Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > best vampire movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by David (new)

David Mccallion | 9 comments please no twlight there not vampires

message 2: by Ardy (new)

Ardy Ardy (ardybooks) | 1657 comments My favorite vampire movies include The Vampire's Assistant, Salem's Lot (both versions), Interview with the Vampire, the Blade Trilogy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and of course, Vampire's Suck. Having been dragged to every Twilight movie, I loved that last one. But something can be said for crappy vamire movies. The worst vamp movie I ever saw, some straight to video B movie from the late nineties, inspired by own novel, just cause I thought I could do better!

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments The Lost Boys, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Bela Lugosi Dracula, Love at First Bite, Salem's Lot, and all the Christopher Lee ones

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments Oh - and Fright Night (both versions)

message 5: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1614 comments Near Dark, Blade Trilogy, Underworld, Innocent Blood, The Insatiable...

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments Blade II, 30 Days of Night, Vampire$, and Gary Oldman's Dracula.

message 7: by Ardy (new)

Ardy Ardy (ardybooks) | 1657 comments I forgot Daybreakers and that old classic Once Bitten!

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments I forgot Nosferatu. Thanks, Scott.

message 9: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Rankin (jmrankin) | 58 comments Has to be Interview with the Vampire, as well as The Lost Boys, Dracula and Underworld.

message 10: by Rich (new)

Rich (Epitaph) | 14 comments Hammer films Dracula starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. All others im"pale by comparison".

message 11: by D4ngerousBeans (new)

D4ngerousBeans | 122 comments Rich wrote: "Hammer films Dracula starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. All others im"pale by comparison"."

I grew up on the Hammer horrors , some great vampire movies in there , The original Fright Night , and 40 Days of Night really brought back scary vampires.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Fright Night (original) was great fun. Didn't see the remake yet. I got to meet Chris Sarandon at a convention and picked out a Fright night one and told him how much I loved him in the movie. Also has a great score that I have.

I didn't care much for Interview, a bit too emo and boring for me. However, the score is one of the best music pieces I own.

I don't like most vampire movies (although I love vampires) Lost boys was fun but to me is overrated. Near Dark was okay but had big flaws. The original Dracula was good but I prefer the other Universal movies.

I read - and loved Salem's lot this year. I was excited to watch the movie but couldn't get into it.

message 13: by Carly (new)

Carly Nicholas (zombie_girl) | 175 comments Check out the following: Daybreakers,Fright Night, Dracula (1931), Frank Langella was in a vampire film (don't know the name of it, but he played Dracula), Tale of a vampire, Lust for a vampire (Hammer Horror), Nosferatu, Dracula 2001, Dracula (BBC Drama)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Thirst, Fright Night, Dracula(1979)Frank Langella was excellent as Dracula.
Salem's Lot, Interview With The Vampire, The Kiss, Horror Of Dracula, Vampires, I Desire, Blade, Fright Night, The Bat, The Hunger.

message 15: by Carly (new)

Carly Nicholas (zombie_girl) | 175 comments Anyone know the name of the guy that plays the vampire in Dark Prince:The true story of Dracula? I think he played Dracula in Buffy the vampire slayer..

message 16: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 814 comments Rudolf Martin

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Squire, you're a fountain of horror knowledge. My hat is off to you.

message 18: by Carly (new)

Carly Nicholas (zombie_girl) | 175 comments Thanks

message 19: by Feliks (last edited Aug 11, 2013 10:55AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) The 1970s --you might say--were the high-water mark for all vampire movies.

First, the Louis Jordan 'Dracula' mini-series produced for PBS (1977); as well as the Jack Palance 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' (1974 tv movie).

These are the two best acting performances ever given as Dracula. As great as Lee and Cushing were, those Hammer films were over-the-top, slightly ham-acting. Not necessarily a bad thing in its day--especially good for the lurid Hammer franchise--but its just a style which comes across as a bit 'heavy' these days; rather than the subtle performances which might better fit modern audiences weaned on DeNiros, Hackmans, Hoffmans, Nicholsons, and Pacinos. I agree though, that Lee was at the top of the heap of all the titles listed so far whether old or new. They possess the proper atmosphere and aura. But Jordan and Palance--both veterans with nothing to prove and nothing to lose--were genius casting choices and each was given a proper environment in which to express their skills. These weren't hurried, or money-conscious projects.

Frank Langella is a good actor; and highly charismatic but that particular 1979 movie--even though it boasted Lawrence Olivier as Van Helsing--was not really scary, it was more a romance.

The most creative vampire film is (mentioned above) and I agree its very effective: the 1979 Australian-produced, 'Thirst'. Not a traditional vampire film, of course, but well-done nevertheless. The theme is institutionalized, corporate vampirism. It also makes use of old-school "don't show" techniques to provoke the viewer's imagination.

Mention should also be made of the pilot movie for Darren McGavin's "Kolchak: Night Stalker" (1974). Now that was damn frightening, even though set in Las Vegas and tied vampirism into a serial-killer plot. The robbery of the blood-bank, nice touch.

"Salem's Lot"--1979 was a bumper year. Anyway this was adequate, acceptable. Decent, even. Somewhat cartoon-panel in places. Slightly weakened by the casting of --who was that--Lance Kerwin?--and David Soul (even though I admit to liking him, usually). Huge boost by the casting of James Mason and a bang-up finale.

"Nosferatu" (1922) famous German-Expressist version silent starring Max Shreck, directed by none other than FW Murnau. Schreck was cursed/blessed with a phsyiognomy which no other actor could enjoy, for a role like this. One of the strangest looking humans ever. And Murnau..well, if you don't know who Murnau was, please investigate.

I mention the 1922 version in order to praise the remake, "Nosferatu the Vampyre" starring Klaus Kinski (1979) and directed by the great Werner Herzog. Perhaps the best, most sensitive and thorough production ever. Meticulous (the 'rats' scene) and painterly in terms of composition and lighting.

I will also give a strong vote to Bela Lugosi as 'Dracula' in Tod Browning's classic 1931 work. It shouldn't be effective, but it is. Lugosi was corny and a man of slight stature--feeble frame--yet there's just something vividly creepy about him which oozes off the screen. He had "it" --whatever "it" is. Plus, Browning was a savant. Surprise to say but its true: a grainy, reedy, old b&w flick like this really can fool the brain into assuming you're participating in nightmare. Whereas, modern hi-tech digital films aren't convincing to the eye at all. Our eyes and our brains do not receive imagery in the same precise manner in which telescopes and microscopes do. We perceive the world fuzzily; filled with shadows and murkiness--and films which are tailored to that are the most effective.

message 20: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 814 comments Kyle wrote: "Squire, you're a fountain of horror knowledge. My hat is off to you."

I always tell people I have 216 useless bits of trivia floating around my head at any one time and if they aren't careful, they'll get the other 215 before I'm done talking.

Of course, every so often, that trivia becomes useful.

:-D

message 21: by Carly (new)

Carly Nicholas (zombie_girl) | 175 comments What is the name of the vampire film, that Frank Langella is in?

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Feliks wrote: "The Louis Jordan 'Dracula' mini-series produced for PBS (1977); as well as the Jack Palance 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' (1974 tv movie).

These are the two best acting performances ever given as Dracul..."

Agree the PBS mini series was great.

message 23: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 814 comments Carly wrote: "What is the name of the vampire film, that Frank Langella is in?"

Dracula (1979)

message 24: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 814 comments "Ravenous."

Not a traditional vampire movie, more of an intelligent mix of vampire/cannibalism genres.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Squire wrote: "Kyle wrote: "Squire, you're a fountain of horror knowledge. My hat is off to you."

I always tell people I have 216 useless bits of trivia floating around my head at any one time and if they aren't..."

We have that in common.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Squire wrote: ""Ravenous."

Not a traditional vampire movie, more of an intelligent mix of vampire/cannibalism genres."

Great film!

message 27: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Near Dark
Horror Of Dracula

message 28: by Dasha (new)

Dasha (abditumsapientia) There is a really weirdy Czech one, whoever's interested, it's called "Valerie and Her Week of Wonders" (1970)

message 29: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Connor Near Dark
The Thompsons

message 30: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Connor I mean The Hamiltons sorry, havnt seen The Thompsons yet! x

message 31: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I thought John Carpenters Vampires was pretty good.

message 32: by Carly (new)

Carly Nicholas (zombie_girl) | 175 comments I think the film is called Perfect Creature, it's about two vampires. They are both after the same women, although one of the vampire wants to protect the woman, while the other one wants to kill her.

message 33: by Anna Maria (new)

Anna Maria | 19 comments Oh yeah the pbs series, especially the part he crawls up the wall, so scary just talking about it gives me goose bumps.

message 34: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) for sure. Louis Jordan crawling downward like a lizard upon the turret is freaky

message 35: by Ron (last edited Jul 12, 2013 10:43AM) (new)

Ron | 373 comments Well, there's the tried and true (Vampyr, Nosferatu, etc.)- but as far as more recent movies...other than Near Dark and Strigoi..drawing a blank...

message 36: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel Brehmer | 33 comments My top vampire movies would have to be Fright Night (1985), Martin (1977), Near Dark (1987), Let the Right One In (2008), Nosferatu (1922), Nosferatu (1979), We Are the Night (2011), Horror of Dracula (1958), Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992), Rabid (1978)

message 37: by Rob (last edited Jul 13, 2013 02:11PM) (new)

Rob | 112 comments Alot of my other favorite vampire movies were mentioned but I didn't see one on this list so I thought I'd add it.

Cronos (1993) Guillermo del Toro's first film.

Subspecies (1991) wasn't a very good movie in of itself, but Radu is one of my favorite screen vampires.

message 38: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Another good one is Shadow of the Vampire, a retelling of the making of Nosferatu with a real vampire playing the title role.

I also thought Let Me In (the 2010 English version of Let the Right One In, which I haven't yet seen) was one of the best of the more recent vampire movies.

message 39: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) Everybody beat me to it. I'd say Lost Boys, Fright Night, 30 Days of Night, and From Dusk Till Dawn.

message 40: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I enjoyed Interview with the Vampire. The story line and characters went well with the book. However I didn't really care for Queen of the Damned as much. I enjoyed it the first time I watched it but the second time years later I didn't find it as good..

message 41: by Phebe (new)

Phebe | 15 comments Love at First Bite was truly delightful.

But my favorite was Dracula (1979) with Frank Langella. True, as Feliks says, it was a romance. Still, VERY scary to me! But for a woman, Frank Langella was THE most romantic Dracula ever, no use even looking anywhere else.

I still watch it sometimes......

The Angry Lawn Gnome (mostlyharmlessreviews) Kyle wrote: "Thirst, Fright Night, Dracula(1979)Frank Langella was excellent as Dracula.
Salem's Lot, Interview With The Vampire, The Kiss, Horror Of Dracula, Vampires, I Desire, Blade, Fright Night, The Bat, The Hunger. ..."

Glad I'm not the only person in the universe who liked The Hunger. Still and all, I'm afraid I'd personally mark it down as more "guilty pleasure" than as anything else.

message 43: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10825 comments Mod
interview with the vampire, nosferatu (all versions that I've seen so far-the original, the remake & the one with the typp o negative soundtrack. if u don't like their music, ignore this one). the subspecies series, bram stoker's Dracula, daybreakers, lost boys, there is so many. i like we are the night a lot. it's streaming on Netflix right now(7.18.13). there is so many vampire movies i love i'm sure i'm leaving out some :(

message 44: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10825 comments Mod
Rob wrote: "Alot of my other favorite vampire movies were mentioned but I didn't see one on this list so I thought I'd add it.

Cronos (1993) Guillermo del Toro's first film.

Subspecies (1991) wasn't a very g..."

i LOVE radu! he is awesome <3 i wouldn't let him bite me but i'd definitely hang out with him! i watched cronos but sadly, it's probably my least favorite GdT film so far, and i really love his work.

message 45: by Kit (new)

Kit | 146 comments Nosferatu, Dracula - Prince of Darkness, Fright Night (original), Near Darling, The Lost boys, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Interview With The Vampire, From Dusk Till Dawn, John Carpenter's Vampire, Let The Right One In

message 46: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Boydstun Freakiest vampire movie for me is Salem's Lot. But Lost Boys and the original Fright Night are two of the most fun since they feature a great mixture of humor and horror.

Best kick-butt vampire flick is Blade.

message 47: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Berntson | 2 comments I would have to say,
The Hunger,
Let the Right One In,
Shadow of the Vampire,
Nosferatu (Werner Herzog)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

message 49: by Teresa (new)

Teresa B. | 883 comments ah.. my favorites

1. let the right one in
2. lost boys
3. fright night
4. blade movies

message 50: by Jason (last edited Aug 12, 2013 01:14PM) (new)

Jason Parent | 741 comments That's a good list, Teresa. I liked both the original and the remake of Fright Night. I would add John Carpenter's Vampires to it and From Dusk til Dawn

« previous 1