Jane Austen discussion

Fringe or no fringe?/ Bangs so I am told ;)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sophie | 2624 comments Mod
I am contemplating whether or not to get a fringe. I haven't had one for ages. I am thinking along the lines of Keira Knightley's style when she played Lizzie Bennet. I have similar hair, long, then she has a fringe with sort of graduated side bits as well. Any photos of her as Lizzie show what I mean.

What do we think? Photo of me in the group photos :)

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) Go for it :) Worse case, you don't like it, you can grow it out!
Every time I see Zooey Deschanel (love her in the TV series New Girl), I want her hair and consider having a fringe cut.

message 3: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Ohh another person I shall get photos of to take. I think I will do it.

Anyone else I should consider hair styley wise?

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments whats a fringe? mind elaborating?

message 5: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Um. Hard to explain. Like you either have one or you don't. Hair across your forehead I suppose?

message 6: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 48 comments Caro wrote: "whats a fringe? mind elaborating?"

It's bangs, Caro. ;)

message 7: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Bangs?!?

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments bangs?? no way!

message 9: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

i repeat, bangs?!? where does that come from?!

message 10: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

whats your opinion then Caro, now you understand? :)

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 10 comments Soph wrote: "i repeat, bangs?!? where does that come from?!"

lol! Alice told me you were thinking of getting fringe and I asked "What's fringe?" :) I have no idea where the term Bangs came from, but that is what I have always called them! I recently cut my long Bangs to have shorter Fringe right above my eyes (like Lizzy) ;D

message 12: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Which is what my plan is!! going from no 'bangs' to lizzy 'bangs' ;) you approve then? ;)

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 10 comments Soph! Check this out:

"Bangs," the hair style, does indeed come from the same roots as "bang," the sound of a gun, a slamming door, or countless other abrupt noises. The word "bang" first appeared in written English in the 16th century, but is thought to have been known in the dialects of Northern England long before that date. "Bang" comes from an Old Norse word "banga" meaning "to hammer," and is a linguistic relic of the Viking invasions of England beginning in the eighth century. "Bang" at first meant "to strike violently," but gradually the word came to be used for any sudden or violent movement, especially one which caused a loud noise. One of the earliest written examples of this expanded sense of "bang" refers to slamming a door, an apparently universal human action which may yet prove to be as great an instrument of self- expression as the typewriter. Aside from doors, nearly anything could go "bang," from guns to pianos, and "bang" also came to mean fight or beat up.

"Bang" continued to evolve, and by the 19th century was used to convey suddenness or finality, which brings us at last from Old Norse hammers to modern haircuts. "Bangs" are so-called because they are created by cutting the hair "bang- off," abruptly and straight across the forehead. And finally, at the risk of offending our bang-coiffed readers, I must tell you that "bangs" as a young lady's hairstyle almost certainly originated with the practice of cutting horses' tails straight across, a style known to this day as a "bang-tail."

message 14: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Hahaha. Thanks! That is really interesting and makes more sense... :)

message 15: by Carolyn (last edited Dec 18, 2012 05:08PM) (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments i google imaged it I HATE BANGS that is. my conclusion XD

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 10 comments Soph wrote: "Which is what my plan is!! going from no 'bangs' to lizzy 'bangs' ;) you approve then? ;)"

I do! And as Sarah Louise said, if you decide you prefer longer bangs/fringe, you can always grow it right back out!

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments :) Soph, I think you probably already know I approve of your plan - seeing as I just got mine done like Lizzie's, and I love it! I think you will look great!

And as to the issue of "bangs" vs. "fringe" - well, I can honestly say I have always used the word "fringe" and rather despise the word "bangs" for a hairstyle. In any case, the word sounds far too modern for a Regency-inspired hairstyle, in my view.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I've heard 'bangs' on American TV shows, but fringe is definitely the word you want when you go to the hairdresser in England :)
Are you going to take some pics with you? You'll have to show us all what it looks like!

message 19: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sorry Caro... Hopefully I can pull it off!!

Thanks Nicole!! And that is true.... :)

Becca yeah, I thought you would agree and km win you about fringe vs bangs! ;)

Sarah course I will take pics and I will upload one to the group photos :)

message 20: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 48 comments I think you should go for it, Soph!
I had my sister cut me a "fringe" earlier this year & loved it. I have since then grown my "fringe/bangs" back out, but I might get them cut again, who knows... ;)

message 21: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I think I will! I want to keep my length to my hair but would like a change so fringe/bangs is the way to go!!

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph - when I had mine done I got my hair slightly layered, so it did become a little shorter. Don't know if you want to do that though. :)

message 23: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Thanks for the idea :)

message 24: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Go for it if you desire Soph, I like seeing them but since I do not have the hair for them, I never tried that style.

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph wrote: "Thanks for the idea :)"

Your welcome. :)

message 26: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Thanks Marren :(

message 27: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Thanks Marren :)

message 28: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Photo in my (not the group) photos :)