SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Libriomancer (Magic Ex Libris, #1)
This topic is about Libriomancer
December Discussions > Libriomancer-December 2012

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Donna (donnahr) I finished the book and enjoyed it. It's a quick, light read, no Big Questions here! It was fun though. I really liked the magic system--being able to reach into books and pull out objects--who wouldn't want to do that?

The book seemed a bit of a mish-mash of ideas. Magic is supposed to be hidden in the world but there are vampires, werewolves, dryads, golems...running around, does nobody notice?

The relationship between Isaac and Lena was a bit creepy for me. A creature who is essentially a sex slave, even if she's happy in her work, is just a bit too off-putting.

This is the kind of series that I can enjoy but the Kindle price point of $11.99 for something so fluffy will really make me hesitate to continue with the next book whenever it comes out.

message 2: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 18, 2012 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 0 comments I think the kindle price is because it's only out in hardcover; should drop when paperback release.

Book is one of my all time favorites (Like you, I do hope the Lena character and whatever relationships are happening grows away from the creepy bits and with this author I expect that to happen). I really enjoyed the Isaac character, the magic, the action and Jim C. Hines definitely wrote some bits that really struck a chord with the booklover in me.

(Slightly off topic rant - The ebook prices, well, hardcovers at this price okay I guess. I bought my kindle when they were advertising NY Times bestsellers $9.99 max with most hardcovers under $18. I suppose years later seeing most bestseller hardcovers at $12.99 still okay—but sheesh I am seeing some really steep ebook pricing with books out in paperback running $12-$30 and that I don't get. Honestly, I would have waited for paperback edition of this one if I had not already been a big fan of author and been eagerly awaiting the release. )

David (waelse1) It was a pretty good story, the magic and characters made it seem like a cross between Jim Butcher and Piers Anthony. Fairly light-hearted compared to recent Dresden Files tomes which I enjoyed. I'll be interested to check out other works by the author.

Suzanne I started this one a little late, but I'm glad I decided to read it. All of the references to other books and their magic uses are fun! Since I'm reading it on the Kindle, I do keep wondering how the advent of e-readers affects libromancers - it seems like they need "real" books.

Donna (donnahr) Suzanne wrote: "Since I'm reading it on the Kindle, I do keep wondering how the advent of e-readers affects libromancers - it seems like they need "real" books. "

That's a great point! Maybe it's like the matrix...

message 6: by Ben (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ben Rowe (benwickens) I found this book a lot of fun and I think most fantasy and readers would enjoy it. It has a fair amount of humor and is a quick and entertaining read.

Its a good mixture of reasonably interesting ideas handled in a witty and entertaining way with interesting characters.