Cannonball Readers discussion

Who's signing up for Cannonball Read FIVE?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (mswas) | 58 comments Mod
I'm opening registration for Cannonball Read 5 tomorrow when I post Malin's review. Would anyone like to be a guinea pig and go through the sign up process now?

Here's the registration page link: http://www.surveys-engine.com/survey-...

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (narfna) | 37 comments Hey, I'll be a guinea pig. They make funny noises.

message 3: by Bonnie (new)

How did it go, Ashley? I saw that you got in successfully and created a draft. Any changes needed in the registration form or other places? Also please wait to post your review until Jan 1.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (narfna) | 37 comments Everything went super smooth! And don't worry, I will. I haven't even started the book. I'm just OCD and know exactly what my first ten books of the year are going to be. NERRRRD.

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Not Nerd - CANNNNOOOONNNBALLLLERRRR!

message 6: by Kara (last edited Dec 20, 2012 03:24PM) (new)

Kara Horgan (scootsa1000) | 5 comments Just signed up. Easy-peasy. I also have a stack of the first 5 books I'm going to read, they're just sitting there and patiently waiting for cbr5 to start.

message 7: by Peffy (new)

Peffy I signed up too! I have a list of like 15 books already, because I went over my bookshelves and made a list of all the books I bought and then never read. :/

YOU'RE GETTING READ NOW, BOOKS. How do you like THEM apples?!

message 8: by Bonnie (new)

Woohoo!!

message 9: by MP (new)

MP | 1 comments I'm really looking forward to this. I've got a looong list of books to read. I just need to finish the one I'm reading now first, I ran out of steam after I completed CBR4...

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 9 comments Signed up!

message 11: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Theyellowdart | 1 comments Re: the reviews...do we have to do them? Can I be a silent reader, as I write reviews for HotInk, work full time, and volunteer...I have very little energy or brain power left after that... :(

message 12: by Bonnie (new)

For the book to officially count towards your CBR5 goal (and the group total), yes you do have to do them. But you can still always mark books as read on Goodreads and star them or whatever here.

message 13: by Malin (new)

Malin (maline) | 17 comments I actually have enough unread books on my Reader already to complete a double Cannonball and then some next year. Then there's my long list of books that I'm looking forward to in 2013 to factor in. As always, I don't think the reading will be the problem, it's the reviews that frequently become a chore.

message 14: by Tyburn (new)

Tyburn (tyburnblossom) | 1 comments The reviews are always where I fall down. However, I didn't sign up for CBR4, and finally managed to read all the books. If I can somehow keep up the reading and actually write the reviews this time around, I'll be golden.

message 15: by Bonnie (new)

The best advice is to just write the review right away. It is so true.

message 16: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 9 comments Bonnie (aka mswas) wrote: "The best advice is to just write the review right away. It is so true."

Oh man, YES. When you get behind, it can seem insurmountable.

message 17: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Jaffe | 1 comments I'm in. So excited - it's my first cannonball!

message 18: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (baxlala) | 2 comments I second the writing of reviews right away! That's where I failed, I think...once I had five or so books to review, I just kept putting it off. But it's so hard not to start another book even if you haven't written a review for the last one yet!

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 9 comments At one point, I was TEN behind. Madness.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 9 comments I still have a list of 36 that I'm behind, and that doesn't include the books I read on my Kindle this summer and never wrote down on the list ... Some of those go as far back as January because I didn't know what to say and I didn't want to be the only person that didn't think Bossypants was the funniest book ever.
You have your first ten picked out? I can never plan my reads ahead like that. Even when I narrow down books to a stack, and then pick one, usually by the time I'm done with that one, I'm not in the mood for any of the ones I'd almost read a few days previously.

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 9 comments No, I meant that I had read 10 books that I hadn't reviewed yet. As far as a "to-read" sort of queue, it's a mix of whatever I'm in the mood for mixed with what's been sitting here awhile and is a review copy from a publisher.

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 9 comments Oh, sorry, the ten was referring to Ashley's comment - I knew what you meant, Sara. I actually jut added some of your underrated books to my wishlist. Who knows when I'll actually get around to them, though.

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (narfna) | 37 comments Jennifer: Honestly? I have more than my first 10 picked out. I have a list (that I physically printed out) of 150 books that I typed into a word document one day. I went through my to-read shelf and picked out the 150 books I most wanted to check off the list (which still leaves me 800 that I'll have to get to eventually some other time, sigh). I HAVE A SICKNESS OF LISTMAKING.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 9 comments I could maybe pick out ten but definitely would not be able to commit to any kind of order. I have a sickness of book buying ...

message 25: by Malin (new)

Malin (maline) | 17 comments I think the most behind I've ever been on reviews was 14 books, and I once spent a day writing up 9 whole books (it was not a good day). I now try to never be more than about 3 books behind, because it's nearly impossible for me to force myself to review right after I finish a book. But it gets harder after holidays, especially. August was pretty bad this year, when I was up to two months behind for some books.

Ashley, I admire your organizational skills. I made a To Read list for CBR3, but more than half the books on that list got completely ignored by me once I was distracted by other books. It made me feel guilty, and I don't like book guilt - so now I solve the problem by not making fixed lists.

Jennifer: I should probably make some sort of promise to myself not to buy more books before I've read 20-30 or so of my many many unread books, but that's not going to happen. See above statement about book guilt.

I'm also going to be reading quite a lot of contemporary Norwegian literature this spring (both for grownups and teenagers) because of the course I'm taking at University, so won't that be fun for all of you to read about?

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (narfna) | 37 comments Jennifer: Yeah, I don't have an order. I'm definitely the same way, that I have to be in the mood to read most books. But, I figure, with 150 books to choose from, I've gotta be in the mood for at least one of them on any given day, right?

Malin: I get this weird pleasure from making lists like this and then forcing myself to complete them (I especially enjoy the part where I check the things off one by one). I'm excited to read about your Norwegian literature, but it will also probably make me mad because most of them won't be available to read in English :(

message 27: by Calvin (new)

Calvin (calvinium) I am ALL signed up! Can't wait to get started on my first Cannonball. Going for the full 52

message 28: by Lauri (new)

Lauri (lauriwatkins) | 3 comments Signed up! I did a quarter cannonball in CBR3. Last year I read over 30 books but had not signed up. This hear, I'm going for a half cannonball with reviews and all. Looking forward to it!

message 29: by Bonnie (new)

I have a 'to-read' list here on Goodreads, but that's really just a list of books people have recommended so i know what to look for at the library.

Very excited to do this thing again with new folks and veterans! yay!