The Handmaid's Tale (The Handmaid's Tale, #1) The Handmaid's Tale discussion

Nick

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ryan Who was Nick actually working for? I'd just like some clarification...I read the ending rather fast, and may have missed it.
Thanks!

M.R. Graham It never does actually confirm it, I don't think.
However, since Offred had the chance to make her tapes, and they weren't destroyed, I lean toward thinking he's one of the good guys.

Heather I read the novel twice and watched the movie. Still don't know. I agree w/ M.R. that is a good guy, but I don't think he was always one. Atwood's novels are all like this, so none of them are easy.

Bevin Kutluoglu The first time I read it (in the 12th grade), I was convinced that he was one of the bad guys & that Offred was led off rather like Anne Frank. The teacher for that class spent a lot of time trying to convince me otherwise.

Ultimately for me, it's ended up as a glass half-full/half-empty scenario where with each reread, I interpret it differently depending on what kind of reading I'm doing.

At 17, I was infuriated by Atwood for leaving it so open, but now I am appreciative of the open ending. So many different interpretations makes for such a richer text, don't you think?

Holly I think that Nick was part of a resistance movement that had infiltrated the Republic of Gilead government at high levels.

Ryan Thanks for your input, everyone! In thinking about out, maybe it is open to interpretation for a reason..hmm..
I'd reread it again, but I need to get through a giant reading list before winter break is over D:

message 7: by Rebecca (last edited Dec 26, 2012 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca Barrow Atwood is a very intelligent writer - I can't imagine for one second that there was anything unintentional about the ambiguity.

On another note - is the film any good? I love the book, but fear the film!

Ryan Rebecca wrote: "Atwood is a very intelligent writer - I can't imagine for one second that there was anything unintnetional about the ambiguity.

On another note - is the film any good? I love the book, but fea..."

I've been dying to see the film! Let me know how it is if/when you see it!

Bevin Kutluoglu I remember seeing the film closer to the time I first read the book -- I was probably about 17 or 18 & still coming to grips with the fact that films & books rarely correlate. However, I remember liking this one. I may revisit it over the holidays (nothing says Christmas like dystopian films? Ha ha); if I do, I'll let you know.

message 10: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Bevin wrote: "I remember seeing the film closer to the time I first read the book -- I was probably about 17 or 18 & still coming to grips with the fact that films & books rarely correlate. However, I remember l..."

Awesome! Thanks! :)

Ramona Ryan wrote: "Who was Nick actually working for? I'd just like some clarification...I read the ending rather fast, and may have missed it.
Thanks!"

Nick was dfinitely one of the good guys. The film version makes it clear that he was part of the rebellion attempting to topple the existing oppresive regime.

message 12: by D.L. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.L. Christopher Been a while since I read it - but if memory serves the final line is 'step out of the darkness and into the light,' or something similar (before the epilogue I mean), I always saw this as being a definite implication that she was escaping the Republic and would agree, therefore, with those on the 'Nick as good guy' side. Took me a while to get my head around as a 16 year old, but I still think about it and have reread it fairly regularly almost as many years later.