A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Gendry - Prince That Was Promised

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments This is my new crackpot theory I've decided.

Gendry seems to fit the profile in my opinion though.

Reborn admist Salt and Fire.

Indeed, he was sort of reborn when he became apprentice to Tobho Mott. Reborn admist the fire of the forges and the sweat of his brow.

Also - he's one of the few characters who could fathomably forge a sword. He has kings blood and Targ blood.

Also, he wakes dragons from stone any time he smelts ore. Turning stone to metal and metal to golden dragons.

What do you think? I actually thought it sounded like something Martin would try to pull....

Bust this theory now so I can move on please.

message 2: by Dantezgirl (new)

Dantezgirl | 195 comments LOL I like it :)

message 3: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 181 comments I'm still skeptical but you've started to bring me around :D Of course, I'll wait till I'm done with ADWD to comment. This theory has really taken a hold of you :D

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) How does he have Targ blood? I do not recall GRRM revealing his mother's identity.

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments He has it from his Father, Robert Baratheon.

Robert's grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen, the namesake of Rhaegar's mother Rhaella.

message 6: by Nermin (last edited Dec 20, 2012 01:35AM) (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 280 comments Oh, i don't know, Gendry is great and all but i don't want PTWP to be a Baratheon. I think Martin is possibly keeping him alive for something special,but i think that's not it.

message 7: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (small_god) Narmin wrote: "I think Martin is possibly keeping him alive for something"

For us to speculate. ;) (GRRM plays with his readers!)

message 8: by Yannis (new)

Yannis (johnygs) | 18 comments I think he keeps him as a suitable husband for some of the girls. He's a handsome son of king Robert and a good lad. I'd give him my daughter, I guess.
The PTWP seems to be Dany. Hey,if these 2 get married they'll be The Couple That Was Promised! :P

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) That's a pretty big stretch for him to be AA...

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Dany fits the description very well - I agree about that Yannis!

And I know a lot of people would love to Gendry and Arya together in the end. (I personally would, they're good together)

I just really like thinking up theories that are different from the norm and the obvious. One thing that turns me off about Dany being Azor Ahai is it would be too obvious and I've never seen her fight a battle yet. She has warriors to fight for her and for some reason, I always thought that AA would fight with a sword, as in, literally.

and @Maggie - I think Victarion Greyjoy is a further stretch than Gendry in all honesty, and it's one of the main theories they have have on the wiki. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gendry as a possibility before really. Why do you think its too big a stretch?

In all likelihood, Gendry is one of only two blacksmiths in the world who could forge a magical blade. Not to mention, everytime he forges a sword, he's left with a flaming hot blade until its cooled.

Sidebar: Dont they need a new blacksmith at the wall too? Wonder if he'll make his way that direction.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Another thing that may or may not be a link is Gendry joins the Brotherhood without Banners then takes up residence as the smith in the Crossroads Inn.

Check out this quote from the ASOIAF wiki which I thought was interesting:

It eventually passed into the hands of a knight who had been crippled, Long Jon Heddle, who had taken up ironworking in his old age. He forged a new sign to hang in the yard, a three-headed black dragon. After this device was affixed, the inn became known as the Clanking Dragon, for the noise the sign would make in the wind.

This is the Crossroads Inn page. It says a lot of things and that the sign is now gone, but still. Pretty strange that it was brought up at all IMO....

message 12: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) Maggie wrote: "That's a pretty big stretch for him to be AA..."

AA and TPTWP are not necessarily the same person

message 13: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) @Amber who is the other blacksmith

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Tobho Mott, Gendry's Master.

So far as I've read he's the only blacksmith who could work Valyrien steel whatsoever. He melted down and reforged Ice into Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper. Since Gendry was his apprentice, it's fathomable he has this skill as well.

message 15: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) I think AA is going to be more than 1 person. 3 dragons. Gonna need 3 riders to fight the wights. AA originally fought the battle against the wights, right? So, mayhaps if you are correct in saying TPWWP is not the same AA, it will be the lead dragon rider.
Ya know, someone who had better rise from the ashes or I will cry.

message 16: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Yah I think I might cry if a certain someone doesn't survive....

I try not think about that.

message 17: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 181 comments You mean the someone whose fate was spoiled for me before I read book 5? Yeah I'd hate it too, got high hopes from him.

message 18: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Indeed...

I almost think GRRM might just kill him off to spite us all though. :/ I'm fearful!

message 19: by *Secret*Fatty* (new)

*Secret*Fatty* (youknownothingjonsnow) | 76 comments After all the character development GRRM has done with this certain character, I would see it as just a giant waste of time if he did indeed kill him off just to spite his readers....and if he does finish this character off then GRRM will be next in line as I have already gathered my angry posse and are currently awaiting with pitchforks ready, for the outcome to this lovely characters demise :/

message 20: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 181 comments This character must live. Atleast till the last book.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I was assuming he was dead when I read it, but then Martin started saying things like THIS

message 22: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 181 comments *Secret*Fatty* wrote: "After all the character development GRRM has done with this certain character, I would see it as just a giant waste of time if he did indeed kill him off just to spite his readers....and if he does..."

Keep'em pitchforks ready. Stick GRRM with the pointy end :D

message 23: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments HA HA Rahul!

@Eryk, thanks for that, interesting read. (As usual)

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Walker (jezebel_christine) | 42 comments I certainly hope Gendry is being kept around for something super awesome.

message 25: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Well, it does seem he has some purpose and greater destiny. The only book he hasnt made an appearance in was the Dance with Dragons (right?) and their were a few missing POV's from that book and Feast for Crows, so not a huge surprise.

Anyway, they make his character even seem sorta important in the show. Just seems like it would be weird if the story doesn't round out with some sort of surprising conclusion involving his character.

Plus - from what I've read, Gendry could fit any of the 'signs' for this particular prophecy.

message 26: by Geri (new)

Geri I think Gendry & Aria will end up together. After everything they've been through, they won't care about royalty & will just build a life together.