Oprah's Book Club (Official) discussion

Philadelphia & Jubilee > Oprah's Notes and Favorite Passages

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by OBC (new)

OBC  | 316 comments Mod
Quote: "All over Philadelphia the people rose in the crackling cold to stoke the furnaces in their basements. They were united in these hardships." - The Twelve Tribes of Hattie

Oprah's Note: I love that line because it gave me a sense memory of the feeling you get when everybody in the community is united. I remember that myself from when I was growing up. I also remember leaving the community where we had been united and being surprised to later learn that we were considered poor. Because when you're united in your hardships, poverty doesn't feel so poor.

For even more of Oprah's notes and favorite passages, check out: Oprah's Favorite Passages

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin | 0 comments I looked on Oprah's book club website and one of her favorite passages from the chapter is:

"Hattie clambered from the train, her skirt still hemmed with Georgia mud, the dream of Philadelphia round as a marble in her mouth and the fear of it a needle in her chest."

This too, is one of my favorite passages in the whole book so far. It shows such promise for Hattie and the hope of a fresh start- unfortunately, little does she know that tragedy will strike in her life.

message 3: by Aguedalandia (new)

Aguedalandia | 24 comments My favorite quote broke my heart as it did to Hattie:

"Hattie’s children died in the order in which they were born: first Philadelphia, then Jubilee."

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin | 0 comments Agueda wrote: "My favorite quote broke my heart as it did to Hattie:

"Hattie’s children died in the order in which they were born: first Philadelphia, then Jubilee.""

Yes! When I read that quote I put the book down for a minute and just thought about how Hattie was feeling! It was heart wrenching.

message 5: by Aguedalandia (new)

Aguedalandia | 24 comments Erin wrote: "Agueda wrote: "My favorite quote broke my heart as it did to Hattie:

"Hattie’s children died in the order in which they were born: first Philadelphia, then Jubilee.""

Yes! When I read that quote ..."

I thought they would get better and then....
This is why I love reading I'm not a mom yet and after that line i felt like they were my children, I think we all mourned with Hattie.

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin | 0 comments I agree. Mathis makes you feel an emotional connection with the characters. I felt like I was right there with Hattie.

message 7: by Linda (last edited Dec 20, 2012 04:59AM) (new)

Linda (mspianobug) I agree that line was heart breaking. During that whole scene I kept panicking and thinking how lucky we are to have antibiotics, and remembering myself as a child with pneumonia and mom forcing huge pills down my throat. Hattie was only about 17 and how horrible, unspeakable, this experience was for her.

After that scene I was soooooo hooked on the book.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda (mspianobug) I am reading on a Kobo ereader. I have been having a terrible time because I will get so far and then it flips to Oprah's notes and it won't go back. So I have to go back to the chapter and find where I was but each time I get to the O spot, it flips to the end. Now I am reading it on the computer trying to get past that point.

It might work with the Sony reader, but not the Kobo. Frustrating because its always at the crucial spot.

message 9: by Jabulani (new)

Jabulani Nzilane (vukosi11) | 1 comments I wish I could afford those gadgets. just a broke author with no sales to my e/books

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I happened to go out and price a hard back edition of a book I've got on my kindle to read. I was just curious what the hardback price would be. I sat in shock for quite awhile, the cost was $132.00 I will be sticking to my kindle. :) the prices of the ebooks are quite a bit less then a hardback or paperback not to mention all the free ebooks I've downloaded. My kindle paid for itself in no time at all.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda (mspianobug) Here in Toronto I use the Public library and my copy of Hattie came from there. We have most new books available to download and after three weeks they disappear and we can re borrow them if we wish.

message 12: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) My favorite Oprah quote:
"..she tried to make it so the girl did not live this alone."

How often have we held a loved one in our arms in a feeble effort to ease some of their pain!

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela Ross Williams (cdlady) | 28 comments To Lynn, wow not sure what service quoted you on hardcover, however, the price ran from $12 - $24 depending on store/online service used. I was sure an iPad or kindle was $132. The quotes above are US dollars so not sure how it converts to Canadian dollars. Anyway, enjoy the book and look forward to your discussions.

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn The book I was looking for was not The Twelve Tribes of Hattie. I think I found some first edition collectors book or something, believe me I about fell out of my chair when that price popped up. I was searching Amazon and my mother suggested checking out Barnes & Noble and the book was a normal price on their site.

message 15: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Sanders (shellysanders) | 2 comments Erin wrote: "Agueda wrote: "My favorite quote broke my heart as it did to Hattie:

Yes! When I read that quote ..."

My son had pneumonia when he was just a few weeks old and I remember being eternally grateful for modern medicine. This scene brought back my fear; I couldn't imagine watching not one but two babies die at the same time. This is a pivotal scene that draws you in and makes you want to see what happenes to Hattie.

message 16: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie Shelly wrote: "Erin wrote: "Agueda wrote: "My favorite quote broke my heart as it did to Hattie:

Yes! When I rea..."

Shelly, I cannot imagine the fear that this scene brought back. Thank goodness for modern medicine and your son's healing from pneumonia.

message 17: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie Yes, we all mourned the death of Philadelphia and Jubilee. I had to put my NOOK down for a second after reading the last heartbreaking line of that chapter.

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Krstinovski | 18 comments This definitely a great quote. It differently reminds me of growing up and that where I live was referred to as West Hill and surrounded by other small community's that competed with in sports and your association of where you lived.

message 19: by Staci (new)

Staci (staclynn) | 2 comments I have the audiobook and listening to it through audible.com. I have to adjust to this new format.

message 20: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Stepan | 3 comments I almost stopped reading the book upon the death of the twins, it was so sad, but like Hattie I continue to persevere through all the heartbreak. If she could do it so could I.

message 21: by Khadijah (new)

Khadijah Johnson | 4 comments "The woman regarded Hattie closely. “I’ll come round with you now to look in on your little ones,” she said. Hattie declined. She had been a fool, a silly girl too prideful to admit she needed looking in on. She went home by herself clutching the bag of eucalyptus."

This was my favorite quote of the chapter. It was a flashback of my own young life; a 17 year old kid with a baby girl harnessed to my chest, living in the city of Philadelphia. Smart and strong...but prideful and hard-headed at the same time.

Wow...that line really hit home, and took me way back.

message 22: by Alex (new)

Alex Ortiz | 4 comments "She had been a fool, a silly girl too prideful to admit she needed looking in on."

It takes some of us many years- well into adulthood- to realize that allowing others to help us OR even asking for their help is the best thing we can do for ourselves most times.