Pudd'nhead Wilson Pudd'nhead Wilson discussion

First Switched at Birth type book??

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamikia (new)

Tamikia Was this the first book with a Switched at Birth type of plot?

Jana Interesting question. I don't know but I really enjoyed it - had to read it in high school.

message 3: by Al (new) - rated it 5 stars

Al Mascareñas Hi Tamikia. I would suggest the story of Lord Vishnu in India, who lived about 1,500 years ago. I'm sure there are American and English stories/novels about being switched at birth, but they aren'ty coming to me right now. HMS Pinafore by Gilbert and Sullivan? Does that predate Twain? Good luck.

message 4: by Al (new) - rated it 5 stars

Al Mascareñas Hi Tamikia. I would suggest the story of Lord Vishnu in India, who lived about 1,500 years ago. I'm sure there are American and English stories/novels about being switched at birth, but they aren'ty coming to me right now. HMS Pinafore by Gilbert and Sullivan? Does that predate Twain? Good luck.

message 5: by Al (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexandra Al wrote: "Hi Tamikia. I would suggest the story of Lord Vishnu in India, who lived about 1,500 years ago. I'm sure there are American and English stories/novels about being switched at birth, but they aren't..."

You are absolutely right, Al.

HMS Pinafore - first performed 1878
Puddn'head Wilson - first published 1893.

And I agree, Sullivan's libretto is unlikely to be the first instance. After all, this is the essence of the ancient belief in changelings.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

There was a story about a rich boy and a poor boy who swapped clothes because they were amazed at how similar they looked, then someone came in before they had a chance to swap back and they had to live as each other for a short while, and they hated it. That's not really switched at birth but Pudd'nhead Wilson was based on it if I recall correctly.

Papaphilly My bet is The Corsican Brothers which was published in 1844.

Alexandra Papaphilly wrote: "My bet is The Corsican Brothers which was published in 1844."

IS that a "switched at birth" plot, Papaphilly? I thought the whole point was that they WERE brothers, but raised separately.

Papaphilly My mistake. I keep getting the novel and movies confused. I read the book 40 years ago and saw the movie 8 weeks ago. Must be age thing. My apologies.

Alexandra It's been a while since I read it too. I never saw the film - how faithful is it to the book?

Papaphilly Not very, but it is allot of fun. It is a comedy and the idea is during the French revolution, one half of a set of twins are switched so that one twin lives with the other twin.