UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Thank you to good reads

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments I joined these forums about 6 months ago and would just like to say thankyou to the support, fun conversations and recommendations I have had.

I have to sya in the last year my reading scope has increased (and it was fairly wide before). I have found I like Steampunk, got back into Historical Romance, discovered some decent erotica books, ventured into Paranormal Romance and found a goodly number of books lined up to read.

I have also made some new friends and discovered a lot of books I probably would never have found on my own, both through here and various facebook and google groups.

Hopefully next year my second book will be out, and I will get to read some more lovely stories by the exellent authors here.

One last thing, I would like to say I was very proud to be allowed to participate in the Splendid Salmagundi and when I read the other stories I was moved to tears in some cases. I will certainly be reading that one more than once. Thank you again to everyone who was involved and I hope to be allowed to contibute and to read future offerings.

Happy Christmas!

message 2: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments 'Tis what we are here for and I doubt you would find any of us who feel differently.

Happy Holidays y'all.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I'm glad you like it here Alexandra, the group is the sum of its members and our members add up to something special. I contribute by keeping quiet mostly :)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Aww Simon - we need more of your unique sense of humour.

message 5: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Hear hear! I love Simon (Don't tell Mr Ignite!)
It's a very supportive place and it's what we make it. If you want to be supported, you support others. It's my second home!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments This group has kept me going and supported me over a very tough year and I have made many lovely friends through it. Love you guys...

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Aw!!! I love you all too. Have helped me through so much this year! And unfortunately may have to help me through some more in the not too distant.
Anyway, I owe so much to you all. I have really made some true friendships that will last forever. Looking forward to meeting more of you over the next few months.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments See you in 11 days Emma!

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2997 comments Yeah, the Goodreads peeps are a good lot.

Modmins, and normal 'uns included!

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "See you in 11 days Emma!"

Yay!!!! I am so looking forward to that day! Am gonna see if I can get New Years Eve off so I don't have to rush home that night

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yes I think our little corner of the universe is rather special.

I'm proud to play my small part in it.

:D

message 12: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Conyngham | 1375 comments Hear, hear, and a raised glass of mulled wine to all that! Thanks to everyone here - always something to laugh over or admire.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Cheers from me too. It's not been the best of years but I always feel at home here :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Group hug everyone!!

This is my favourite forum! It's the only one that I spend any length of time in now. Mutually supportive, but can disagree about things in a civilised manner without resorting to mudslinging!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments And thankfully the custard wrestling has abated...

Oh jeez. What have I said?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments CUSTARD!!!!!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh frig

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments You're lucky I didn't post the banana pudding one!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yeah I feel lucky.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I think I should go to bed before I completely destroy this thread!

message 22: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (steverobinson) | 2930 comments Great thread, Alexandra. I'm sure you've voiced the thoughts of so many people here.

I'd like to add my thanks. As anyone from the early days will know, I feel that this group helped to launch my writing career and set it off on the right track. Wherever that now leads, you will always be a part of the journey. I've made real friends, even though I've never met you. Three cheers to you all - and then some. :o)

message 23: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Yep we all feel how you feel Alexandra :)

message 24: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments Alexandra wrote: "I joined these forums about 6 months ago and would just like to say thankyou to the support, fun conversations and recommendations I have had.

I have to sya in the last year my reading scope has i..."

I take full credit for the success of this forum :)

message 25: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments Hehehe

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments This is a great group to belong to. Such a lovely bunch of people and always there for you with support and advice when you need it.
Although I've never met any of you I count you all as good friends and I never feel alone anymore. We share good times and bad times, laughter and tears...oh and sometimes we talk about books lol!

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21828 comments Just to say it is a nice group, supportive and fun. What better combination can we have?

message 28: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Jim wrote: "Just to say it is a nice group, supportive and fun. What better combination can we have?"

You forgot the beer and pizzas! - Will can bring those!

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21828 comments Ignite wrote: "Jim wrote: "Just to say it is a nice group, supportive and fun. What better combination can we have?"

You forgot the beer and pizzas! - Will can bring those!"

He appears to have an almost infinite supply, but could he please leave the chicken drumsticks at home

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments What about the chocolate biscuits for any dragons who may turn up?

message 31: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I'll trade pizza and biscuits for those chicken drumsticks - too many carbs for me else.

message 32: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1790 comments I love this place too, even when I'm reading more than I post :) I've discovered some great writers, and had some great chats with readers too. And yay beers!

Kay (Golden Girl) | 2286 comments I too love this forum and all the groupites,everyone is so supportive and helpful through sad times and good times and I thank you all .
Although i don't post an awful lot I do love reading all the threads,I wish you all a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2013 xx

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments We love you too Kay!

message 35: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Sinclair | 985 comments I think everyone has summed up the site very well. As an author I've found the Goodreads Gang very helpful and supportive. As a reader I've stumbled across all sorts of stuff I might not have done without this site.

Merry Christmas. Let's do it all again in 2013.

message 36: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments Lol I ventured onto the Amazon forums the other day. WOW they get snarky on there.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Alexandra!

Here. Sit down. Let me get you one of Deedee's fluffy pillows.

GL! Get the girl a warm rum.

There. That's better.

Don't venture into the zoo alone, Alexandra. They gots teef in there!

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21828 comments Patti (Festive Figgy Pudding) wrote: "Alexandra!

Here. Sit down. Let me get you one of Deedee's fluffy pillows.

GL! Get the girl a warm rum.

There. That's better.

Don't venture into the zoo alone, Alexandra. They gots teef in there!"

Amazon.com is worse than Amazon.co.uk

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments This is just such a wonderful community. We are lucky to have it, I believe. You are all fantastic and I'm proud to be a part of it all.

As for Steve, I think he is too good a writer to have to rely on one group, but I like to think that perhaps, in a small way, we have accelerated his progress. There are others here who are also excellent writers, and to you all I wish well.

As far as us readers are concerned, what can I say: some read and recommend some great books, some just join to read what us blabbermouths say, some have ended up as proofreaders. To you all, I say, we are the sum of our collective spirit. Long may it continue.

message 40: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1612 comments Amazon scares me.

Goodreads is where my friends are. I came here in the early summer and have been lucky enough to fit right in. There are some wonderful people here, some strange characters, and some I've come to know as good friends - even met one of 'em.

It is home to encouragement, to critique and to sound advice. I echo what Geoff has just said, that we are lucky to have it, and I for one feel VERY proud and honoured to be a part of it.

message 41: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I agree 100% with Andrew. I've only been here since May, and I'm still plugging away at that first book. The only people to chivvy me on were here, and consequently the only people to read and critique the first draft were also here. And they STILL want me to finish it!

There are people here who know far more than I ever will, not just when it comes to writing but also on a wide range of technical subjects, from forensics to farming and they're all very approachable. In the vernacular of today's yoof, this place is totes amazeballs. :D

I did once go onto the amazon forum; I still shudder at the memory.

message 42: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments I hate it here ... as it keeps me from writing. Then again perhaps that's a good thing! Lol

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Shaun wrote: "I hate it here ... as it keeps me from writing. Then again perhaps that's a good thing! Lol"

Enough of that talk Shaun!

I'm waiting to read the first draft of The Heist, you know.

No pressure but I will be having a week of reading time in February...

message 44: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I love you guys.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments (((((((((peanut)))))))))

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments Happy Christmas & New Year everyone!

zwani.com myspace graphic comments
Free TwitterBackgrounds.org

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Awww - this is getting very soopy... I have a little speck of sentiment stuck in my eye....

message 48: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Feeling like turning into a Teletubby and having a big huuuuuug with you guys ♥

message 49: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2997 comments You can be my Teletubby any time you want, Lorraine.

message 50: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments {{{{{{Michael}}}}}}

« previous 1