Terminalcoffee discussion

Viewing & Listening Pleasure: > Cutie-pop Fishies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Okay, here it is! The shiny, new thread dedicated to fish. Yay!

message 2: by Susan (last edited Dec 18, 2012 04:26PM) (new)

Susan | 6406 comments This guy lives with Tony Danza. Little named him, "Man". He is funny in the way he takes his feelers and touches them to everything. Even my husband's hand when he is repositioning the plants in the tank.

Blue Gourami

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Red Gourami

This one spits water out of the top of the tank. Funny business.

message 4: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4259 comments They're related to Cichlids aren't they? They don't eat their tank buddies though .

message 5: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4259 comments Susan wrote: "Okay, here it is! The shiny, new thread dedicated to fish. Yay!"

Yay!

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Those are some fine looking fishies, Susan. Carry on.

message 7: by Susan (last edited Dec 18, 2012 04:38PM) (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I don't know that they are related but some can dwell with Cichlids. Depending on which Gouramis and which Cichlids you are choosing to inhabit the tank. There are two Blue Rams and two Bolivian Rams in the tank with the Gouramis. The Gouramis are inquisitive but never bother the Rams. The Rams are shy.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I just recently been to the Sydney Aquarium. I have a thousand fishy pictures. Oh, and a dugong.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Bolivian Ram

Not as pretty and a tiny bit more assertive.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Honey Sunset Gourami

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Yay!! I am glad you guys are liking the fish thread!

::glows::

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Gail wrote: "I just recently been to the Sydney Aquarium. I have a thousand fishy pictures. Oh, and a dugong."

They are cool!

My favorite thing about the Georgia Aquarium is the room where you can just sit and watch the big tank. Rays, sharks, whale sharks, a million colorful fish are all swiming around. It is awesome. The last time we were there, a couple got engaged in front of everyone. I cried. It was cool. :)

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments One of my favorite things about Tony Danza is that he "postures" all over the place. He hovers and flairs his fins, then does this little fin flutter. It cracks me up. I swear he is boasting about his good looks.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24150 comments Mod
I have to say....fish bore me to tears. My friends are always offering me their old aquariums when they move or upgrade or whatnot and I'm so utterly uninterested.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments You would be. You can learn quite a bit from watching fish.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Seriously, I am not lying. I have had some fish who have had huge personalities and crazy behaviors.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I did have a goldfish once and the fish seemed to take quite an interest in me, approaching the side of the bowl when I approached, staring at me. It was flattering. But it didn't make me want to get more fish. It just made me sad that, as with a bird in a cage, it's a pet that would naturally have a much bigger environment and more adventure and now was in a prison.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Depends on what kind of fish. First, any fish you purchase in most pet stores have been mass breed and have only ever lived in tight, overpopulated tanks. Living by themselves is a true luxury and a bit of a rescue. Secondly, fish ideally only occupy a certain inch per gallon space. So, if your fish is going to be a certain maximum size, they only need a certain amount of water space to live in. I feel bad for fish who are kept in tiny bowls that they will quickly out grow and have seen fish become deformed from such mistreatment.

My tanks have live plants and proper PH levels, routine water changes done properly and the gravel is vacuumed. All the fish I have owned (since I have been old enough to know better about their environments) have lived at least 10 years beyond their typical life expectancy.

message 19: by Phil (last edited Dec 18, 2012 08:17PM) (new)

Phil | 11627 comments ::considers living in susan's fish tank::

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments ::sets up lounging chair, TV and cycle path in tank for the new Phil::

message 21: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4259 comments Cichlids are great to watch.

message 22: by Susan (last edited Dec 18, 2012 08:50PM) (new)

Susan | 6406 comments They are! Thank you, Evie! Barb and LG are missing out. Not to mention studies prove watching fish swim lowers your stress.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Panda Cory Cats

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I want to do a salt water tank just to have a Mandarin Goby.

message 25: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4259 comments He looks like he'd be a bossy big note.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments They have the coolest tank set up at my favorite fish store with a few Mandarin Goby in it. They slink around in the tank with front fins fluttering like little hummingbird wings. They are pretty docile and peek around coral at me when I look in their tank.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments
Bloodfin Tetra.

One was sick before we left and was dead when we got home. :(

All of the other fish are so well behaved that he was untouched, which I have never encountered before.

message 28: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4259 comments A school of Tetra swimming in harmony, and flashing at a predator is an impressive sight.

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Yes it is.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Lestat, the striped Raphael Catfish. He lives up north, still. He is 16 years old and a total night dwelling badass.

message 31: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4259 comments

message 32: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4259 comments It took four guys to reel it in!

message 33: by Susan (last edited Jan 06, 2013 10:40AM) (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Is that Phil? (not the fish, the guy with the bike)

Heehee.

I forgot to mention my Gouramis are all of the dwarf variety. I have had the larger Gouramis but they can be...a bit naughty.

Gail, post your fishy pictures!

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily Elst (emily_elst) | 1032 comments I lost my 5 year old fantail on Friday, and I have just replaced him with three new baby fantails to keep my lonely four year old fish company.

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Awww. I am sorry to hear about your fantail. :(

But new baby fantails are cutech.

Kyle, what kind of Gourami?

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "I was being sarcastic, Susan.:)"

I should have listened to my gut.

::adds Gouramis to list of things Kyle is most likely not actually talking about::

message 37: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I thought some of you might like to see where Tony Danza lives:

message 38: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11627 comments That Tony. Always in the spotlight!

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments He was not even front and center when I took the picture. He was probably in the back of the tank, primping. He is going to be so pissed when he finds out.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments The Kribs had another batch of babies! They had the babies out for the first time this morning.

message 41: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4259 comments Susan wrote: "Is that Phil? (not the fish, the guy with the bike)

Was he near Cooma?

message 42: by Susan (last edited Jan 08, 2013 08:44PM) (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I don't know. Maybe he cycled on over to Cooma.

message 43: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11627 comments Those outfits are too similar to each other to be me & my friends. We prefer to each have our own spandex-y look.

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments No matching allowed? Do you call each other beforehand to make sure of no duplicate spandex? Do you carry spares in case of emergency?

message 45: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11627 comments We each have different likes/dislikes in clothing is all. And none of us care to look like the dreaded "tourists who tried too hard."

message 46: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

message 48: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Maybe those people aren't trying hard enough.

message 49: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11627 comments Susan left the new page blank.

GASP!

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Now that is how you enter a room, ladies and gents.

« previous 1 3