You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Shannon from NY's High Octane Alphabet

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (last edited Mar 21, 2013 08:30AM) (new)

Shannon I'm so excited about my first challenge here! Hopefully I can get through it all! Let me know if you see any problems with my lists. :o)
1-
A: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
B: Deception Point, Dan Brown
C: The Passage, Justin Cronin
D: Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
E: Love Overboard, Janet Evanovich
F: World Without End, Ken Follett
G: Looking for Alaska, John Green
H: A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini
I: The Quiet Game, Greg Iles
J: The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible, A.J. Jacobs
K: 77 Shadow Street, Dean Koontz
L: Happy Accidents, Jane Lynch
M: A Dance With Dragons, George R.R. Martin
N: Lucifer's Hammer, Larry Niven
O: The Healing, Jonathan Odell
P: The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath
Q: Every Last One, Anna Quindlen
R: The Casual Vacancy, J.K. Rowling
S: Earth Abides, George R. Stewart
T: The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
U: Rabbit, Run, John Updike
V: Slaughterhouse-Five, Kurt Vonnegut
W: Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman
X: The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices, Xinran
Y: A Woman in Jerusalem, Abraham B. Yehoshua
Z: What's Left of Me, Kat Zhang

2-
a: The Alchemist
b: Big Girl Small
c: City of Bones
d: Delirium
e: 11/22/63 - I'm not sure if this one will count?
f: Fall of Giants
g: Girl, Interrupted
h: Home Front
i: Into the Wild
j: Jane Eyre
k: The Kite Runner
l: The Looking Glass Wars
m: A Million Little Pieces
n: The Night Circus
o: Once Was Lost
p: The Paris Wife
q: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
r: Run
s: Sarah's Key
t: The Tiger's Wife
u: Under the Dome
v: Vanishing Acts
w: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
x: Xanadu
y: The Year of Magical Thinking
z: The Zookeeper's Wife

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Shannon - you seem to have omitted Z off the author surname round. Nice try, but I think we'd notice >;-)
Some interesting books on there though, be good to see what you think of them.

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments Great looking lists, Shannon. I love how the newcomers to our group are diving in and making themselves at home!

11/22/63 will fit as E, so you are okay there. Only thing missing is a Z author as Helen noticed.

I read Lucifer's Hammer years ago when we were watching the Hale-Bopp comet. This book was being tooted as slightly prophetic. I enjoyed the read.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Oops! Thanks for pointing that out
I have a Z: What's Left of Me
This was my second attempt at this post; I had almost finished the first one and somehow deleted the entire thing. Hair pulling and twitching ensued.

My only qualm with this challenge is the seventh round. I don't know that I have a favorite genre. Unless I'm allowed use "fiction"? *Hopeful puppy dog face*

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments Shannon wrote: "Oops! Thanks for pointing that out
I have a Z: What's Left of Me
This was my second attempt at this post; I had almost finished the first one and somehow deleted the entire thing. Hair pulling and ..."

I think we've all done the "lost entry" hair pulling thing.

Fiction? Hmmm... I think it needs to be more specific. Contemporaty fiction, historical fiction, etc.

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I didn't think it was going to be that easy, but I had to try.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments Shannon wrote: "I didn't think it was going to be that easy, but I had to try."

Sorry but you know what they say! No pain, no gain.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

message 9: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Shannon wrote: "Finished Pride and Prejudice now on to Deception Point"

You are on a roll, Shannon!

message 10: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3606 comments Great lists, Shannon. I have read 4 books from your lists and liked them all. You're doing great.

message 11: by Shannon (last edited Jan 09, 2013 04:47PM) (new)

Shannon Finished Deception Point by Dan Brown It was good... kind of like an action movie in print. I've started The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin . This one was on my Kindle recommendation list. I'm only on page 40 but I'm having trouble getting in to it, which worries me because it looks like it's over 700 pages. It'll be a long one if I don't enjoy it :/ Has anyone read this book?

message 12: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Hi, Shannon! I read The Passage a couple of years ago. I liked it! I can't remember how it started or if it was difficult to get in to. I gave it 4 stars. Good luck!

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments You're doing great to have two books done already. I haven't read The Passage yet. I have it on my wishlist.

message 14: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 228 comments I read the Passage this past summer. I had a really hard time getting into it, and then had a hard time getting into it again when they had a major shift in perspectives (You'll know when you're there) but I was really glad that I plowed through and kept going. I'm now really looking forward to the next in the series.

If you like post apocalyptic fiction or zombie fiction, I think you'll like this if you hang in there.

message 15: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Oh, I'm glad to hear that you guys liked it. It might just be that I'm overly tired. Who needs sleep when there's a good book to read?? :)

I like the apocalyptic stuff. I was all excited the other day when I saw they made a movie out of World War Z An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks Now I'm kind of disappointed that it's so far down on my challenge list. I really would rather read the book first... maybe I'll manage to make it that far before it's out of theaters

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Finished The Passage and Great Expectations. I haven't been reading as much as I'd like lately. I'd better get a move on.

message 17: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Congrats on finishing The Passage Shannon! It's certainly not a quick nor easy read, but I really liked it. How did you find it?

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon It took a little while to get into The Passage but after I did I enjoyed it. In the beginning I thought it was going to be something like the A Game of Thrones series (which I love), where all your favorite characters die or have horrible things happen to them. I didn't realize going into it that it would be a trilogy. I'll definitely be reading the others. Maybe I can find a way of working the second one into my alphabet challenge.

message 19: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Shannon wrote: I like the apocalyptic stuff. I was all excited the other day when I saw they made a movie out of World War Z. Now I'm kind of disappointed that it's so far down on my challenge list. I really would rather read the book first... maybe I'll manage to make it that far before it's out of theaters."

Don't worry about reading the book first. The story has been completely changed. Instead of interviews with survivors, now it's A U.N. employee is racing against time and fate, as he travels the world trying to stop the outbreak of a deadly Zombie pandemic.

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon jaxnsmom wrote: "Shannon wrote: I like the apocalyptic stuff. I was all excited the other day when I saw they made a movie out of World War Z. Now I'm kind of disappointed that it's so far down on my challenge lis..."

I probably shouldn't read the book first if that's the case. It will only irritate me if they stray significantly from the book. Or maybe I'll just forgo the movie altogether. :/

message 21: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I'm looking at it as two different stories with the same title :)

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon So, I was planning on starting my "E" tomorrow: The Memory Keeper's Daughter, but I'm beginning to rethink this choice because of a lot of negative reviews. Any thoughts on this?

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments Our bookclub read it and most of us enjoyed it. I don't remember it in detail, just that the doctor's actions at the beginning were dispicable, and you start off with an unlikeable character.

It seems to be one of those "marmite" books. You either like it or you don't.

message 24: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Hmm. Well I think I'm going to switch to a Janet Evanovich book that I've had laying around on my shelf. I need to start getting through the pile of unread books I have and move them along. I'll probably still pick up The Memory Keeper's Daughter tomorrow and just add it in to one of the other lists.

When you say "marmite" are you referring to that vegetable/yeast spread they eat in Britain?

message 25: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments She is. The inferior version of Vegemite.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

The reference is to the yeast spread (high in vitamin B). It comes with a marketing slogan of "love it or hate it". It divides opinion, and usually quite vociferously. I often use it to describe books that inspire strong opinions at both ends of the scale, as opposed to those that a broadly liked or disliked. They're marmite books.

Ignore Rusalka, she knows not of what she speaks. >;-)

message 27: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments lol

message 28: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I had vegemite on toast for breakfast this morning. Delicious!

Hehe.

message 29: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I quite liked The Memory Keeper's Daughter - it's certainly not a feel good story but it was certainly a page turner.

message 30: by Shannon (last edited Feb 07, 2013 10:03AM) (new)

Shannon Rusalka wrote: "She is. The inferior version of Vegemite."
I don't believe I've seen either of them sold in my area. It doesn't sound too appetizing and I'll probably stick with peanut butter on my toast. (hey it has protein...)

message 31: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Kat wrote: "I quite liked The Memory Keeper's Daughter - it's certainly not a feel good story but it was certainly a page turner."
I don't have any problems with it not being a feel good story. The reviews that had me questioning it tended to say something along the lines of Edwards focusing on petty things and blowing them up into big unrealistic dramas. Did you get any sense of this?
Either way I probably will still read it whether for the ABC challenge or just because, but I'll probably try to read it for free instead of running to the book store for it today.

message 32: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Shannon wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "She is. The inferior version of Vegemite."
I don't believe I've seen either of them sold in my area. It doesn't sound too appetizing and I'll probably stick with peanut butter on m..."

Shannon, I am with you. LOL! No marmite for me either!
I love your list of books! And you have made great progress! Kudos to you!! ; )

message 33: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Haven't been on in a bit. I've finished World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth, #2) by Ken Follett , which was fantastic. I love Ken Follett and the follow up to The Pillars of the Earth (The Pillars of the Earth, #1) by Ken Follett (one of my favorites) was great.
I also finished Looking for Alaska by John Green . This was alright for me. Maybe it would have been better, but I had picked it up at an annual book sale thinking it was Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer and was really looking forward to reading it. Haha. That's what I get for not reading the back cover first!

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments Good to see you posting Shannon! You've done some great reading.

message 35: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini . It was a page turner and I finished it quickly. Now reading The Quiet Game