The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life The 4-Hour Chef discussion

Live Video Chat with Timothy Ferriss

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown Join us on Monday, January 21 at 2pm ET/11 am PT for a live video chat with bestselling author Timothy Ferriss. We'll be discussing his new book, The 4-Hour Chef, as well as his previous work and life as an artist.

If you have a question for Timothy, please ask it below.

message 2: by Pedro (new)

Pedro test

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda q How do you find the 20%?

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen St. Onge I was very interested in what you wrote about learning new languages. How do I go about identifying the core vocabulary and grammar?

Edan Languagedaily.com has compiled a great list in multiple languages. For instance the link for french words: http://french.languagedaily.com/words...

message 6: by Azuama (new)

Azuama Franca Q: What are your challenges as a Writer and how do you overcome them,

message 7: by Kashif (new)

Kashif Hussain I was very interested in what you wrote about learning new languages. How do I go about identifying the core vocabulary and grammar?

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Yeh Q: It sounds like you finally wrote the book on your most passionate subject, (meta-)learning. What now? Writing on another subject using the same perspective on learning (which seems repetitive for your tastes), or are you on another thing entirely? Writing another book?

message 9: by Arin (new)

Arin Basu I took a daring step to force myself to follow the principles of four-hour workweek. Question: how to effectively delegate when you cannot "outsource"?

Chrislewismh your book does an excellent job of explaining how to use your learning methods to pick up skills that are already known by someone, but could you please comment on how to use the same methods for figuring out something that isn't already known or developing knowledge from scratch (i.e., inventing a new technology, finding a cure for a disease, solving a mystery, etc.)?

message 11: by T (new)

T Slechta Q: Many of your followers are young people (under 30) who are leaders in business, industry, the military, entrepreneurs, executives, officers & standout employees. What is the best advice you can offer for these young leaders on how to: effectively lead & manage people who are older & in many cases more experienced than you? Thanks in advance.

Olivier I just finished "4 hour chef", and I liked it a lot. Very refreshing and inspiring as usual (and I am not a cook newbie). Here are 2 suggestions for you next passions (or books): 1) KiteSurf - you live in SF, hang out with the tech croud and know how to swim - you have to try Kitesurfing. 2) Get kids asap and write a book about parenting. That would be a lot of fun to get some new perspective on this topic and would help your readers that are parents ;) What do you think of those suggestions?

Bella q: Is Kasha (buckwheat groats) a slow carb food? Love your books and whole approach to hacking life! Ditto to what Olivier wrote above....get some kids and write a parenting book!

message 14: by Harm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Harm I am in Europe. Can you just give a London time too?

Nigel Q: Tim could you elaborate on how you determine the spaced repitition for your flash cards when learning a new language? I also saw in a talk you did with Ben the Irish Polyglot that you tend to use phrases and idioms rather than single words for flash cards, where can I find idioms for multiple languages?

message 16: by Luis (new)

Luis Martínez Q: About the 4 Hour Body. It focuses on a very specific goal, for instance bodybuilding, and teaches how to achieve it. What schedule do you propose to just keep a good shape, without trying to improve, once you reach the level that you want? And also, do you follow a specific training program now? and can you describe it?

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason Pockrandt Where did the stream go? Was it over already?

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason Pockrandt Disregard. I read my time Zone wrong.

message 19: by Luis (new)

Luis Martínez Q: What was for you the most frustrating recipe to do while you were trying them yourself?

message 20: by Sabrine (new)

Sabrine I have no idea who that is

message 21: by Sabrine (new)

Sabrine Q: Haha that is fun

message 22: by Sabrine (new)

Sabrine bye bye

message 23: by Luis (new)

Luis Martínez Q: After completing the DOM part, if instead of going to the WILD I want to nail these basics, do you suggest trying to do similar dishes to these proposed, but some kind of variation or "exploration", or you really encourage people to go to the WILD?

Maika Q: What were the last 5 books you've read?

Michael where the hell can you find Harissa sauce?? haha

Michael oops, forgot the Q

Michael Q: Where can you find Harissa sauce??

message 28: by Keven (new)

Keven Q: One could say life has its ups and downs. When living boldly and tackling big challenges, how do you stay in the 'up' and forego the 'down'?

message 29: by Bayleigh(: (new)

Bayleigh(: I am so excited to watch this!

message 30: by Bayleigh(: (new)

Bayleigh(: Imma new member of GoodReads, so I am so pumped!

message 31: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Q How do you learn so much, so fast? Waiting to receive my copy of Chef and I understand that there's a section on "how to learn anything". Frankly the problem I'm running into right now is that textbook studying is dry, boring, and hard. #firstworldproblems.

message 32: by Bayleigh(: (new)

Bayleigh(: Okay then. -_-

message 33: by Harm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Harm Q What's next after 3 four hour books. There must be a 4th and final one. What it is about?

message 34: by Walter (new)

Walter Alini Q How many people involve your writing process? What's the process like?

message 35: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Harm Otten: "16-hour life" ;-)

Brendan O'Meara Q: How do you deal with the misconception of people who think what you stand for is the 'easy way out'?

message 37: by Danna (new)

Danna Just wrote my first book that is meant to empower young adults to make a difference in the world. It's called 3rd Generation and Beyond about life philosophies according to a third generation Holocaust survivor. What are your thoughts on best way to contact people in the academic world? Is email to impartial? Does everything count?

message 38: by Todd (new)

Todd Yeah!!

message 39: by Luis (new)

Luis Martínez Hi Tim!

message 40: by Annie (new)

Annie What are your books about? ...Sorry I haven't read them yet

message 41: by Richard (new)

Richard Q: How do you locate the 20% that makes 80% of the difference when the 20% isn't obvious, as in the case of the most common words when learning a language?

message 42: by Annie (new)

Annie Q: What are your books about?

message 43: by Harm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Harm Great idea Ashley Harvey. Let's propose that to him

message 44: by Ben (new)

Ben M Tim I liked your section in the 4 hour body about injury proofing and how imbalances in different muscles are the most likely cause of injuries. What do you think of a product that can help people quickly check if their muscles are in balance?

message 45: by Matt (new)

Matt D'avella q What do you do to stay motivated? I have moments when I'm completely and utterly motivated to go after my goals. Then I hit a slump. How do you barrel through those periods? (Also 4-Hour Chef is the first hard copy book I've bought in a while. I'm so glad I did. It's laid out wonderfully and will definitely be something I'll come back to when I'm finished).

message 46: by Dog (new)

Dog Q: What are your opinions on stimulant drugs like ephedrine, amphetamines, ritalin, modafinil etc. to enhance learning and productivity?

message 47: by Bayleigh(: (new)

Bayleigh(: Same here! I will be doing something and then I completely become uninterested and don't want to do it again.

message 48: by Bayleigh(: (new)

Bayleigh(: anymore*

message 49: by Bayleigh(: (new)

Bayleigh(: anymore***

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Q: How would you pitch your new book to someone who has never heard of you before? (ie - me!)

« previous 1