The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

Discussion > Your Bookshelves!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 434 comments Mod
Post a picture of your own bookshelf/shelves here or tell us how you organise you books. I love hearing about how other people arrange their books and I love seeing pictures of them even more! Have fun! :P

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie | 4 comments I don't know how to upload pics but I organize my books based on how thick they are.... I'm weird!!!! :)

message 3: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

That's not weird! It actually a really good Idea.
I use all my thick books as booksends to stop all the other ones falling off though :)

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments I don't have a bookshelf really. My books are scattered everywhere lol!

message 5: by Lilac , Moderator (last edited Mar 09, 2013 03:55PM) (new)

Haha, my bookshelf is so full mine are getting like that too :).
I'll post a picture of them sometime in the next week

message 6: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments Haha I know right?

Btw would you like to join my group Goodreads All Sorts: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/9...
We're only a month old and already have 240 members!

message 7: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

That's impressive! I'll take a look but can't promise to be hugely active over the next few weeks - too much going on :)

message 8: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments That's no problem Lilac. :)

message 9: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Not the best picture but these are my shelves. :)
Quite a few books aren't there but that's basically it.

message 10: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 7 comments Nice bookcase. Looks very organized.
By series right?
Mine are in my profile :)
I usually arrange them by subject, and height, sort of.

message 11: by Lilac , Moderator (last edited Mar 17, 2013 01:58AM) (new)

Yes, by series. I've tried to organise them in other ways too but I can never quite fit them all in where I want them (hence the dictionary in the middle of mostly YA books).

message 12: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Just looked at your profile pictures and wow, you have a lot of books! I really want to have that many books eventually. :)

message 13: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 7 comments Don't worry, by the time you reach my age (you have 13 years) I'm sure you'll have way more than me. Unfortunately, I don't really have any space for more books so I only purchased about ten new books over the last two years.
I use my Kindle for reading now.

message 14: by Destany (new)

Destany | 8 comments I do mine by series

message 15: by Haley (new)

Haley | 5 comments I do mine by alphabetically with the authors last name. It keeps all the series together and for a while i did it by color lol

message 16: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 525 comments I have just started my book collections, I was just getting them from the library but now I am slowly buying my books. I am in the process of making a floating book case, and not sure how I will organize them.

message 17: by Daniela (last edited Jun 17, 2013 08:32AM) (new)

Daniela | 429 comments I organise my books by series too but want to experiment with colours. Sort of like the group banner :D Has anyone tried this? If so, how did it go/what were your thoughts on it?

message 18: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I've done mine by height, this really works because not only does the bookshelf look organized but books in series are generally the same height!!! I am considering changing to alphabetical by author's last name though.

message 19: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Height is a good idea but don't you just hate it when you get the first few books in a series in paperback but when a new one is released it's only released in hardback at first. That sometimes messes it up, unless the hardback is the same size as the paperbacks, like with the Harry Potter series.

message 20: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Yeah I know what you mean, in general for series though I try to get hardcover simply because it looks nicer in my opinion. I'm probably going to rearrange soon though!

message 21: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments Oh god yes, all of my Riordan books are a frustrating mixture of hardback and paperback copies!

message 22: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments My sister got the whole hardcover set so it works for me!

message 23: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments Lucky bugger! :P

message 24: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Yup! :)

message 25: by Kayla (new)

Kayla De Leon (kayladeleon) Guys I just ran out of space on the floor for my books...

message 26: by Eveline (new)

Eveline I've sorted my books in alphabetical order (by writer).
I have 3 long shelfs with books, but I'm running out of space :(

message 27: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Kayla wrote: "Guys I just ran out of space on the floor for my books..."

That's hilarious!!!! And yeah Kayla and Eveline, I used to be picky about what books I kept in my room and which books I left in my living room but now I'm running out of space, so I think I'm going to have to get rid of my fun games shelf and replace it with more books :D

message 28: by Kelly (last edited Jun 20, 2013 10:15AM) (new)

Kelly Hull (kellyvan) | 50 comments

This is the book shelf in the office.

My categories:
1) Great adult books I have read
2) Favorites for YA
3) Series and scrapbooks
4) Favorite series and favorite books
5) Randoms
6) Unread YA that get a lot of buzz
7) Favorite YAs
8) Yet to be read
9) Dean Koontz has his own shelf, but I've only read Taken so far
10) Whole shelf of writing books
11) Self-help/non-fiction
12) Spiritual

The ones in their own "stands" facing forward are favorites or yet to be read as in "next please!"

message 29: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I am so jealous of your bookshelf Kelly- it looks so awesome!!!!!

message 30: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Cool! Those are great bookshelves! :)

message 31: by Trista (last edited Jun 22, 2013 08:59AM) (new)

Trista (islandgeekgirl) | 28 comments These are actually a little outdated because I tend to re-organize weekly.

message 32: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments Do you guys think Trista likes hardbacks maybe? :p Jk awesome bookshelves Trista!

message 33: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hull (kellyvan) | 50 comments Trista wrote: "These are actually a little outdated because I tend to re-organize weekly.
"

Nice :)

message 34: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Where did you get those shelves Trista- they are seriously awesome!!!

message 35: by Trista (new)

Trista (islandgeekgirl) | 28 comments Daniela wrote: "Do you guys think Trista likes hardbacks maybe? :p Jk awesome bookshelves Trista!"

LOL I have little patience to wait for the paperback releases. Thanks:)

message 36: by Trista (new)

Trista (islandgeekgirl) | 28 comments Kelly wrote: "Trista wrote: "These are actually a little outdated because I tend to re-organize weekly.
"

Nice :)"

message 37: by Trista (new)

Trista (islandgeekgirl) | 28 comments Riya wrote: "Where did you get those shelves Trista- they are seriously awesome!!!"

The first one my dad actually made for my sister and I but she doesn't read much. The diagonal one's from Amazon.

message 38: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments That's awesome- no one in my family could build something :p
I seriously love the diagonal one though, I need to get one for myself!!!

message 39: by Trista (new)

Trista (islandgeekgirl) | 28 comments Riya wrote: "That's awesome- no one in my family could build something :p
I seriously love the diagonal one though, I need to get one for myself!!!"

LOL yeah, I stay away from high powered rotating blades.
The only problem with it was finding a place where I could still see both rows of books. I have an irrational fear of forgetting I own books if I hide them behind other books.

message 40: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments lol that's hilarious!!!!! I would probably do that though- which is depressing considering how awesome books are :D

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

i dont know how to post a pic, but i do it by color. haha

message 42: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments ooo, how does that work- wouldn't it separate series and what not?

message 43: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 7 comments Very nice bookshelves, Kelly and Trista :)

@Savannah
click on the link above the comment box that says 'some html is ok' and you'll see en example.
Just change the link in the example with the link to your photo. You'll need to upload the photo to an image hosting site (or goodreads) so you'll have a link to it.

message 44: by roshay (new)

roshay (sadderdaze) My bookshelf is...small, white, and I hate it. :) Actually, there are hardly and books of mine. Just my brother's. My books are generally from the library or on my Kindle.

message 45: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 50 comments I have two: a small one and an almost-floor-to-ceiling one. No organization, they just go where they fit!

message 46: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 7 comments Shrishti~Dauntless~Through and Through wrote: "My bookshelf is...small, white, and I hate it. :) Actually, there are hardly and books of mine. Just my brother's. My books are generally from the library or on my Kindle."

Don't worry Shrishti, at the end of the day what really counts is the content of the books :)

All of my books are now in boxes so I only have my Kindle.

message 47: by Abbie (last edited Jun 30, 2013 06:08AM) (new)

Abbie I have a big bookcase, a medium bookcase, and then i have 3 shelves undrneath/side of my desk. I have loads piled up underneath there too.

For the books underneath i make a line with some books i had when i was younger (Oliver Twist, Great expectations, Andersons tales ect) Then i have 3 different piles on top of them. (If that makes sense) and they just fit nicely to the top.
Then i have a line of books infront of the others.
I'll take pictures when i find my camera.

I basically just put mine where they fit, but i keep books from the same author together.

My big bookcase is mainly full of black books, the odd one is colored though from where series changed covers (So annoying!) And my other is really colorful. My desk consists of both. :)

message 48: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Nice! Mine's just a wooden medium bookcase which doesn't fit too much. My room doesn't work nicely with anything else though, but when I go to college I'm definitely gonna get a huge, cool, modern bookcase :)

message 49: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean The first two shelves are 2 books deep. The last picture is 3 books deep

photo bookshelf_zps0762b948.jpg

photo bookshelf1_zps4735860e.jpg

photo 100MEDIAIMAG0247.jpg

photo mms_picture31.jpg

photo mms_picture4.jpg

message 50: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Haha- I love it!

« previous 1