The Cold War discussion

Spy novels

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurence (new)

Laurence | 7 comments I enjoy Len Deighton and John LeCarre especially. Any suggestions for further exploration?

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave | 1 comments Hello Laurence, I just saw your post and, being a particular fan of Deighton and Lecarre, I have to make a cuple of recommendations. I've only read one of Olen Steinhauer's novels (36 Yalta Boulevard), but I considered it equal to LeCarre's. The biggest difference is that the moral dilemmas are more immediate. While LeCarre focuses on the aristocrats of espionage, Steinhauer's characters are the grunts who actually get their hands dirty. Also, at least some of Steinhauer's stories show the Eastern Bloc side of the game.

One of my favorite authors is Eric Ambler. He uses an interesting technique; most of the stories are told from the perspective of an amateur who finds himself accidentally involved in a spy plot and has to rely on a professional mentor for salvation.

I recently read and enjoyed Topaz, by Leon Uris. This is a spy story occurring during the Cuban missile crisis, but the plot is centered on France.

Good luck.

message 3: by Laurence (new)

Laurence | 7 comments Dave, Thanks for the comments. I know and have read both Ambler and Uris. I've never heard of Steinhauer but I'll check him out. Thanks again, Larry

message 4: by Laurence (new)

Laurence | 7 comments I just finished The Company by Robert Littell. It is a GREAT read. A lengthy tale of the CIA from the 50's to the 90's. Great characters and historical plots. I have the hardback and will gladly send it free to anyone who wants it and will agree to send it on to someone else for free. Just send me an email at xxlryan47@yahoo.com.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (rolymac) | 1 comments Have you read anything by Charles Cumming? I've not read anything by Deighton or LeCarre, but I've enjoyed Cumming's work and he has been described as "the best of the new generation of British spy writers who are taking over where John le Carré and Len Deighton left off". I just finished his "The Trinity Six", which takes as its premise the existence of a sixth Cambridge spy and is probably a good one to start with.

message 6: by Laurence (new)

Laurence | 7 comments Tks, I'll check it out.

message 7: by Drew (new)

Drew (drew85uk) | 1 comments I've been gradually making my way through Frederick Forsyth's body of work and can thoroughly recommend many of his titles. Based on your appreciation of Deighton and Le Carre I can particularly suggest The Fourth Protocol.

message 8: by Laurence (new)

Laurence | 7 comments I've read some of his work. I'm not sure if I have read that particular book but I'll look for it and check it out. Thanks for the recommendation. Your post really surprised me because I have a grandson named Drew. I know you are not him, he's not much of a reader, but it was weird to get an email saying "Drew commented on Goodreads." It's a small world. Take care.

message 9: by Gideon (last edited Sep 29, 2014 02:18PM) (new)

Gideon Asche (gideonasche) | 3 comments Obviously I am one of the authors littering this thread, looking for an audience…

But I also spent 8 years in the field during the cold war and have a story you more than likely have not heard.

After several attempts to appease DOS screeners we fictionalized some details and I have publish this as fact based fiction.

If you have any interest in how it was to operate in the dark on the other side of the wall…. This is as accurate a narration as would be allowed told.

I invite you to check out

JINNIK by Gideon D. Asche

The first 100 readers will receive a certified piece of the Berlin Wall.
The author may be contacted at gideonasche@volcano.net

Photographs from Jinnik and Excerpts are available at

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jinnik...

I do apologize if I overstepped the limits of my participation here but you are some of the few who might actually understand what it was like in the years before the wall came down.

It still haunts my nightmares and I have to remind myself it is gone…

http://my.bookbaby.com/book/jinnik
Jinnik by Gideon D. Asche

Cold War Conversations Podcast (cwcpodcast) | 3 comments Check out Leaving Berlin, the new book from Joseph Kanon. If you are a fan of Alan Furst, David Downing , Rebecca Cantrell or Jonathan Rabb then this is definitely for you.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 11: by Christopher (new)

Christopher McIntosh | 2 comments Those who like thrillers involving East German espionage might enjoy my novel The Lebensborn Boy, co-written under the name of Roy Havelland and loosely based on a real case The Lebensborn Boy by Roy Havelland The Lebensborn Boy. It has been described by the Irish writer Herbie Brennan as "George Orwell meets John le Carré".

message 12: by Gideon (new)

Gideon Asche (gideonasche) | 3 comments Check out this real life story of the cold war...

Jinnik by Gideon D. Asche
Jinnik

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading The Tunnels by Greg Mitchell. Great book about Cold War Berlin right after the wall went up. Highly recommend it.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished The Tunnels: Escapes Under the Berlin Wall-and the Historic Films the JFK White House Tried to Kill by Greg Mitchell. I realize this book is not a novel, but for those of you interested in the Cold War, as I assume all in this Community are, this is a must read. My 5-star review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...