Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > HELP!! I made a mistake!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grada (BoekenTrol) (last edited Dec 19, 2012 09:51AM) (new)

Grada (BoekenTrol) (boekentrol) | 17 comments I think I have made a very bad mistake....

I received a book written by the author Robert N. Munsch. When looking it up with the title, I noticed there was an author Robert Munsch and an author Robert N. Munsch, who had written the same books.

Being a librarian, I thought to do a good deed and merge the authors, useing the Robert N. Munsch to keep. (It did say, that the data for the author would be kept).
But then, when the data was merged, I saw that the profile picture of the author was gone, as was all the other information for the profile. The result is now: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

How do I undo the merge? Can I do it myself, or do I need to beg a super?
I'm very sorry for messing up. Won't happen again: learned a lot from this!

Thanks to you who helps very much!!

BoekenTrol

message 2: by Paula (last edited Dec 19, 2012 10:05AM) (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments There is no way to undo a merge, the new profile will need to have the data re added. Was the photo etc attached to the Robert N. Munsch profile or the other?

I always keep the profile with the data and then edit the author name afterwards to match what it needs to be

Are all the books correct for the author? If not then this is where more work is required if so then just need to add the detail back to the profile

I won't say we have all done it but it does happen :)

Edit: Also if you edit the author profile and the look at the librarian log, if your lucky the old profile data is still there. It was this time so I copied and pasted it back.

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Unfortunately, the empty Robert N. Munsch profile has completely overwritten the Robert Munsch profile; this isn't a change which can be undone.

Is there any chance that the old profile page for Robert Munsch is still in your browser cache? Can you pull it up and copy the information onto the profile for Robert N. Munsch?

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy_bookworm) | 76 comments Perhaps use his website to double-check certain areas... I normally keep safe & only merge books, not authors. Authors are harder to fix & as Paula said, if data is still their it is very much luck!

message 5: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Here is the Google cache of Munsch's page: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com...

Grada (BoekenTrol) (boekentrol) | 17 comments @Paula: thank you so much for helping so fast!! *Takes off virtual hat*

Like I said, I made a big mistake, have learnt a lot and won't do it again (at least not the way I did this one).
I remeber merging authors before, but then I probably did it like you wrote: keep the profile with the data and edit the name, initials or something like that.

Thanks, from a shameful BoekenTrol

Grada (BoekenTrol) (boekentrol) | 17 comments Paula wrote: "There is no way to undo a merge, the new profile will need to have the data re added. Was the photo etc attached to the Robert N. Munsch profile or the other?

I always keep the profile with the..."

I checked the books listed with the existing profile and all books listed are indeed by this author (listis on one of the pages in the front of my book). No work needed on the works listed :-)