Douglas County Libraries RA Group discussion

eBook Readers Advisory

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 22 comments We didn't talk much yesterday about recommending ebooks to our patrons. Now that DCL hosts so many ebooks, does anyone have ideas about introducing them to DC readers?

message 2: by Lainie (new)

Lainie | 21 comments I think this will be a big challenge. I'm very used to being able to browse around with someone and make "take it home now" recommendations. Browsing digitally with someone tends to not feel the same, and it's a bit harder to "pick it up" and do a quick once over. And then there is the question of if ebook recommendation takes place with the patron on hand, or if we need to focus on how to make recommendations without being in the same place or even at the same time that the patron is browsing. Hmmm. I'll be thinking on this one some more!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 47 comments Mod
I have been thinking about this for a little while and I have a question. How much control do we exercise over our 3M and Overdrive platforms? Do we have much ability to push content or recommend books on these platforms? With tablet users being directed to Aps, we won't be able to reach people through our efforts on the webpage or PAC, I guess. It is too bad there isn't a "friend" interface through these platforms. I recommend books with some frequency to my friends on Goodreads.

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 22 comments I think Amy's on to some good thoughts. The 3M app replicates the shelves that Collection Development builds & updates regularly. Overdrive has a "featured" section on their app - but I don't know who chooses those titles or how much we could customize them. Monique is working right now on how we can better reach our patrons through mobile platforms: I'll make sure she sees your comments. Thanks!

message 5: by Sherri (last edited Jan 14, 2013 07:25PM) (new)

Sherri Laurie and Amy,
I am doing a book lovers in March at ROX that is going to focus on new authors and their debuts do you have any e-books that you can reccomend? I would love ot have some e-books on the list.

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 22 comments Sherri wrote: "Laurie and Amy,
I am doing a book lovers in March at ROX that is going to focus on new authors and their debuts do you have any e-books that you can reccomend? I would love ot have some e-books on..."

I'll keep an eye out, Sherri. So far, the popular authors Sharon is finding aren't "new". But the tricky thing is that, for lots of self-published e-books, these are the authors' firsts. Does it matter which genre, or fiction vs. non-fiction?

message 7: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Laurie wrote: "Sherri wrote: "Laurie and Amy,
I am doing a book lovers in March at ROX that is going to focus on new authors and their debuts do you have any e-books that you can reccomend? I would love ot have ..."

No I always offer a mix. There are too many fantastic non-fiction books to limit it to just fiction.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 47 comments Mod
Sherri.

I have been thinking about this, and don't have much to add just now. Have you asked Sharon Nemecheck if she has any ideas? At one point she told be that she was trying to read more of our e-collection and populate it with reviews. I don't think she does Goodreads much, so she may not have seen your post.

message 9: by Erica (last edited Mar 13, 2013 09:42AM) (new)

Erica (ekgo) | 10 comments So I've just joined Review Group here on Goodreads. I'll have to do it on my own time because I'm not going to bother getting it sanctioned as a work-time activity.
Review Group was set up by self-published authors who need their stuff reviewed but can't necessarily pay for it or do whatever people do to get reviews. The idea is that an author submits her work and other authors review it. In turn, she has to review other books in the group but can't review a book by an author who has reviewed her.
However, you don't have to be an author to sign up; they like having non-author readers who do reviews. The rules say that you HAVE to post your review on Goodreads and if the review is 3 stars or higher, you have to post it on Amazon, too. If the author needs you to post it other places, as well, she'll get in touch with you and you can work out an arrangement.
I suspect that we've got some of the books in question; they all come in ebook format I know several of these authors have uploaded to Smashwords. So I have a plan:
I will take the books I'm assigned, review them, post them to Goodreads and maybe Amazon and then if we own any of these books and if I can find them on VuFind, I will also post my review there, too.
It's not a big step and it won't get that much notice, but it is A step and that can't hurt, right?

message 10: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 22 comments Erica, what a cool idea! I've shared it with the Collection Development librarians; am going to investigate & may join the Review Group myself. Thanks so much for doing this!