The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1347 comments I've read four of her books, and I'm impressed. Anyone else?

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) I really liked Faithful Place and read it twice within a year. I recently listened to the audiobook of The Likeness after reading the book a few years ago. This time around I felt there was too much rambling and not getting to the point, and it really changed my opinion of the author. I bought and read Broken Harbor when it came out and also found it took a long time to get to the point. Now I'd have to say I am not really a fan anymore. But she was charming in person.

message 3: by aprilla (new)

aprilla I bought the Rob Ryan and Cassie Maddox first book In the Woods as I like reading series books and it seemed a very popular. I haven't yet, after three attempts, been able to finish it. I just lose interest, or rather it doesn't grab me and carry me along... I'll try it again someday, in case it's just my mood, but more in the 'you bought it, you'll read it' light than any real interest in it anymore. And I'm not tempted to try another in case it's the writing style, and not my mood.

message 4: by Chip (new)

Chip Cox | 10 comments I started with Broken Harbor, moved to Faithful Place, and am now halfway through In the Woods. I like them all. She is truly a talented stylist. Compare the style in Broken Harbor to that of Faithful Place. It's as though two different authors wrote them, but they're equally well done.

message 5: by carol. (last edited Dec 23, 2012 05:54PM) (new)

carol. I'm very impressed by French. I agree with Chip that her style and character 'voice' is so complete that at times it almost seems like a different author.

I find I love her use of language. I think she does a nice job of evoking atmosphere. It even shows through a few times in Broken Harbor despite Kennedy's very absolute view of the world.

I didn't always find the 'mystery' part of the cases surprising, but she did surprise me in Broken Harbor.

I love her characterizations, the building/development and the breaking apart. Almost no one feels like a caricature or prop.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 75 comments Barbara wrote: "I really liked Faithful Place and read it twice within a year. I recently listened to the audiobook of The Likeness after reading the book a few years ago. This time around I felt there was too muc..."
I agree. I felt The Likeness was just ridiculous. Come on the premise was just silly and as you pointed out it just rambled with nothing happening. I did enjoy In the Woods and Faithful place. Still will give her one more chance.

message 7: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1347 comments Of the four French novels I've read, I liked The Likeness the least. I agree with you, Michael, that the premise wasn't believable.

***Spoiler Alert*** There's just no way that a twin - much less a random lookalike - could move in with a group as close as that one without being found out. I found myself preoccupied with that to the point of distraction while reading the novel. ***End of Spoiler Alert***

I'd say the other three novels, though, were very well written. You said it well, Carol: language, atmosphere and character development were excellent.

I would recommend reading these novels in order, even though they're not really a series. French does something interesting with her characters. A minor character in one novel becomes the narrator of the next novel. We get to see the character from the outside, and then from the inside. Very interesting approach to character development.

Tim The Enchanter | 130 comments Tana French is my current favorite author. Her characters are amongst the best developed in any novel that I have read. Her books will not be for every mystery/police procedural fan as the mystery is secondary to the characters.

Her writing style is beautiful and wrapped in emotion. Even ridiculous storylines, i.e. The Likeness, do not dampen her superb character driven story.

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela (glamourass1) | 20 comments It is so crazy how there are so many different views on her books. I have all 4 of her books and have not started to read them yet. I have a big pet peeve about reading series out of order (I get lost and confused too easy). So I set myself up with each of her books so I can go from beginning to end.

message 10: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments into the woods is the worst book i read this year i won't waste my time reading another

message 11: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 536 comments Read two of French's books, In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French and Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #3) by Tana French
They were OK., but she is an author I do not seek out.
Let me know if the one we are to read is good.

message 12: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Tana French is new to me, but I've picked In The Woods as one of my must reads for 2014.

Tim The Enchanter | 130 comments I just finished Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #3) by Tana French . Amazing! Tana French is superb!

message 14: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Williams | 206 comments Tim "The Enchanter" wrote: "I just finished Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #3) by Tana French. Amazing! Tana French is superb!" This was a great read, loved Frank Mackey. Have you read any other books in series?

Tim The Enchanter | 130 comments Marianne wrote: "Tim "The Enchanter" wrote: "I just finished Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #3) by Tana French. Amazing! Tana French is superb!" This was a great read, loved Frank Mackey. Have you read any other books in series?"

I read In the Woods and The Likeness. The Likeness had an absurd plot and I would have abandoned it if it were a lesser writer. Tana French still made a spectacular story out of a crazy plot. In the Woods was also superb. The MC, Rob Ryan was probably the most interesting character of the first three. In the Woods leaves far more unanswered questions than the first so some people will not like it as much as the others.

message 16: by Paulette (new)

Paulette I enjoy her books. When does the next one come out? Does anyone know?

message 17: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Williams | 206 comments Paulette wrote: "I enjoy her books. When does the next one come out? Does anyone know?" The Secret Place Dublin Murder Squad #5 is coming out next year.

message 18: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Williams | 206 comments Tim "The Enchanter" wrote: "Marianne wrote: "Tim "The Enchanter" wrote: "I just finished Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #3) by Tana French. Amazing! Tana French is superb!" This was a great read, loved Frank Mackey. Have you read any othe..." I liked all four books, Cassie Maddox, Rob Ryan and Frank Mackey, Scorcher Kennedy are great characters. I agree, In The Woods leaves a lot of unanswered questions and needs a follow-up book.

message 19: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments maybe i shouldn't have read the 1st book 1st it was so awful

Tim The Enchanter | 130 comments Rhian, at least Read Faithful Place before writing off Tana French. It stands alone. No need to read #2 first.

message 21: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments i can't see me reading anoother to be honest

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 8125 comments Scout wrote: "Of the four French novels I've read, I liked The Likeness the least. I agree with you, Michael, that the premise wasn't believable.

***Spoiler Alert*** There's just no way that a twin - much les..."

I agree about The Likeness as well. The idea that someone could get away with that impersonation (so highly unlikely) was distracting to me too. My favorite book of hers is Faithful Place.

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments I'm having a hard time getting into her books, I read In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French , I think 2 years ago and then listened to the audio the 2nd time around - I enjoyed it more the 2nd time, not sure why though, I recently picked up The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) by Tana French on audio - but I don't think I'm going to get to it before the end of the year, I think there are 20 discs and I am working on shorter books now to meet my 2013 book challenge goal - maybe I will try to listen to it again in January. It sounds like people are on the fence about it.....

message 24: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 40 comments I have all four of her books on my iPod, but I've only listened to FAITHFUL PLACE.

message 25: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 118 comments I've read all of her books and found them all well done. The Likeness was rather implausible, but I was able to go with it. I particularly appreciated the fact that these are not strictly sequels because the books do not follow the same characters each time.