Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince discussion

Dumbledore Dying...

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah One of the saddest things in the whole series...

C.C. I listened to this chapter today, and it seems to me that it was super obvious that Dumbledore had to die. On any hero journey, the mentor dies leaving the hero alone. Ben Kenobi did it, Mickey did it, Gandalf did it, and the Ben Kenobi rip-off in Eragon did it. So it totally made sense.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I cried my eyes out for our favorite old magical gay guy....

Kassel Garibay C.C. wrote: "I listened to this chapter today, and it seems to me that it was super obvious that Dumbledore had to die. On any hero journey, the mentor dies leaving the hero alone. Ben Kenobi did it, Mickey d..."

I agree with you, Dumbledore couldn't hold Harry's hand and lead him all the way, Harry had to do things on his own. Dumbledore death was tragic and shocking, I cried like a week, but it was necessary.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, it was necessary.

Farheen Yeah it was necessary just like Sirius'......

message 7: by A (new) - rated it 5 stars

A C.C. wrote: "I listened to this chapter today, and it seems to me that it was super obvious that Dumbledore had to die. On any hero journey, the mentor dies leaving the hero alone. Ben Kenobi did it, Mickey d..."

logical,but i didn't expect that to happen :(

Farheen To him death is just a next great adventure......

Kassel Garibay Amelia wrote: "C.C. wrote: "I listened to this chapter today, and it seems to me that it was super obvious that Dumbledore had to die. On any hero journey, the mentor dies leaving the hero alone. Ben Kenobi did..."

Exactly, I didn't expect it either. But when he died I was like "I should have expected it."

Nichola In some ways it had to happen. Harry had to take on voldemort alone. He was the chosen one. He could only really do that if Dumbledore had died. Sad and annoying but once you think it out it made sense for JKR to do that.

message 11: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Spoiler alert...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

it had to happen

Mariam Matta I was really angry!! I was about to send hate mail to JKR, but I ended up just crying :(

Aliya Omygoshh I hated Snape internally after that seen. Dumbldore was unlike any character. And loosing him was just sad but i didn't cry :/ But the meet again in deathly hallows so it's good :)

23skadoo40 Kassel wrote: "Amelia wrote: "C.C. wrote: "I listened to this chapter today, and it seems to me that it was super obvious that Dumbledore had to die. On any hero journey, the mentor dies leaving the hero alone. ..."
It surprised me upon reading it----actually dropped the book in disgust. Awful that Harry had to lose another person especially so soon after losing Sirius. So much loss; You're right, it is apart of the Hero's journey

Paula C.C. wrote: "I listened to this chapter today, and it seems to me that it was super obvious that Dumbledore had to die. On any hero journey, the mentor dies leaving the hero alone. Ben Kenobi did it, Mickey d..."

Very well said, I was about to write something similar myself. Harry needed to be on his own, Dumbledore did all he could really.

Whitney Farheen wrote: "To him death is just a next great adventure......"

<3

message 18: by Lissa13 (new) - added it

Lissa13 i really think snape should go to askaban!!!

message 19: by Leon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leon RE I wasn't TOO sad because I knew there'd still be a portrait of him in the Headmaster's office lol, but yeah it was a little shocking and sad mostly cause you didn't expect him to die. It seemed like everything was going wrong and suddenly Hogwarts felt less safe without him.

message 20: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I think it needed to happen, but it was still really sad.

message 21: by Star (new) - rated it 5 stars

Star Fouse I still mourn Dumbledor, Fred, Sirius and Dobby. :(

Dumbledor - He was a great wizard.

Fred - He was a lovable troublemaker with a goal for the greater good.

Dobby - He died a FREE ELF! \o/

message 22: by Sorrel (last edited Apr 21, 2013 08:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorrel I was so sad when both Sirius and Dumbledore died. And I cried both reading and watching about Dobby dying. God... that scene with the grave and... oh God. Tearing up now :'-(
Person who is hating on Snape- Have you read the last book yet?

message 23: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna M. Watson I kept expecting Dumbledore to come back to life...jump up and say "Just kidding!" Even when I saw the movie (after reading the book), I still expected him to open his eyes and not be dead. *sigh*

message 24: by Oum (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oum Blueturtles wrote: "One of the saddest things in the whole series..."

so true the saddest part for me was the song of the phoenix :'(

message 25: by D (new) - rated it 5 stars

D B It hurt to see had he had to die but it did make sense.It made sense that a lot of ppl in the series died.But it still didn't make Dumbledore's death any easier to swallow. It just felt like he would live forever.

Camryn Cartwright well, it was actually kind of meant to happen, even though i was very sad.

Julian Samantha wrote: "What did you think?"
Didn't see it coming, especially not from Snape hands
after that I became delusional thinking that maybe he had faked his death, i saw epilectic trees everywhere.

Until I read DH and everything was clear

message 28: by Maggie (last edited May 22, 2013 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie I was just like, "Kill Snape! Kill him! I hate him! I hate him! I hate him! I hate you JKR for doing this to me!" And then I found out *spoiler* what a good guy Snape is, and I hated him less. But still!

message 29: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Farheen wrote: "To him death is just a next great adventure......"

<3 perfect

Celine☆ Oh well this title isn't a spoiler at all, is it?

message 31: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana oh I am so sorry, I didnt create this, but I am still so sorry. I guess they should have disguised the tittle more, but why do you have it in your discussion page if you havent even read the book?

Randi Shadows joined the dance wrote: "oh I am so sorry, I didnt create this, but I am still so sorry. I guess they should have disguised the tittle more, but why do you have it in your discussion page if you havent even read the book?"

That's what I was thinking. It would help for you to not click on the last book in a series if you haven't read it yet. Even if you steer clear of the Half Blood Prince discussion board and still read the synopsis GoodReads provides, you're still in danger of spoilers.

Randi Randi wrote: "Shadows joined the dance wrote: "oh I am so sorry, I didnt create this, but I am still so sorry. I guess they should have disguised the tittle more, but why do you have it in your discussion page i..."

Whoops. Second to last book is what I meant.

Derek Buitron I think Dumbledore's death was on purpose. He let Snape kill him because he knew it would give Harry, Hermione, and Ron to fight for. Something to fuel their passion to restore peace to the wizarding world.

message 35: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Dumbledore was dying anyway from something he did while trying to defeat Voldemort and I think he felt an enormous amount of guilt for having recruited Tom Riddle from an orphanage into Hogwarts. If not for that, Voldemort would have been just a minor villain in the magical world.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I cried SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH I'm Still Crying now!! (SNIFF,SNIFF)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I ALSO AGREE WITH BLUE TURTLES.

message 38: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna It was the one and only time I've cried with a book...

Casey I cried and had to put the book down for a few minutes before I could return to it. I reread that part several times making sure I was absorbing it correctly. Still makes me sad to read it now.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Casey wrote: "I cried and had to put the book down for a few minutes before I could return to it. I reread that part several times making sure I was absorbing it correctly. Still makes me sad to read it now." Oh god I've been there girl.

message 41: by Jena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jena Wimer I bawled my eyes out! And my mom asked " why are you crying?" And I just screamed "DUMBLEDORE!!!!!!!!"

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Jena wrote: "I bawled my eyes out! And my mom asked " why are you crying?" And I just screamed "DUMBLEDORE!!!!!!!!""

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!