What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Slow Moon
This topic is about The Slow Moon
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > Book about a teenager killed in the woods (I think) [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I only read this a few years ago, and would guess the book itself is not much older than that. No more than ten years, at any rate.

It's an adult novel, though it's about teenagers.

I think it takes place in winter and starts at a party. A couple leaves (goes into the woods behind the house?) to be alone.

The end result is the girl being murdered and, naturally, the boy being the main suspect.

All of this is hazy, and might not be entirely accurate. I think the book is mainly about the boy. He (and maybe another boy, his friend?) are the main characters. It's possibly mostly about his family trying to cope with him being arrested, possibly falsely, for murder.

I know this is hardly anything to go off of, but I'll hope for the best!

message 2: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Sounds a little bit like Fragile

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I certainly see the similarities, though I don't think it's the same book, unfortunately.

message 4: by Andria (new)

I kept thinking this reminded me of a movie and I finally remembered which one, "Before and After." I checked and it was a book first, Before and After: A Novel so maybe that's it?

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Did this book have supernatural elements?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Andria wrote: "I kept thinking this reminded me of a movie and I finally remembered which one, "Before and After." I checked and it was a book first, Before and After: A Novel so maybe that's it?"

That also seems strikingly similar. The only thing that's making me unsure is that I remember a party scene in the beginning, a very typical high school house party, and none of the books I've looked at seem to have that. Of course, that could easily be me misremembering.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "Did this book have supernatural elements?"

No, nothing supernatural. I think it was a mystery novel, or at least standard fiction with mystery elements.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I've had it suggested that the book might be The Pact by Jodi Picoult,and the synopsis sounds very familiar. As do the couple of books suggested here. I think I'm at the point where I need to actually start reading these books if I want to know for sure which is the right one. I call this mostly solved though! Thank you guys for your help!

message 9: by Andria (last edited Dec 21, 2012 10:22AM) (new)

Chelsea, I thought it kind of sounded like The Pact too. I'm not sure why I mentally ruled it out, but it was the first book I thought of when I read your first post.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Andria wrote: "Chelsea, I thought it kind of sounded like The Pact too. I'm not sure why I mentally ruled it out, but it was the first book I thought of when I read your first post."

If that was your first instinct too then I have even higher hoped that it's the book I'm looking for! Fingers are crossed...

message 11: by Andria (new)

Have you been able to find a copy of The Pact and confirm if that's your book? Cause if not, I just came across this one: The Slow Moon. It starts with a high school party and two kids who sneak out into the woods....almost exactly what you described, only the girl doesn't die. She is attacked and left unconscious and the boy is blamed. Just thought I'd add it to the list of "maybes"

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Andria wrote: "Have you been able to find a copy of The Pact and confirm if that's your book? Cause if not, I just came across this one: The Slow Moon. It starts with a high school party and two kids who sneak..."

This is so old by now, but for some reason I never got a notification when you left this comment, and I only found it because I was bored and started clicking around. But The Slow Moon is absolutely it!!!

After reading comments on here I was thinking the book I was looking for was The Pact. I finally got around to reading it about a month ago and could tell right away it wasn't the right book. I sort of figured I'd never find the right book.

Then, a few weeks later, I saw your comment. Just reading the description of the book, I am a hundred percent positive it's the right one. So thank you so much!!!!