Dark Tower discussion

Reading the Dark Tower

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D. J. (new)

D. J. | 2 comments I've read The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three and half of The Wastelands, but all when I was about 14.

I'm not sure if I'll have to re-read them. Shit!!!

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 2 comments You forgot about Insomnia! To read the entire Dark Tower Opus is a dauntig task to be sure. There is just so much literature out there and so little time what with eating, breathing, working, etc...

message 3: by Scoobs (new)

Scoobs | 1 comments Alright.
It's the New Year. I'm sober. War and Peace has been put aside. I've finished what other little books I've been wanting to read for now.

I am ready to start my journey to the Tower.

What kind of game plan shall we set up?

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim (durgin19) | 6 comments I am getting ready to move on to Wizard and Glass, but since I have been listening to Frank Muller read the books incredibly well on CD, I want to check out those audio CDs from the library. Muller is absolutely awesome at narrating these books!

message 5: by Innerpeace1081 (new)

Innerpeace1081 | 2 comments Are you all planning to start over with the gunslinger and read through or is it just each person begin where they are or last were in the series? I have read the 7 in the series and am listening to bks 6 and 7 on my mp3 player. I just finished bk 5.

If we are not starting over, them I will finish these and continue on to Salem's Lot, Hearts of Atlantis, Eyes of the Dragon and the Stand.

Kim, unfortunately Frank Muller does not narrate the bks 5-7 of the DT series. I enjoy the guy who does.. George something. I have not had the pleasure of hearing the first four but will as soon as I possibly can.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim (durgin19) | 6 comments Ah! I did notice that he doesn't read the last three. However, if you say he's good, I'll give it a try. My husband has all the books, so if I can't find one on audio at the library, I can still read them, too.

message 7: by Beth (last edited Jan 12, 2008 04:55AM) (new)

Beth | 1 comments I am an avid SK fan and reader.

I have read all the DK's series and all of SK books.

I re-read Hearts of Atlantis and started a journal to log the main characters, and any reference to DT and or the KA theory.

I wanted to actually see how many of his books are intertwined because I beleive almost all of them are.

Black House is another one that should be added to your core list.

I love non work fun projects.

message 8: by D. J. (new)

D. J. | 2 comments There's no way I'm going to start over, even though its been over 10 years since I stopped reading 'The Wastelands'.

I'm just going to read up on the internet about the first two and the first 100 pages of Wastelands, refresh my memory of characters and plot/subplots, and go from there.

message 9: by Innerpeace1081 (new)

Innerpeace1081 | 2 comments D.J. have you considered getting the audiobooks for the first four to listen to instead of reading. It would be much quicker and accomplished while doing other things. Maybe you could check at your local library to see if they have them.

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim (durgin19) | 6 comments I am absolutely LOVING Wizard and Glass. It's also very refreshing to see that Stephen King can write romance as well as he writes horror. Roland and Susan are quite a tragic couple.

Since I bought the Gunslinger comics before I read this book, I went back and reread them so they actually make sense now! I am looking forward to the next series of them coming out soon.

message 11: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tj_haddock) | 9 comments i started reading the dark tower series the middle of last month. before i knew anything about this site. i finished "the wolves of the calla" last night. can't wait for my friend to get finished reading "Song of Susanahh" so i can start on it. oh well she reads slower than i do. i'm absolutely loving this series. its complex enough to keep me interested, and that takes alot.

message 12: by Theresa (last edited Mar 11, 2008 12:26AM) (new)

Theresa Williams (tito) | 1 comments i am an avid stephen king reader, when i began reading the tower series i had no idea it referenced so many of his works. i was constantly shocked falling into the familiar characters. i loved the journey and have kept all seven in the hopes of returning to it years from now.

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis Pratt | 1 comments Don't forget about "The Little Sisters of Eluria" (A prequel story about Roland on his quest that takes place before the events of "The Gunslinger." Also "Everything's Eventual," is the story of Dinky Earnshaw, who late in the series comes back to play a major role. Both are short stories that can be found in "Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales" a short story anthology by Mr. King.

message 14: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas (nkunka) Also consider "The Talisman" and "Black House," both of which occur in borderlands in Mid-World according to King. The second novel includes mention of the Crimson King.

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (nycindyloo) | 3 comments Hi gang. I've been reading the digest for awhile now and enjoy the comments. Time to join in! I just started Wolves of the Calla. I'm totally 100% hooked on this series. Honestly, I had no idea so many other books of S.King were intertwined with their characters. Nicholas - you mention The Talisman and Black House - I read those a few years ago. Now you're making me think. Hmmmmm. I can't really recall Mid-World in them. Perhaps I'll go back and read The Talisman, I wasn't so much of a fan of Black House.

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim (durgin19) | 6 comments I just found out why Muller doesn't read them! That is so sad about his accident, but I am happy to see King doing something to help him. I really missed hearing him read when I listened to the fifth book. Guidall is good, but he is just not Muller.

message 17: by Toyin (new)

Toyin (troublezen) | 1 comments For some reason i listened to a suggestion of not reading Wolves but skipping it to the next on. I started 6 but did not get all the way so I went back to 5 and have not had the chance to get passed chp2... i think deep down somewhere i dont want the journey to end and i dont want to read about incidents that are inevitable.
I just dont want the movie to come out before I am done either... and please let them (King NEEDS to be in on it) make it how it truely needs to be (not the basic or regular format...newer/fantasy/Final Fantasy format but much more upgraded!!)

message 18: by Jak (new)

Jak (blindjak) The thing is the tie in's come in lesser and greater degrees, and some times the tie ins are very spurious. For example the Eyes of the Dragon has next to nothing to do with the DT series except that the baddie is called Randle Flagg, who of course turned up in the Stand and is name checked in DT. As for the Talisman, it’s been suggested that the worlds that Jack ‘flips’ too is Midworld but having read the book several times I can find nothing to support this. Black House however, is very tied in as it deals with Breakers and the Beam.

Another to add would be From a Buick 8 in which the Low Men from Hearts in Atlantis put in an appearance and are the erstwhile owners of said Buick.

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (nycindyloo) | 3 comments Toyin - I am in a somewhat similar situation. I am in the final book and have been "reading" it for the past 4 months. The other books I went right through, but now I'm finding that I taking FOREVER to finish the final journey. I fear that finishing the book will leave me with a sense of "what now?" syndrome. For those of you who recommend skipping books? Don't skip any of it! It's all part of the journey. I say read it all...

message 20: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tj_haddock) | 9 comments honestly i don't think if they made ths series into a movie it would be worth watching because so much of the plot is internal. it isn't about the tower. its about how roland changes. and most of the things that change him are in the way he thinks and feels. which would be hard for even the best actors to correctly show

message 21: by Craig (new)

Craig | 3 comments I'm coming into this discussion having just completed book 4: Wizard and Glass.

I had previously read The Stand where Randle Flag plays a significant part and was pleased to recognize the cross-reference.

My feelings about what to read and when are:

1) Read the Dark Tower series 1-7 in order. This is how King intended the series to be delivered. I almost got lost during the Drawing of the Three (book 2) but it was all an effective part of the process. I felt I aged right along with the characters.

2) I'm glad I can recognize the character/world tie-ins, but I'll save the other stories (mentioned by others) for after I finish the Dark Tower series. A complete list/map would be helpful.

3) For anyone who's starting back up in the middle of the series (nod to D.J.), each of the books up thru book 5 has an 'argument' at the front which summarizes where the story has come to thus far--a 'cliff notes' version to get you caught up.

4) Audio CD: I borrowed some of these from a friend of mine (check your local library too) and have been listening to them while I drive, work, etc. If you play them in MP3 format, Windows MediaPlayer can speed up the playback. I usually float between 1.4x to 2x speed. No chipmunk effect, it just saves time. I grew up listening to Radio Dramas (KNX 1070 in L.A.) so I truly enjoy the 'theatre of the mind' effect.

So, I'm in. And it seems I'm in good company.

message 22: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jgrimm420) | 2 comments hey gang, i just recently started reading DT and im almost done w/ bk3. this is my 1st foray into steven king and i am hooked. i blew through the 1st 2 books, by my standards anyway, and cant wait to "move on" to bk4. a few times i found myself pushing to get through some parts, and im finding King's vernacular tough to understand sometimes, but i percevered and now i hit my stride.
i would ask of u all if u could please refrain from spoiling any of the main climaxes or twists in the forum, even though i like to hear what u all think, i just would like to get the info from the book.
im really looking foward to see if Roland and his band of wanderers ever make it to the Tower, and what awaits them there....

message 23: by F (new)

F (fraygos) | 8 comments Concerning Eyes of the Dragon, its not just the mention of Randall Flagg's name. Roland specifically mentions seeing/meeting Dennis and Thomas, who are searching for a magician named Flagg. This was mentioned somewhere in DT: book 2. It was very fleeting but still mentioned.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read the gunslinger and eyes of the dragon. Am halfway through the drawing of the three. can someone help me understand??? PLease!!

message 25: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tj_haddock) | 9 comments Don't spend too much time thinking about eyes of the dragon. While it has connections to the dark tower series it isn't actually part of it. As for the complicated story line of the dark tower. At this point it's pretty much Roland has been charged with a quest to reach the center of existence and is picking up his travel companions. The method is a bit magical but it's suppose to be. Is there a specific part that confusing you or is it the story in general?

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

i think i got it now i reread the first part to see if i missed something and i definitely did...

message 27: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (ashling51) | 6 comments Lily wrote: "I have read the gunslinger and eyes of the dragon. Am halfway through the drawing of the three. can someone help me understand??? PLease!!"

What do you need help with?

message 28: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (ashling51) | 6 comments If anyone is interested I happened to find this info on Wikipedia. It explains all the link between TDT and other King books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:D... However there is still one question I do have. I am wondering if the mansion on Dutch Hill has any relation to the Black House book. I have not read it yet. If someone could let me know I would appreciate it.

message 29: by Debra (last edited Mar 14, 2011 12:54AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 11 comments I posted this in another SK group, and thought some would like to see it here. I'm definitely NOT recommending we group-read all the books listed in my post, just thought some folks would be interested in reading this.

Well, I LOVE SK's books so much I actually re-read several of them a THIRD time because I found a Road Map of his books that have connections to the Dark Tower series. It also includes notes on how the books are connected. (If you want a copy of the Road Map and accompanying notes, please message me with email address and I will forward it along.)

Yes, folks, I actually re-read all the following books just to see how they connected to the Dark Tower books. This is not recommended to those people who aren't as fanatical as I am! lol Newcomers to Stephen King: I recommend reading just the Dark Tower series in order first, then if you are game, try reading these books/stories in the following order:

Bag of Bones
The Gunslinger (be sure it's the revised version)
The Eyes of the Dragon
The Drawing of the Three
The Stand
Rose Madder
The Waste Lands
Skeleton Crew: "The Mist"
Wizard and Glass
Salem's Lot
Wolves of the Calla
Desperation
The Regulators
Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales: "Little Sisters of Eluria"
It
Insomnia
From a Buick 8
Hearts in Atlantis: "Low Men in Yellow Coats"
The Talisman
Black House
Song of Susannah
Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales: "Everything's Eventual"
The Dark Tower

*Note: Wikipedia adds 2 others which aren’t listed above or below. They are Nightmares and Dreamscapes: “Crouch End,” and a recent novella called UR. I’d add Crouch End before Wizard and Glass, and UR would be before The Talisman. Wikipedia also lists books/stories with minor connections which aren’t listed here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_...

Whew! I think that does it!
Debra

message 30: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) I think I wil try your list. I've been wanting to start re-reading King's stuff.

message 31: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 11 comments Erica wrote: "I think I wil try your list. I've been wanting to start re-reading King's stuff."

I just emailed it to you. Let me know how it goes!

Debra

message 32: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 11 comments I just edited my roadmap list above to change the location of the book UR. Duh! Nothing comes AFTER the last book, The Dark Tower. UR should, therefore, go before The Talisman. I think the list should now be correct. Sorry for any confusion,

Debra

message 33: by F (new)

F (fraygos) | 8 comments In regards to Debra's reference to the connection list from wikipedia. Dont expect a huge connection or multiple pages related to DT. Some books devote lots of data to DT. However some are barely scant. I remember reading the connection in Rose Madder but it was practically one word. Not even a sentence and very minute in the grander DT series. I'm dubious of any real connection of 'The Talisman' at all although it seems SK got Peter Straub to get DT in 'Black House'

message 34: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 97 comments Mod
Fabian wrote: "In regards to Debra's reference to the connection list from wikipedia. Dont expect a huge connection or multiple pages related to DT. Some books devote lots of data to DT. However some are barely s..."

Does anyone else think Patrick Danville painted the painting in Rose Madder?

message 35: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) Very well could be. Anything is possible in the world of SK.

message 36: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 11 comments Fabian wrote: "In regards to Debra's reference to the connection list from wikipedia. Dont expect a huge connection or multiple pages related to DT. Some books devote lots of data to DT. However some are barely s..."

I agree that many of the connections are minor, but because I enjoy SK so much I had no trouble re-reading the books looking for the connections to The Dark Tower series.

http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/... says the following about The Talisman connection:

"The Agincourt could be the Dark Tower’s “twinner” in that universe. The ability to “flip” between worlds is used in both series."

I agree this isn't a major connection.

Deb

message 37: by F (new)

F (fraygos) | 8 comments Cool link Debra, thanks.

That link mentions eyes of the dragon about Dennis and Thomas being related to book 2 and 4. I remember book 2 where Roland briefly mentions a magician named flagg being chased by Thomas and Dennis but thats it. I don't recall them EVER being mentioned in book 4. hhhmmm

message 38: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 11 comments Hey everyone:

I've updated the notes included with the Roadmap flow-chart I obtained which outlines the books with noted connections to the Dark Tower series and which books to read before progressing through the series. I think the whole document is much more clear, and easier to read. I added a bunch more connections information, but they are spoilers, and shouldn't be read until you've completed the series. If you are interested in getting the updated document, just message me and include your email address.

Now that I have about all the noted known connections, I feel like reading the books ALL again. In fact, I like Beth's idea of keeping a journal when reading King's books, as I agree that most are connected in one way or another. That's one of the fun things about reading King's books; recognizing familar characters, places, and events. Always makes me feel like I'm solving little mysteries and that I'm in on a secret that King is sharing with me personally. He has a way about him that makes you feel like you are friends.

message 39: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso (fonz) | 1 comments Hello everyone...Im Fonz.

message 40: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) Hi

message 41: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 97 comments Mod
I'm reading NOS4A2 by Joe Hill and the doors to Mid-World are referenced as well as It, Shawshank, and The Stand.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Aimee wrote: "If anyone is interested I happened to find this info on Wikipedia. It explains all the link between TDT and other King books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:D... However the..."

I like reading it with the UNREVISED version of the Gunslinger. THEN, after the seventh, I re-read the revised version, as if that's his next loop.....

Crazy?