What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > a picture book set in the jungle with vivid colourful imagery

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Dec 19, 2012 05:43PM) (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Hi,

I was read a picture book in primary school that I'm hoping to track down. Most likely published in the 80's or early 90's. Unfortunately I cannot even remember a title or author. The book however stuck in my mind as it seemed to have very bright and colourful patterns and I believe there were a few titles published by this author. I'm thinking perhaps the artwork was painted, maybe even in watercolour by the author but I might be wrong. I'm also not sure but it might have been an Australian author. All I could find online which had some similar artwork as to what I remember is the first picture at this link: http://grainedit.com/2011/02/03/hvass.... This isn't the author but the style is very similar. And it isn't Eric Carle either I'm pretty sure of that. Sorry this is so vague, if anyone remembers something similar I'd be most grateful! Thank you, Rachel :-)

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 6 comments can you remember what the story was about at all?

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Some of the art by Ellen Walsh and Leo Lionni is a bit similar, but usually not so bright. Hmm...

Do you remember if there were mice, or jungle animals, or farm animals, or people, or.... ?

message 5: by Mir (new)

Mir | 703 comments Could the author be Ezra Jack Keats?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Maybe something by Charley Harper?

Browse through some of his artwork here
https://www.charleyharperprints.com/

and here are some of the Charley Harper items Powells has for sale.
http://www.powells.com/s?author=Charl...

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Hi all,

Thank you so much for your kind help :-)

Mary - all I can remember is a forest, I think that's where the picture book was set. I'm sorry that doesn't help much!

Cheryl - thank you very much. None of these seem to resonate with me. But I really appreciate all your suggestions.

Lobstergirl - this does look close but again, not exactly the one I remember.

Nevermind though, as most things you forget you come across them when you aren't even looking so I'm sure one day when I'm browsing through some old books I'll come across it again! Thanks for all your help :-)

Kind wishes,
Rachel

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Rachel--don't give up. Bump this up occassionally and sooner or later SOMEONE will find it for you. We've had things id-ed as fast as 5 minutes, and others it's taken years. I had one that was almost 3 years before it was ID-ed. And I still have a few that are older than that. Including one where the "root story" has been ID-ed, but not the particular telling that I read. (Story was based on Norse Eddas--which is what has been ID'ed for me.)

message 9: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Lois Ehlert, maybe?

message 10: by Andria (new)

Or Jeannie Baker, who I think is Australian.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Rachel, if you do figure it out, please come back and let us know!

message 12: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 126 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Rachel--don't give up. Bump this up occassionally and sooner or later SOMEONE will find it for you. We've had things id-ed as fast as 5 minutes, and others it's taken years. I had one that was a..."

It's not David Drake's "Northworld Trilogy" that you are looking for around the Norse Eddas, is it?

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Ann - thank you. I won't give up :-) I appreciate your words of encouragement!

I'm sorry Andria but it isn't either of those authors. I do like Jeannie Baker as well but still not the one I remember I'm sorry.

I will certainly let you know if I do discover what book it was Cheryl :-)

And unfortunately it wasn't that trilogy Fresno. It was definitely a picture book I remember that much, just not much more hehe.

Thanks all :-)
Rachel

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Dec 25, 2012 10:52PM) (new)

Fresno BOb--no, that's not it. What I'm looking for is no where near that long--or that new. But thanks for the suggestion

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Rachel, are you still looking for this book?

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Yes I certainly am. Still haven't come across it in my travels :-)

message 17: by Cruth (new)

Cruth | 85 comments For some of the top Australian illustrators, it's worth checking out (author) Mem Fox. She's both popular and prodigious, with a large range of illustrators. Someone might pop.

You could also try http://www.illustratorsaustralia.com/... , but it is by no means exhaustive.

Do you recall any of the narrative content?

message 18: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments This is a stretch, but Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain: A Nandi Tale Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain A Nandi Tale by Verna Aardema has that cross of painterly and graphic pattern style of illustration.

I remember it being really popular in the 80s (It was featured on Reading Rainbow)

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Hi Cruth,

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm quite familiar with Mem Fox and it isn't her stories. I looked through the website you suggested and nothing stood out as being the one I'm looking for I'm afraid. Unfortunately I'm hopelessly unaware of the narrative content. It was read to me in primary school once or twice which is many years ago now lol. All I can picture is the bright colours, and perhaps something with trees or a forest is also a distant memory I have.

Thanks also for your suggestion Tab. Most appreciated. This one doesn't ring a bell with me, and I don't believe the story was native/indigenous at all.

Sorry I know this is a difficult one! Grateful for both your suggestions though :)

Kind wishes,
Rachel

message 20: by Andria (new)

Rachel, I just took another look at the link you provided in your first post, and the picture books of Gerald McDermott came to mind.

message 21: by Cruth (last edited Jan 08, 2014 02:55PM) (new)

Cruth | 85 comments Rachel wrote: "Hi Cruth,

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm quite familiar with Mem Fox and it isn't her stories. I looked through the website you suggested and nothing stood out as being the one I'm looking for I..."

I was thinking more one of her illustrators might pop.

Okay - you're an Aussie so you would know Mem Fox... Sorry, I didn't check your profile.

You could also try this site - Children's Bestsellers of the 20th Century http://www.best-childrens-books.com/b...

Or here for illustrators: http://www.booksillustrated.com.au/bi...

Anyway, good luck on your search! This is going to be tricky with so little to go on.

ETA there's the chance it was nominated for a CBCA: http://cbca.org.au/awardshistory.htm

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Thanks Andria! The pictures are certainly very similar and are the closest match yet. The titles don't seem familiar but I will see if I can get my hands on a few of these titles to take a closer look :)

And no worries at all Cruth. Appreciate these other sources. I will have a good browse through, fingers crossed :)

Really thankful for all your help. I know it's extremely tricky especially when I hardly have any details!

Kind wishes,
Rachel

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Thanks for your ideas Michele. They don't grab me as being the ones but the illustrator Blair Lent has a similar style. Thanks for your help :-)

message 25: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 126 comments I remember reading an australian folktsle called something like "how the birds got their colors" thst this reminds me of

message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda Hames | 1 comments Is it likely to be a Graeme Base book?

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Thanks Fresno and Linda. Similar beautiful colour illustrations in both of these but still unfortunately not "the one". Sorry I'm such a pain, I know! I'll likely come across it when I'm not even looking :)

message 28: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2359 comments Rachel wrote: Sorry I'm such a pain, I know! I'll likely come across it when I'm not even looking..."

You are not a pain, you are a challenge -- big difference :)

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments HAHA ok, that sounds much better! Thank you :)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) bump - I want to know this, too. ;)

message 31: by Angharad (new)

Angharad | 99 comments Maybe something illustrated by Bronwyn Bancroft? Stradbroke Dreamtime by Oodgeroo Nunukul Stradbroke Dreamtime looks to be one of her earliest works.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Hi, and thank you. Bronwyn's illustrations are lovely and bright but I don't remember it being aboriginal at all. Sorry :)

message 33: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 202 comments Maybe something illustrated by Etienne Delessert?

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Thanks Amanda! I'll certainly have a look at Etienne Delessert. I'm just in the middle of moving house so don't have much time on the computer at the moment lol. Will spend some more time when I get the chance. Cheers :)

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments Not Australian but New Zealand, maybe something by Peter Gossage?

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

The Earth and I are Friends, author Frank Asch?

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Wow 'The Earth and I' looks really close! This is probably published quite a few years later than the one I remember but very very similar style I think. Thank you Sue :)

Hi Lisa, thanks for your suggestion. The titles by Peter Gossage don't look familiar and seem to be more tribal. I'm pretty sure the one I remember wasn't that style. Thank you so much for everyone's thoughts though, I really appreciate it!

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Lawrence | 9 comments thought maybe the artwork could have been aboriginal so i googled images for aboriginal storybooks. hope it helps (O:

http://www.google.com/search?q=the+bu...

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Lawrence | 9 comments you did remind me of a book called the bunyip that i loved when i was younger though. will have to get myself a copy!
good luck tracking it down (O:

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Sorry Rachel! I only just stumbled across your replies, wasn't alerted to them. Thanks for doing that :) I'm pretty sure it didn't have an aboriginal theme. But I'm glad it reminded you of a book you remembered!! I did actually just find this following book that has a cover which looks very close to along the lines of what I remember but I'll have to see if I can find a copy to look inside to see if any of the pictures ring a bell - https://www.etsy.com/listing/15592543... - thanks again :)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Any luck yet?

Here's a free 'bump' for fall. Come back in a few months to bump again, ok? Otherwise, to be honest, we might conclude that this thread has been 'abandoned' and move it to the Abandoned folder.

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for your message. Haven't had any luck I'm afraid. Feel free to move it to the abandoned folder now please, I'm sure I'll come across it one day when I'm not looking for it :-)

Thanks,
Rachel

message 43: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Smith | 51 comments The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry? Although it's art is more realistic. The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry

message 44: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Smith | 51 comments Dog Heaven by Cynthia Rylant? Dog Heaven by Cynthia Rylant

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Hi Hannah,

Thanks for your ideas :-) None of these look familiar I'm sorry. Beautiful illustrations in the The Great Kapok Tree though!

Thanks again,
Rachel

message 46: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1208 comments Note about The Earth and I by Frank Asch. The earliest edition of this book was 1989 and there was a hardcover edition in 1994, so this would have been right in the time frame you mentioned. Here is a link to the 1994 edition: The Earth and I

Another possibility is Rain Forest by Helen Cowcher published in 1990 Rain Forest

Lois Ehlert has some books illustrated in that brightly colored style, many from around that same time period. You might look at Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf published 1991 or Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom from 1989

message 47: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Rachel--it's only been 2 years since you posted. Just bump this back up to the top periodically. We've found books from MUCH longer ago than 2 years. Will keep my fingers and toes crossed that someone recognizes your book.

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Hi Adele,

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. Although lovely, unfortunately not the one. Lois Ehlert was suggested earlier in the thread and is certainly very close to the type of artwork I remember! Perhaps reminds me more of Eric Carle's style however than the one I am picturing.

And ok Ann thank you I'll do that. I just feel like a nuisance saying 'no that's not it' to everyone that's trying to help lol, everyone has been so kind :)

message 49: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

If you can give a reason why the book isn't it--or what is similar to your book--it helps to narrow the search down each time. So, keep on telling us no, but tell us WHY too.

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Carr | 27 comments Thanks Ann, I'll try my best. It's probably more a case of I haven't recognised the one I remember and I'm feeling that I'll know it when I see it lol! My memory of it is very faint unfortunately so I'm sorry I'm making it so tricky :)

« previous 1