The Slash Pile discussion

Misc. discussion > Holiday plans!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R.A., Overlord (new)

R.A. Armstrong (raarmstrong) | 88 comments Mod
What have you got planned for the holidays?

My sister's coming down and we shall eat a lot of food. Maybe go swimming at the beach. And, of course, I will be watching the Doctor Who Christmas special. And playing whichever computer game my mum gets me for Christmas.

message 2: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Potatoe wrote: "What have you got planned for the holidays?

My sister's coming down and we shall eat a lot of food. Maybe go swimming at the beach. And, of course, I will be watching the Doctor Who Christmas spe..."

I haven't checked the Radio Times Christmas edition yet! I tend to watch more TV than usual over Christmas because there are good special programmes. I'm going to the seaside for the New Year; looking forward to that!

message 3: by R.A., Overlord (new)

I live at the seaside :D Which seaside are you going to?

message 4: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Cornwall - south of Falmouth. Watching flood alerts with interest! Where are you?

message 5: by R.A., Overlord (new)

On the coast of Queensland, Australia. We have all the heat and sunshine, though would often prefer we didn't. Good beach weather, though.

message 6: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments It can get a little humid there, can't it? Is it safe to go into the sea, or do you need to watch out for jellyfish? I have happy memories of swimming in the Indian Ocean in South Africa, where the sea was warm and very lively. There can be good surf in Cornwall, but the sea is so cold I'll never go in it.

We've had the wettest year on record this year (after the driest ever spring, so you can imagine how much it's rained since). The ground everywhere is now waterlogged, and we've had more downpours this last week. The water has nowhere to go but where it shouldn't - it's running off fields onto roads, and rivers are busting their banks, etc.. So there is travel chaos, with serious flood warnings for much of Cornwall.

But you know about floods in Queensland too, don't you?

message 7: by R.A., Overlord (new)

Yes, it can certainly be humid! It's quite a bit cooler this close to the ocean, though. We can get a ton of jellyfish, mostly in the summer, though they're mostly ones with a fairly mild sting. I've never been stung, but then we only moved near the beach earlier this year. I've seen the occasional blue bottle which I've heard can sting like a bitch. Anything deadly is really rare, though.

We had some crazy flooding in Brisbane last year where I used to live. Here's a picture of the flooding at the end of our street (and my dog): http://s211.beta.photobucket.com/user...

Luckily, our house was on higher ground.

You've had extreme weather too? And yet so many people still deny climate change. Try not to drown.

message 8: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Did your dog bring back an olive leaf to prove that there was some dry land nearby?? I looked up your home, shown in your GR details, on Google Maps. Love the name! It looks a little less busy than Brisbane...

message 9: by R.A., Overlord (new)

No, she only brought back the stick I threw.

It is a pretty cool name! It's Aboriginal. And yes, it is a lot less busy than Brisbane, which is nice. Lots of beach and bushland and kangaroos. The uni I was going to has kangaroos inhabiting its sports fields. You sure don't get that in most parts of Brisbane.

message 10: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Sounds great! I didn't know that cooee was Aboriginal. I remember reading the word in old Australian romances (probably by Lucy Walker) and I think it was a greeting, or a call to see if someone was there, but I hadn't realised its origins.

The wildest wildlife I've seen in England is probably deer - we have several species, not all native. On a smaller scale, I've seen badgers, foxes, and hares. Squirrels are so ubiquitous they hardly feel wild!

I'm off to dive into last-minute prep for Christmas, so Happy Christmas! Don't get sunburnt...

message 11: by R.A., Overlord (new)

Merry Christmas! Hope you have fun :)

I've heard there are wild deer around here somewhere, but I've never seen them. We have possums, but we've had possums in the roof of just about every house I've ever lived in. A found a dead sea turtle once.

We just had Christmas dinner. Delicious :)

message 12: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments I saw this and thought of you, since the author also lives in Queensland: http://www.reviewsbyjessewave.com/201...

Possums in the roof I could do without. I used to have squirrels running around and the noise is insufferable.

Happy Christmas!

message 13: by R.A., Overlord (new)

Yeah, they can be a bit noisy sometimes but usually they're fine. They're really fearless, too. Many of them will just take food from your hand.

message 14: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Well, we had a lovely holiday in Cornwall. We were right by the sea, and it was very wild and windy for the first couple of nights, with a high tide which was interesting in the middle of the night when I thought it might come into the house... It calmed down after that. The ground was waterlogged everywhere (welly boots were essential) but fortunately there was not much rain while we were there.

How was Christmas in the sun? I didn't see the Doctor Who special - was it good? (And how come you can see it straight away?)

message 15: by R.A., Overlord (new)

Sounds like you had some eventful weather, if nothing else!

Christmas in the sun has been predictably hot, but not too bad. The Doctor Who Christmas special was great, as Doctor Who always is. I think we usually get new episodes not too long after you. We had to wait until the day after Christmas to see the Christmas special.

message 16: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Potato - I hope that you're OK, and that you and your family have not been too badly affected by Tropical Cyclone Oswald. I know that you now live quite a long way north of Bundaberg, which is where we're being told that there is severe flooding, but I remember you used to live in Brisbane.

message 17: by R.A., Overlord (new)

Yeah, pretty much the entirety of Queensland got fucked in this one. We had some wild weather for a couple of days and lost internet and all phones for almost a full day. As in, in some places (including where we are) you wouldn't have even been able to call emergency services if you needed to. There's quite a bit of flooding about, but we're on high ground near the ocean so we're fine.

Thanks for worrying about me :)

message 18: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments That's bad. I find it hard to imagine a storm which covers an area that large - they're so rare in England/Britain that we remember each one by the year it occurred, and they're nothing like as intense as yours.

I'm glad you're safe!

message 19: by R.A., Overlord (new)

A storm as large as this one over there would probably swallow your entire country whole, wouldn't it?

message 20: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Yes! Everything is on a much smaller scale here. It must have blown the minds of people who went from here to Australia, once they began to realise how vast it is.

message 21: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Talking of scale, here is a really amazing photo: "Floodwaters pour into the Coral Sea near Rockhampton, Australia on Tuesday morning."—Chris Hadfield - taken from the International Space Station! It's the second photo in this set: http://boingboing.net/2013/01/29/astr...

message 22: by R.A., Overlord (new)

Hey, you can see where I live in that picture! I'm in that last dip at the top.

But yeah Australia is kind of huge, and so little of it is inhabited.

message 23: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments I thought that might be you, waving at the ISS as it went over!

message 24: by R.A., Overlord (new)

Space stations are pretty cool really.