You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Debra's I'm So Lame Low Octane Report

Comments Showing 1-50 of 163 (163 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Debra (last edited Nov 16, 2013 12:12AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I think I'm crazy to try this. Another challenge designed to drive me bonkers.

message 2: by Jane Reads (new)

Jane Reads I think that is Meany's evil plan - making everyone bonkers.

message 3: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Exactly!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Jane in SC wrote: "I think that is Meany's evil plan - making everyone bonkers."
Should that not be making us all as bonkers as she is? Said with love.

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51010 comments Jane in SC wrote: "I think that is Meany's evil plan - making everyone bonkers."

I don't like to be alone, so I happily invite everyone to join me. :)

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51010 comments And then I read Helen's response. LOL!

message 7: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments lol

message 8: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments I can hear the manic cackling all the way in SE England!

message 9: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Don't go bonkers, Debra! Just have a glass of wine and adopt a devil may care attitude! It works wonders! LOL!

message 10: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I'm going to try that, Connie!

message 11: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8286 comments I want to know if you think you're crazy for signing up for the high octane challenge, OR, is this challenge getting you on a crazy high? Oh, wait, you'll have to get high (medical marijuana) to complete the challenge!

message 12: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments lol, I'm crazy for signing up for this! If I got high, I'd never get any reading done - I'd be sleeping more than reading!

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51010 comments Debra wrote: "lol, I'm crazy for signing up for this! If I got high, I'd never get any reading done - I'd be sleeping more than reading!"

And you know that... how? LOL!

message 14: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jan 02, 2013 07:56AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Oh, mercy, this is getting to be a very sticky conversation. ROFL

message 15: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Well.... back in my younger, wilder days....

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51010 comments Far out and groovy!! :)

message 17: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Ok! I've finished the first 2 books!

Pressure Drop by Peter Abrahams

Elsewhere by William Peter Blatty

Now I'm reading a non-alphabet book. Trying not to stress about this challenge like I've been known to in the not-so-distant past!

message 18: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Well, just look at you go girl! WOW!

message 19: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Great job, Debra! As usual, you are amazing! I haven't started any books for the alphabet challenge but I hope to soon!

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51010 comments This is a stress free challenge!

I was reading Goodread's email with my friends' updates this morning and there was a very yellow book on one of them. I had to wonder how long it would be before the effect of the rainbow challenge dies. LOL!

message 21: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3615 comments Debra, you're doing great!

message 22: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Both books were fast reads; Pressure Drop because it was so well-written and suspenseful, and Elsewhere because it was so short and so bad I wanted to get it over with.

message 23: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jan 06, 2013 03:48AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Well, it must feel great to have two down! You are on the way to Z! : )

Leaving the rest of us in the dust. lol

Aaaah, yes! Janice. Rainbow withdrawal. I do believe we all are experiencing these same symptoms of trying to hoard books according to colors of covers and then realizing it no longer applies. A sickness! Indeed! LOL

I am liking this challenge because it is stress free! Do your own thing! Like the hippies! LOL

message 24: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Indeed!

message 25: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments 3rd book down

Blood Work by Michael Connelly

message 26: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Book 4 was AMAZING! I can't believe I read it in 2 days. It's huge. Even though it was above my intellect level in places, I still managed to get through it in record time.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

message 27: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Debra wrote: "Book 4 was AMAZING! I can't believe I read it in 2 days. It's huge. Even though it was above my intellect level in places, I still managed to get through it in record time.

House of Leaves by M..."

I've been wanting to read that one for ages! Maybe I can make it my "D" book! You have inspired me!

message 28: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Go girl! You are on a roll! WoooHeee! : )

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51010 comments Debra wrote: "Book 4 was AMAZING! I can't believe I read it in 2 days. It's huge. Even though it was above my intellect level in places, I still managed to get through it in record time.

House of Leaves by M..."

I have this book on my bookshelf and will read it "someday". I think I'm a little intimidated by it.

message 30: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments It IS a bit intimidating. It's a mind-bender!

message 31: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Next book finished:

The Dark Country by Dennis Etchison

message 32: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10473 comments Wow, I haven't even started!

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51010 comments Debra wrote: "It IS a bit intimidating. It's a mind-bender!"

I may have to replace my current "H" book with House of Leaves, or read it for the Feb Toppler. Hmm... decisions, decisions!

message 34: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Janice: There IS a love story in House of Leaves.

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51010 comments And it's horror. I think there was an option for horror in the tasks.

message 36: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Yep!

message 37: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8286 comments Almeta wrote: "Wow, I haven't even started!"

Oh thank goodness. I was beginning to think I was the only one!

Debra - You are going much too fast! Slow down so the rest of us can catch up, well that won't happen, how about enough so we can see your dust? You are really kicking book butt!

message 38: by Debra (last edited Jan 12, 2013 08:38AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I'm trying to get to W before the end of Feb, as Infinite Jest is a group read in my Books Stephen King Recommends group and I've been too tired to tackle it, plus felt pressured to finish rainbow books. THEN, I'll relax. Plus, I don't think I'll have any alphabet books to read during the Feb toppler, so I need to get as far ahead as I can. I AM reading non-alphabet books in between as a small effort to read what I want, not always what I feel I must!

message 39: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Good idea, Deborah! I decided to purchase an e version. I thought it may be easier to read as an ebook due to the vocabulary. Hmmmmmm.....maybe I, too, can make it to W before the end of February?

message 40: by Debra (new)

message 41: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Debra, since you were so focused on organizing your options, I want to follow your progress. Let us know how you like The Big Over Easy. I haven't read Fforde before.

message 42: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments It was my first Fforde book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a good mystery, charming, and clever. I highly recommend it!

message 43: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Good to know!

message 44: by Debra (last edited Jan 14, 2013 07:37PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman

This is my 2nd book by this author. Her prose is awesome!

message 45: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Debra wrote: "The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman

This is my 2nd book by this author. Her prose is awesome!"

I read this book several years ago and loved it. Then I HAD to read all of her books. I ended up liking this one best, but I think that was probably because I read it first.

message 46: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I'm probably going to end up reading ALL her books, too! I just ordered another from the library; one she wrote under her pseudonym Juliet Dark. My library has it listed under Dark, but GR has it listed under Goodman. It's The Demon Lover. Sounds sexy and I might save it for the toppler.

message 47: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jan 15, 2013 04:16AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments It DOES sound sexy! I am having a problem wanting to read a couple of books NOW and keep them for the toppler. What a dilemma! : )

It seems you and I are usually the two early birds online. ; )
How are you?

message 48: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I'm having the same problem with books for the toppler. I have 3 definite ones picked out because they make a spine poem. Otherwise, I have several other potentials.

I'm not always up this early, but sometimes I have trouble sleeping. Today is one of those days. I'm feeling fine, generally. Just still very fatigued and not looking forward to 3 weeks of radiation, which I hear will just wear me out more. But heck, I'm cancer free and that makes me very happy!

How are you?

message 49: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Being so grateful to be cancer free, I understand how you try to overlook the other things; however, those side effects are important. Not being able to sleep well really takes its toll. I am hoping the radiation won't be too bad. No doubt about it-you will overcome it with a smile on your pretty face! ; )

I am great thanks. It is cold here today...sleeting and icy rain. We don't like that at all because we aren't equipped to handle these sorts of weather problems. I just pray for no electrical outages! We have a fireplace, but with these high cathedral ceilings, a fireplace won't help much unless you sit directly in front of it. Haha!

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51010 comments Debra wrote: "The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman

This is my 2nd book by this author. Her prose is awesome!"

This book looks very interesting. Another one for my wishlist. :)

« previous 1 3 4