Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

How much of what you read is Science Fiction?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 74 comments From all the fiction you read how much of it is in the Science Fiction genre?

Do you have any specific rules in your SF readings?

Personally, I try to mix my SF readings with other types of novels. Because of that not more than half the books I read are SF. That way I'm more prone to try new things and less to get myself bored of reading a certain type of story.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott 15/60=1/4 of the books I read this year were SF. I don't read any genre exclusively and I always have to mix it up from one book to the next, or like you I start to feel conceptually bored.

message 3: by Weenie (new)

Weenie | 28 comments I too like to mix my SF with other types of books - probably around a quarter of my reading these days is SF.

message 4: by Robert (last edited Dec 18, 2012 04:19PM) (new)

Robert Lewis | 8 comments Probably about a third to half of the fiction I read is SF. The rest is from various genres -- nothing as specific as "SF". But I read a lot of non-fiction too.

message 5: by mark, personal space invader (last edited Dec 19, 2012 12:54AM) (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
about a quarter to a fifth, if that. i like to mix things up. science fiction & fantasy & horror are my 3 favorite genres so any given month i'll be reading at least one of those 3. but i also love classic fiction, modernist & postomodern & other sorts of literary fiction, some mainstream current fiction (not a whole lot of that), comics, steampunk, mysteries & crime fiction, etc. have not gotten a real handle on westerns yet. have tried reading some romance as well as some erotica, with very mixed results. i also am trying to get through the works of various favorite authors like Joyce Carol Oates, Paul Scott, Iain Banks, Angela Carter, many more. clearly i am some sort of book slut. if only i could freeze time to read!

message 6: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) I would say that about 50% of what I read is SF, the rest being made up of mainly fantasy and horror, with a tiny percentage covering anything else.

message 7: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 260 comments I read everything. SF/fantasy and mystery/thriller are my largest categories at between 10-20%. Historical fiction, uncategorized fiction, and various types of non-fiction (history, biography, memoir) are not too far behind. Mystery/thriller are high because they are typically audiobooks that I listen too while physically active because they typically (but not always!) require less close attention. Other than John Connolly's books, I rarely read mystery/thrillers on paper! SF/fantasy, however, I like in every medium available.

message 8: by Edward (new)

Edward | 2 comments 50/50 Non-Fiction/Fiction. I'd estimate about 10% SF and I try to read it from a critical perspective as I would any genre. SF was my gateway genre to literature. I'm always on the lookout for some idea that will blow my mind and occasionally I'm rewarded.

message 9: by Edward (new)

Edward | 2 comments mark wrote: "if only i could freeze time to read!

"

nice metaphor

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 70 comments I'll read just about anything. I read mostly fiction, mysteries, horror and on occasion, when I'm desperate, the back of cereal boxes. :) Mark if you want to read westerns than I would suggest "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry.

message 11: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
thanks for the suggestion, Ruth! i have heard many good things about it. one of these days!

message 12: by Traci (new)

Traci Loudin (traciloudin) | 11 comments I read 100% science fiction and fantasy. There's so much great stuff to read in the genre and I have so many on my to-read shelf I'll never get thru. How do I have time for anything but the best genre? :-)

message 13: by Harkonen (new)

Harkonen | 6 comments About 30% is genre material.

message 14: by Esther (last edited Dec 29, 2012 05:21AM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 82 comments Not enough.
I don't think I ready any in 2012 :0(
The few good books I read were fantasy but most of the paranormal romance/urban fantasy that I read was disappointing. And this year literary fiction has really let me down.

message 15: by Mike (new)

Mike Less as a percent than it used to be (reading equal parts sci-fi, mysteries and urban fantasy these days as opposed to mostly sci-fi) but still a good chunk.

No rules, but I favor space opera over hard sci-fi.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 490 comments Mike wrote: "Less as a percent than it used to be (reading equal parts sci-fi, mysteries and urban fantasy these days as opposed to mostly sci-fi) but still a good chunk.

No rules, but I favor space opera ov..."

I think more people prefer space opera over hard science fiction in part because space opera is much more like fantasy, and fantasy doing better than science fiction as genre.

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan Baxter | 277 comments Mod
Probably a third to a quarter science fiction - I like to keep my reading eclectic!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Last year, around 60% of what I read was sci-fi, the rest a mix of thrillers, historical non-fiction, noir, and fantasy.

message 19: by Robby (new)

Robby | 2 comments It varies month to month, but overall, probably about 50%

message 20: by Weenie (new)

Weenie | 28 comments Vrabinec wrote: "25% sci-fi, 25% fantasy, 25% contemporary, and 25% non-ficton. Oh, and 25% historic."

Wow - 125%!

Where do you find the time? ;-)

message 21: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dyarch) I just went to look up my reading from the past few years and oddly enough I've finished exactly 100 books since the start of 2011. Makes the percentages pretty easy - based on typical genre classifications, I've read 41% science fiction, 17% fantasy, and 42% everything else.

I've skewed toward science fiction more recently, which I think is related to the fact that I find it a lot easier to buy.

message 22: by J (new)

J (blkdoggy) | 8 comments Slowly getting back into it, used to read more when I was younger, I then changed to Horror, mysteries and drama. After I read Altered Carbon it I re-started looking at more sci-fi titles. I'm at about a 25% right now I would say.
Ruth I've read my share of very interesting cereal boxes.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I go through phases as well. Fantasy and Sci fi make up about a third or quarter, but I read a LOT of literary classics and indie stuff in various genres.

message 24: by Paul (new)

Paul Vincent (astronomicon) Looks like my sci-fi quota is higher than most. Of the last 10 books I've read, 8 were scifi, 1 was non-fiction and the last was fantasy (and I dropped it halfway through).

message 25: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery Moulton (jefferymoulton) | 15 comments I don't know specifically, but at least half of my reading is Sci-Fi or Fantasy.

message 26: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 589 comments I would say about 90% of my "Fictional" reading come from the genre "Science Fiction", 9% Fantasy and what's is left general fiction.

However, from all forms of reading SF is about 10% of my reading. Other forms of reading Non-Fictional reading: local news, cookbooks, gardening, Computer Science and Mathematics takes up most of my reading time.

message 27: by Robert (new)

Robert Spake (ManofYesterday) | 13 comments I tend to go through phases with my reading and so far this year I haven't delved into sci-fi (unless you count superhero comics) but I'm sure that will change soon enough.

message 28: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 9 comments I read about 20% science fiction, 70% fantasy and 10% everything else. But when i was younger it was mostly SF.

message 29: by Laz (new)

Laz the Sailor (laz7) I read about 1/3 sci-fi, 1/3 smut, and 1/3 mystery-thriller-etc. One or two non-fiction per year.

message 30: by 'carolyn (new)

'carolyn Elizabeth | 7 comments I would say 90 - 95 percent, the other percentage being vampire and horror.

message 31: by Richard (new)

Richard | 5 comments I would honestly say about 90% of the books I read are science fiction. It's really the only genre that interests me. I read the occasional fantasy or alternate history book if the mood strikes me, but that is not often. It's pretty much all hard science fiction as well.

message 32: by 'carolyn (new)

'carolyn Elizabeth | 7 comments Hi Richard, we are alike in taste...I love the hard stuff best. Favorites are Rocheworld, and Dragon's Egg by Robert Forward. I have tried other genres and I am usually bored in a few pages and put them down. I tried John Grisham once for about 3 paragraphs, at a friend's insistence...in the words of Daffy Duck, "that's enough of that." I love the grand and vast backdrop of scifi, and other genre's seem to tell such small stories compared to that. People sometimes as me why I don't read the great classics. I was force fed Dickens in school...don't have to do that again.

Can you tell me some good hard scifi novels from the last few years? I have been in Romania and not had access to English language scifi, but soon I get a Kindle.

message 33: by Richard (new)

Richard | 5 comments 'carolyn wrote: "Hi Richard, we are alike in taste...I love the hard stuff best. Favorites are Rocheworld, and Dragon's Egg by Robert Forward. I have tried other genres and I am usually bored in a few pages and put..."

I completely agree with you 100%. my tastes used to be varied, but once i started reading hard scifi, i am not satisfied with anything else. Dragons Egg is on the top of my reading list, just need to find a copy.

hmm, Good hard Scifi from the last few years... Most of the books i read are from the local used book store for cheap so its mostly Herbert, Clark, and Asimov. But there are a couple new ones that aren't bad.
The Ender Game series is pretty good, its not new, but since they are making a movie about it, it will probably be on kindle soon. I have heard good things about Robert J. Sawyer just finished reading 'Factoring Humanity' not bad, didn't like the after school special type of ending. but it wasn't bad.
How much does it cost to ship to Romania?

message 34: by Laz (new)

Laz the Sailor (laz7) Just look here in the Author's folder: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_... - lots of writers that are still alive.

message 35: by Scott (new)

Scott Richard wrote: "I have heard good things about Robert J. Sawyer just finished reading 'Factoring Humanity' not bad, didn't like the after school special type of ending. but it wasn't bad."

I read the first WWW book and while I liked the ideas and main character, Sawyer's writing got on my nerves big time. He had to over-explain everything. And there was a curious abundance of product placement!

message 36: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 265 comments Very nearly 100% science fiction, 0% fantasy (except when I re-read LoTR and The Hobbit). A couple times a year I may deviate out of SF to read some comforting classic mysteries (Georges Simenon, Chandler or even John Mortimer's Rumpole works). Every 10 years or so I might find a cosmology or physics book that grabs my attention.

As for rules? I have a list of authors I'll read pretty much anything SF by (Greg Bear, Joe Haldeman, Alastair Reynolds, Iain M. Banks, Frank Herbert, etc.), but otherwise I'll go to a bookstore and randomly look for stuff, read the back cover, the first page, a few random pages in the middle. If it seems well written and the subject seems to be interesting I'll give it a try.

message 37: by Shane (new)

Shane Joyce (shanejoyce) | 6 comments pretty much all of what i read is SF.

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (xitomatl) | 12 comments About half of what I read is sci-fi, maybe a touch more (and this is including the comics that I read as well). The rest of it seems to be mostly mystery (detective fiction really if we want to get right down to it), with some horror, and then a sprinkling of bizarro in for good measure.

I could go into a quantitative breakdown of the kinds of sci-fi I read and then break that out in numbers, but good god, that's even a bit too much for me.

message 39: by Baelor (new)

Baelor | 8 comments One-third of what I read is sci-fi. I have too many others interests -- history, fantasy, science -- to restrict myself to one genre for too long.

message 40: by Wade (new)

Wade Corbeil (wadevc) | 12 comments Well, I'm a little late to this party, but I would say a good 50% of what I read is Science Fiction.

The remainder is made up of Westerns, Horror or (non-fiction) History/Science.

message 41: by Tim (new)

Tim Tofton (tim_t) | 14 comments About 90% sci-fi and 10% fantasy, I'm an engineer and I like the the tech side of scifi

message 42: by Jim (last edited Mar 08, 2014 05:00PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic Approximately 20% of the books I have read are science fiction.

I enjoy and will read almost any genre as long as it is well-written, entertaining and thought-provoking.

message 43: by JackM (new)

JackM (jmbr) | 17 comments Until the end of last year my shelves have been lacking any SciFi. It now rates at about 15% 0f my tbr, the rest being crime fiction.

message 44: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 399 comments A quarter? A third? Most of fiction remainder is fantasy -- and the non-fiction is mostly history -- and it varies quite a bit.

message 45: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm not sure. There was a time that 90% of my reading was science fiction and then I got into mysteries. Now, I would say 10-15% sci-fi, 30% mystery, 10-15% romance, 10% history/historical fiction, 10% nonfiction. Does that add up? Hmmmm

message 46: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 399 comments Add up? Where's the fun in that.

message 47: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I think whether or not it's science fiction is subjective. Margaret Atwood gets lumped into science fiction at times, yet she insists she's writing "speculative" fiction.