Addicted to Novels - YA Books and more... discussion

Kevin Mullikin
This topic is about Kevin Mullikin
Kevin Mullikin (December 17th, 2012)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Kevin Mullikin
Who are you? Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I am a 31 year old Army Reservist living in the Sacramento Area of California. I have a beautiful wife and two wonderful children. I have been reading young adult, fantasy, and comic books since I was a child. I also play the guitar and drums in addition to a love for the sport of mixed martial arts.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

What type of books do you write?

As of right now, I am only working on novels with a fantasy background.

When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?

I started writing when I was 25. I finished the first draft of my novel, Relics and Wonder: Lombard's Amulet in 2007.

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?

I do most of my writing at home, however I am also fond of working on my stories at a good coffee shop (there's something about the atmosphere of a Starbucks or local coffee house that I really enjoy).

What inspired you to write your first book?

My first book was inspired by a game I played with some friends in college.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

I have to list two: JK Rowling and JRR Tolkien. What I enjoy so much about both is their abilitiy to create rich worlds and background stories to their already intricate plots.

How do you react to a bad/good review of one of your books?

Feedback is feedback. Not everyone is going to enjoy your book, and even those who enjoy it may not completely understand it. It's important to take all feedback as a person's opinion. Writing is an art, and since it is an art, there are always going to be styles that an author is prone to that can have a huge impact on whether or not someone enjoys a book. It's okay to get a bad review. Just roll with the punches and take the criticism at face value.

What’s more important: characters or plot?

This is a very hard question to answer. Both are extremely important. I have read books where the plot was so intricate, but I felt like I never really got to know the characters. And then I think of Seinfield, where the characters were what made the show, and people would often say, "Seinfield is that Sitcom about...well, nothing." I guess I would say that chacraters are slightly more important, but I am a huge advocate of plot as well.

If your book was made into a TV series or Movie, what actors would you like to see playing your characters?

Draygon would be Chris Hemsworth (Thor). Zekiel would be Jared Padalecki (Supernatural). Kyra would be Miley Cyrus. Eliana would be Olivia Wilde. Ness would be Zachary Quinto (Sylar from Heroes). Prodegy would be Robin Williams.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Read a lot of books if you want to be a writer. Know your genre very well. Do not skimp on a good editor.

Will you have a new book coming out soon?

Hopefully book two in the Relics and Wonders series will be out Christmas of 2013.

Can you leave us a quote from one of your books?

After removing their bodies from the elaborately decorated hallway, he unlocked the door they were protecting and found a thirteen year old girl asleep in her bed. There she lay, alone and defenseless, or so the world was meant to believe. He knew otherwise. She was dangerous. Deadly. And one day soon, she would be used to unleash the next wave of destruction against the Northern Lands.

Is your book in Print, ebook or both?

Both

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Where can we find your books? Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Ibookstore, Tower Books, Smashwords

My blog: http://www.relicsandwonders.com/
My Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
Twitter: @ProdegyTheDwarf
Amazon: Relics and Wonders: Lombard's Amulet

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Check Out:

Relics and Wonders Lombard's Amulet by Kevin Mullikin - Relics and Wonders: Lombard's Amulet

Fueled by vengeance, a powerful bounty hunter with unexplainable abilities chases a cunning sorcerer and his accomplice across a land populated with elves, vampires, dwarves, and dozens of other enchanted beings. While on their trail, he befriends a mysterious young slave girl whose colossal secret may be the one thing capable of reigniting war between two kingdoms now sworn to protect one another.

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) Kevin, playing the guitar and drums is a great balance to reading and writing! i have been off of both of mine...maybe some day i will pick them up again, lol.

I am with you on the reading:) It is like food for the muse!

Addicted to Novels - YA Books and more...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Relics and Wonders (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kevin Mullikin (other topics)