Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Cooking Chat > Your Favourite Cookbooks of 2012

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (leekat) | 1027 comments Mod
In anticipation of receiving a gift certificate for Christmas, I wanted to ask you all what your favorite cookbooks published in the last year were. What were the most interesting additions to your cookbook collection this past year? Any surprises?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee, Great thread topic.

Much to my shock, and even though I doubt I'll buy this or make anything from it, I'm incredibly impressed with Artisan Vegan Cheese by Miyoko Nishimoto Schinner. The recipes actually seem doable and I think they're probably currently among the best vegan cheeses out there. And I love her. You and your family might enjoy this book, and the recipe results might also make for effective vegan outreach.

I also really liked Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies by Nava Atlas.

Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine That's Easy and Delicious by Laura Theodore was actually published in October 2011 but I really like that one as well.

message 3: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Great! I definitely have my eye on Artisan Vegan Cheese. I'm glad you both recommend it.

I'll check out a few of the others too. I was wondering about the Donna Klein Chinese cookbook.

message 4: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Oh, that one is definitely on my wishlist! I just recently started making sandwiches again and am really enjoying different combinations. I've been loving this roasted red pepper spread from Bulgaria and slathering it all over everything.

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica Arrrrghh!!! I am trying to control my ridiculous vegan cookbook habit, but you guys are such enablers! :-) I thought I could get away with skipping Artisan Vegan Cheese, but after seeing this I went and read all the reviews on Amazon, and now it is on my wish list. Sigh.

Let's see. My favorites of 2012, in order, are:

Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat

Wild about Greens: 125 Delectable Vegan Recipes for Kale, Collards, Arugula, BOK Choy, and Other Leafy Veggies Everyone Loves

Practically RAW: Flexible Raw Recipes Anyone Can Make

Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love

Honorable Mention because not many pictures: Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family

message 6: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Oooooh, nice! Some new ones. The Vegan Food Gifts book sounds interesting! Definitely going to check that out.

And Wild about Greens: 125 Delectable Vegan Recipes for Kale, Collards, Arugula, BOK Choy, and Other Leafy Veggies Everyone Loves seems to be a clear favourite along with the Artisan Cheese book.

I still don't own a raw cookbook so I'm glad to see that on your list, Monica.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Monica and All, I'm trying not to buy ANY books but I might get that vegan food gifts book. I've had my eye on it ever since I saw its listing.

message 8: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

It's a great idea for a cookbook. My library has actually ordered copies! Shocking and wonderful!

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee wrote: "It's a great idea for a cookbook. My library has actually ordered copies! Shocking and wonderful!"

That's great, Lee!