WW 20s groupies discussion

Games & Challenges > Audio Book lovers ????

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana (new)

Dana (danadew18nj) Just curious if anyone else listens to all their books like I do. :)

Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫ (lindsaysingerofstories) I have gotten one audio book (Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption) and I LOVED it! I have a subscription to audible.com so I get 1 "credit" each month (so basically 1 book, and I could always purchase more) but I can't decide what to use them for. I have four saved up. Recommendations? I feel like I need to listen to books with a lot of action or facts. I think really intricate story-line details would be hard for me to follow. Any recommendations?

message 3: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (meaghan2293) | 65 comments Mod
How much is an audible subscription?

I used to listen to them when I had a commute to and from work. I'd be in the car for 90+ minutes a day. Now its under a half hour :) But I listened to both the Help and the Art of Racing in the Rain.

I've also listened to some memoirs, and like them because they are read by the author. I listened to Bossypants, which was funny because Tina Fey would throw in side comments under her breath sometimes. I also listened to a couple of Michael J Fox's books, which I really enjoyed.

message 4: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meaganandcheese) I'll go through today and make a shelf for my audiobooks I've listened to do far this year. I love them! We can listen to headphones at work, so I have them going off and on everyday. It's awesome!!

There's also an app out there for free audiobooks - mostly classics.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (sprtychick10) I have "unbroken" on my "to read" shelf. I have heard its a great book. I listen to some audiobooks when I am in the car but have never listened to books at my computer at work.

message 6: by Dana (new)

Dana (danadew18nj) Audible.com is about $15/month for 1 credit. 1 credit normally = 1 book but SOMETIMES really long long long books are 2 credits. I just changed my subscription to $22/month so I get 2 credits a month.

Everything on my list for goodreads has been audio books. I think the Audible.com is 100% worth it b/c a lot of the audiobooks are VERY expensive. Also, I just learned yesterday that you can have up to 3 phones, 3 mp3 players and 4 computers synced to your own account. Thats a TON of places you can send your books / share them with other users. (unfortunatly this requires giving our your PW and when a CC is attached to the account, you really need ot trust the person you share with. haha)

message 7: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meaganandcheese) I get all of mine for free from the library on my iPhone. It makes me think audible is too expensive!

message 8: by Dana (new)

Dana (danadew18nj) oohhhh.... How do you do that??? I just got an iPhone, so I have never been able to do any of these "smart" things until recently. My local library has the worst selections of audio books- and most of them are on CDs & they are scratched anyway, so not worth getting 3/4 into a book then not being able to read the rest.. uhg.

message 9: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meaganandcheese) My library has a free app in the apple store - I can use it to renew things, as well as get ebooks and audio books. I has to also download the Overdrive media app, also free.

message 10: by Dana (new)

Dana (danadew18nj) hmm, OK Thanks Meagan!! Looks like I will be taking a trip to the local library and see what's up :)

message 11: by Erika (new)

Erika (loveforpitbulls) | 21 comments I also have audible, Alex (bacon.donut) turned me onto it when I asked about audiobooks on the boards. I just got the 2 books/month deal and it is great. I like it because I can keep the books. My dad can also listen to them, too which is nice. And I really like that most of the books on audible I can listen to in my car on way to work and then when I get home I can turn on my kindle and read where I left off listening - it's awesome!

message 12: by Dana (new)

Dana (danadew18nj) Does anyone else have any other suggestions of free / cheap audio books? I went to my library... it's a saga of a story Im' sure you don't want to hear it. lol long story short- the waiting periods are ABSURD for an audiobook (thats newly released). :(

message 13: by Justine (new)

Justine | 15 comments there's always downloaded them illegally on pirate bay or torlock

message 14: by Jill (new)

Jill Kleis We have an audible subscription, but my husband has first dibs on book choices, since he listens every day on his commute. You can also download them from the library's overdrive site. If your library system has super long wait times, it might be worthwhile to buy a library card for a major metropolitan library system (Philly, NYC, etc) where they have a wider selection and shorter wait times. Since you will be downloading them from the internet, you don't need to be near the city to have access to their complete overdrive collection.