Cat's Cradle Cat's Cradle discussion

Bokononism

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mery (last edited Dec 19, 2012 12:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mery I was wondering what other people who have read the book think about this fictional religion. Do you think that its teachings could be applied in life? I am also curious whether anyone has "adopted" the religion after reading the book. I know that the segments of "The Books of Bokonon" are just a few, but nonetheless what's your opinion?

Adam Howell A religion where all the teachings are a lie. Yep, I think there's a few religions practicing that :P

Serena Brennan wrote: "Sometimes when the topic of religion comes up in casual conversation I will strike my chest thrice while claiming "busy, busy, busy.""

Haha I should read this book again, because I don't remember much about Bokononism. But I often think about the Church of Jesus Christ the Kidnapped. Sometimes I even check the inside of my coffee cup. :)

Chris Cox I think it was Vonnegut's intention that the wisdom put forth in Cat's Cradle (and all his books) should be applied in life.
His primary message was always essentially saying, "It's not that complicated - question everything, be kind to everyone in equal measure and allow yourself to enjoy being human."

He was always stupefied by how unnecessarily complex we make things, and observed that humans often do this to mask ill intentions or deception.

Merle I also think that Vonnegut intended for us to see that very often religion served to misdirect the poor from demanding change. Not quite as harsh as "opiate of the masses", but close.

message 6: by Kit (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kit Masters Apparently they found a planet that could be covered in Ice-13.
Interesting.
Ice at seven hundred degrees Celsius....

Denis Bokononism is Zen.

Shashank Mery wrote: "I was wondering what other people who have read the book think about this fictional religion. Do you think that its teachings could be applied in life? I am also curious whether anyone has "adopted..."

I would think that Bokononism is life itself. It cannot be practiced as such. It has been sometime since I read the book, but I distinctly remember feeling that the essence of the religion as Bokonon's learning in his renegade life. Everything is a lie seems to reflect on society independent of its faith. There were certain lines that hit me as being the core realities of human existence.

John It's been a while since I read Cat's Cradle as well, but even after all these years I still think that the Bokononist prayer of the last rites is one of the most beautiful and true prayers ever.

If anybody hasn't read it, google "God made mud". It's right up there with the Our Father and the Hail Mary. It may even be superior, at least for those of us who have issues with doubt...

Merle John, you hit the nail on the head. I had forgotten how puckish it was while actually being pretty profound.

Thanks for the reminder.

I.d.d Kit wrote: "Apparently they found a planet that could be covered in Ice-13.
Interesting.
Ice at seven hundred degrees Celsius...."

that's sooooo cool I was just looking up about how that ice 9 cant exist but other ice forms can. I guess the proof is in the pudding.