (The Colours of Madeleine #1) by Jaclyn Moriarty Secrets of the Tides by Hannah Richell The Great Deception by Joy Chambers Dead Heat by Bronwyn Parry The Convent by Maureen McCarthy

message 21: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Great lists Jess and Jackie:)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Im in, and attacking TBR with force, actually a lot of mine are Aussy female authors anyway so hurrah for me and getting both done haha

message 23: by Catherine (last edited Jan 23, 2013 03:21AM) (new)

Catherine | 76 comments I'm in too. I'll read from my TBR:

1. Hound of the Baskervilles  by Arthur Conan Doyle
2. Sold by Patricia McCormick Sold completed 17/012013
3. Animal Farm by George Orwell Animal Farm completed 3/01/2013
4. The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett

message 24: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Looking good everyone:)

message 25: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melanie_yamidnightreads) I'm going to start off with January (Conspiracy 365 #1) by Gabrielle Lord (which is also part of my 2013 challenge) then go with Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters, #3) by Jessica Shirvington and Endless (The Violet Eden Chapters, #4) by Jessica Shirvington which is is both my TBR and a Aussie woman writer.

message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Nice Melanie:)

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 306 comments I'm in, I'll just post my tbr books as I go.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in too, good chance to lessen my mountain of to-read books. Will post as I read. :)

message 29: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Not long until start time!!!!

message 30: by Kellyanne (last edited Dec 30, 2012 03:03PM) (new)

Kellyanne Oooh. A cross challenge opportunity! My New Years Resolution is actually to read more Aussie female writers too, so I have been thinking about this for a while. I should be able to fit in 4 in Jan.

Saving Francesca
Triptych
Finnikin of the Rock
The Magicians' Guild

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta Triptych by Krissy Kneen Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles #1) by Melina Marchetta The Magicians' Guild (The Black Magician Trilogy, #1) by Trudi Canavan

message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Well done Kellyanne:)

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Since I started book two in this series this morning, I'm sure I'm going to read these books first:

The Dead
The Fear
The Sacrifice

The Dead (The Enemy #2) by Charlie Higson The Fear (The Enemy #3) by Charlie Higson The Sacrifice (The Enemy #4) by Charlie Higson

I'll come back and add more when I've finished these three. (Shouldn't be long as they are hard to put down)

message 33: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Just started the first in this challenge My Ántonia My Ántonia by Willa Cather .

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Good to see you're getting stuck right into it Gina and Elaine:)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll have finished the first one by tonight. Only wish I could brush cut the chook yard, and read at the same time, but it might be a bit dangerous... :)

message 36: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Georgina wrote: "I'll have finished the first one by tonight. Only wish I could brush cut the chook yard, and read at the same time, but it might be a bit dangerous... :)"

Haha! I think we all wish we could read and do other things Gina. I think the audio books are the only options for that!

Paperback Princess (paperbackprincess) | 11 comments I'm participating in the Summer Reading Challenge and the AWW challenge so I'm going to tackle Australian women writers for this month. I have just finished reading:-

Blood Song (Lharmell, #1) by Rhiannon Hart

and currently reading

Blood Storm (Lharmell, #2) by Rhiannon Hart

both by Melbourne-based Australian writer
Rhiannon Hart

I'm also hosting a feature on my blog (this month) which will include Author Interviews and Giveaways from YA Aussie Authors, so this month I'll be knocking off this Challenge along with the AWW challenge. This feature is to commemorate Australia Day!

message 38: by Mary (new)

Mary (fruity) | 3 comments I'm reading The Secret Keeper by Australian Kate Morton. It's really good so far

message 39: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Mary wrote: "I'm reading The Secret Keeper by Australian Kate Morton. It's really good so far"

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton :)

message 40: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Paperback Princess wrote: "I'm participating in the Summer Reading Challenge and the AWW challenge so I'm going to tackle Australian women writers for this month. I have just finished reading:-

[bookcover:Blood Song|1139960..."

That sounds great PBP...good luck with it.:)

message 41: by Kadi (new)

Kadi (kads) | 99 comments I'll have a look for some female aussie writers but I am reading Sins of the Father: The Untold Story Behind Schapelle Corby's Ill-fated Drug Run and next up I have the books Feed A Question of Identity

message 42: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Just finished My Ántonia by Willa Cather which was a two birds kind of read, as it was also part of my summer challenge reading. So 1 down 4 to go for this challenge. This has been on my TBR list for years, even before GR. I really enjoyed it and gave it 4 stars.

message 44: by Trina (new)

Trina (trina88) | 263 comments Finished my first TBR The Waste Lands.

message 45: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Well done guys!

message 46: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Finished my first Aussie female author... Paper Chains by Nicola Moriarty

message 47: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Finished my second TBR read in this challenge. Amsterdam Amsterdam by Ian McEwan . I quite enjoyed it and gave it 4 stars.

message 48: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Well done Elaine:)

message 49: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Thanks Brenda. I may have to change two of my selections though as I'm struggling to find the books at my local libraries or rather they both have a gazillion reserves on them. It annoys me cause I was so sure I had a copy of The Harp In The South but I can't find it. I'll have to buy both books I think.

message 50: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessiquie) | 88 comments Finished my first one, Dead Heat by Bronwyn Parry Dead Heat by Bronwyn Parry I loved it. My review can be found at http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

« previous 1 3 4